11/09/18 02:52 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted By AndyF
I doubt I'll ever meet Maskin but if he asked me for a market analysis I'll tell him that the SB is a dead end, G3 might take off if enough people push on it at the same time, and the BB market has buyers with cash in hand ready to buy blocks today. Given those choice I know where I'd invest.

Sometimes Andy I just don't get you. Plenty of small block guys on here, A bodies only, and Facebook groups. Get out in the world and out of the DYNO room and open your eyes. Countless LA and magnum small block guys racing and winning at the tracks, at least eastern states.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: pittsburghracer] #2576380
11/09/18 03:06 PM
11/09/18 03:06 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
I doubt I'll ever meet Maskin but if he asked me for a market analysis I'll tell him that the SB is a dead end, G3 might take off if enough people push on it at the same time, and the BB market has buyers with cash in hand ready to buy blocks today. Given those choice I know where I'd invest.

Sometimes Andy I just don't get you. Plenty of small block guys on here, A bodies only, and Facebook groups. Get out in the world and out of the DYNO room and open your eyes. Countless LA and magnum small block guys racing and winning at the tracks, at least eastern states.

Great post John

Last edited by B3422W5; 11/09/18 03:06 PM.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: HotRodDave] #2576381
11/09/18 03:08 PM
11/09/18 03:08 PM
Colorado front range
B
BcudaChris Offline
mopar
BcudaChris  Offline
mopar
B

Colorado front range
Originally Posted By madscientist
Originally Posted By BcudaChris
With the supply of Magnum blocks out there in yards, I'd guess it'll be another decade before there is a business case the aftermarket can make work.

Who knows, by that time us small block guys may largely have gone Gen III leaving a tinier space for aftermarket LA blocks.

Comparing a magnum block to a race block is like comparing an anchor to a pillow. It's rediculous.

As may be. The market will decide though, not some dude who can't/won't spell properly but uses cute similes.

What exactly did I spell incorrectly? Also, I don't smile, why would I use one in a post?

I stand by what I said. A magnum block is not a race block, nor will it ever be a race block.

Originally Posted By HotRodDave
Funny how the guy talking smack about the other guys spelling has spelling errors of his own in the very post he made fun of the other guy.

Um.... OK

rediculous is spelled ridiculous

A simile is not smile (not even a cute simile is a smile).

Definition for you:
simile noun
sim·​i·​le | \ˈsi-mə-(ˌ)lē

a figure of speech comparing two unlike things that is often introduced by like or as (as in cheeks like roses) — compare metaphor

Take 5th grade English much?

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: pittsburghracer] #2576402
11/09/18 03:35 PM
11/09/18 03:35 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington

No offense to Andy, because I understand his position. Andy has clearly stated he sold off all his small block crap and Andy makes his living selling parts through his articles and books. So Andy has a vested interest in keeping his costs down. It's the same in most other businesses.

If the small block was to start getting more popular, Andy would have to spend a ton of money to get back into the swing of it.

I was talking to a very prominent man in the dirt bike world back when the 4 stroke was running off the 2 stroke. I was writing an online article on the subject, and this mad was gracious enough to set aside a half hour to let me interview him.

About 5 minutes into the discussion (before I even started to record the interview) he said there was no way the he would continue to support the industry of the 2 and 4 strokes were allowed to compete on an equal displacement basis. He said that he has so much money tied up in tooling, parts, technology and everything else that even an adjustment of the displacement would make the 4 stroke uncompetitive enough it wouldn't be worth using the 4 stroke. So I thanked him, scuttled the article and called the guy who I was writing for and told him what happened.

A few weeks later, an article came out stating the same thing. So my point is, once you have so much money tied up in one thing, it makes it monitarily prohibitive to change horses mid stream.

I think that's where Andy is right now, and I don't want to speak for Andy (but I kinda did) so I get his point, to a point.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: BcudaChris] #2576404
11/09/18 03:38 PM
11/09/18 03:38 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
[quote=BcudaChris]With the supply of Magnum blocks out there in yards, I'd guess it'll be another decade before there is a business case the aftermarket can make work.

Who knows, by that time us small block guys may largely have gone Gen III leaving a tinier space for aftermarket LA blocks.

Comparing a magnum block to a race block is like comparing an anchor to a pillow. It's rediculous.

As may be. The market will decide though, not some dude who can't/won't spell properly but uses cute similes.

What exactly did I spell incorrectly? Also, I don't smile, why would I use one in a post?

I stand by what I said. A magnum block is not a race block, nor will it ever be a race block.

Funny how the guy talking smack about the other guys spelling has spelling errors of his own in the very post he made fun of the other guy.

Um.... OK

Definition for you:
simile noun

a figure of speech comparing two unlike things that is often introduced by like or as (as in cheeks like roses) — compare metaphor

Take 5th grade English much? [/quote]

So out of all my posts you find that, and complain. FYI when I type that word in, my iPad corrects tot he wrong spelling.

As for simile and smile, I don't care what you think so I don't really read what you say very close.

So take your Joe Stalin attitude and be miserable.

Again, a magnum block will never be a race block. Maybe you should study the English language and see what the difference between race and production means. They ain't the same. But the sad contingent who think a magnum block is a race block get their feelings hurt quite easily.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: dwayne welder] #2576410
11/09/18 03:53 PM
11/09/18 03:53 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Originally Posted By dwayne welder
Zippy we have talk in the pass call me when ready to sell block

I will be in touch, thanks Dwayne.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: BcudaChris] #2576416
11/09/18 04:03 PM
11/09/18 04:03 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
[quote=BcudaChris]With the supply of Magnum blocks out there in yards, I'd guess it'll be another decade before there is a business case the aftermarket can make work.

Um.... OK

Definition for you:
simile noun

Take 5th grade English much? [/quote]

So we have a new spelling tsar? I assume you'll take over the grammar duties also?

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: justinp61] #2576420
11/09/18 04:10 PM
11/09/18 04:10 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Ohhh Boy I’m in trouble. A spelling and grammar Nazi, my worst dreams come true.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: pittsburghracer] #2576423
11/09/18 04:13 PM
11/09/18 04:13 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Ohhh Boy I’m in trouble. A spelling and grammar Nazi, my worst dreams come true.

And a pseudo cheap skate!!! What's the world coming to? I'm amazed at some of the word corrects this iPad makes. I usually catch them but every now and then it's gets past me.

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: dwayne welder] #2576425
11/09/18 04:15 PM
11/09/18 04:15 PM
S
sst404b Offline
enthusiast
sst404b  Offline
enthusiast
S

The Ritter block is a good piece especially the later ones. Brett has a program for the Victor heads and they make good power. Our block does not leak and is hanging in. On the third shake down lap it went 5.57 and the following night we went to a 5.80 race and went 5.63, taking timing out to slow it down. My point is there is already a block and heads available for the SB that are capable of making over 900hp.

Ray

Resized_20181109_105909.jpeg
Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: sst404b] #2576433
11/09/18 04:38 PM
11/09/18 04:38 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By sst404b
The Ritter block is a good piece especially the later ones. Brett has a program for the Victor heads and they make good power. Our block does not leak and is hanging in. On the third shake down lap it went 5.57 and the following night we went to a 5.80 race and went 5.63, taking timing out to slow it down. My point is there is already a block and heads available for the SB that are capable of making over 900hp.

Ray

The issue is (and you have to think back to the Bob Book record setting small block MoPar thread) that I'm not sure the Ritter block I capable of being "THAT" block for a competitive Comp Eliminator deal.

I've never had my hands on a Ritter block so I don't know all the detail of them. I do know that block is much better than anything else out there.

And I don't see why if Book and Ritter got together that couldn't make the Rotter block capable of Comp type stuff.

Clearly, the later iterations of his block work and work well. I just don't know if in its current configuration the Ritter block can be considered a platform for what Bob Book is looking for.

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: dwayne welder] #2576460
11/09/18 05:37 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
With the ritter block people have such a bad image in their heads of all the early ones that needed thousands of dollars in weird machining operations, leaky blocks, no help making it right... that went on for years that they just can't believe the issues have really been solved. Just like the 4.7 dodge/jeep engines, the first 10 years are so problematic that by the time they finally went and fixed the issues in 08 nobody would buy it so it got discoed after a couple of years. Seems that if ritter sold his tooling to dart or ritter would get them selling.

As for the genIII blocks, the BGE block can take 1000HP and is cheap, that covers %99.9 of the GenIII guys needs, a race block needs so many different things for different classes and builders nobody would be able to decide what universal features it would need. BGE Heads are readily available and affordable to supply 800NA hp and can take some decent boost and the eddy heads give you a tiny bit more for a lot more $$$ and the thitec heads after that for even more serious HP that there just dont seem to be a big need for more stuff in that department. People dont seem to get that the BGE heads are better than a W2 ever was and the stock rockers are better than common LA and BB aftermarket rockers. People are stuck in the mind set they need aftermarket heads and roller rockers to go fast. On the other hand what I dont understand is how come we cant get a cheap set of plain steel headers for basic common swaps, oil pans, and no affordable decent intakes for carbs?

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: madscientist] #2576461
OR
T
The real scienti Offline
The real scienti  Offline
T

OR

don't you think we should just drop all this till after winter and just go snowmobiling for now? I was told that was one of your favorite pastimes?

Last edited by The real scienti; 11/09/18 05:41 PM.
Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: dwayne welder] #2576468
11/09/18 05:46 PM
11/09/18 05:46 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
If a person ordered a Ritter block today, how would they know the one that got shipped is the latest and greatest variation?

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: madscientist] #2576527
11/09/18 07:59 PM
11/09/18 07:59 PM
Lubbock,TX
D
DavidDean Offline
top fuel
DavidDean  Offline
top fuel
D

Lubbock,TX
Originally Posted By sst404b

Ray

The issue is (and you have to think back to the Bob Book record setting small block MoPar thread) that I'm not sure the Ritter block I capable of being "THAT" block for a competitive Comp Eliminator deal.

I've never had my hands on a Ritter block so I don't know all the detail of them. I do know that block is much better than anything else out there.

And I don't see why if Book and Ritter got together that couldn't make the Rotter block capable of Comp type stuff.

Clearly, the later iterations of his block work and work well. I just don't know if in its current configuration the Ritter block can be considered a platform for what Bob Book is looking for.

I know of a Ritter block being currently built in the north east to compete in comp eliminator. Unless you put some HUGE Power adders on a Ritter block I think it will perform. I've purchased one (the new version I dont think there's any old left for sale)Mine is at QMP in CA. I know the cylinder walls are thicker than a siamese R-3. Mine hasnt needed an funky machine work to make work. W'ere using 60mm babbit cam bearings as we were a little afraid to go large enough for the 60mm roller bearings.
If you want to make big HP in a SB the Ritter block is the only thing available. With the changes at Dart I'm not holding my breath.
If you want to be a key board pecker knock your self out !
I'm headed back to my shop.

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: HotRodDave] #2576531
11/09/18 08:13 PM
11/09/18 08:13 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
If find it FUNNY that the Gen3 guys continue to think they know what is best for us guys running the older stuff. But yet most of us are going faster than they are with the newer stuff. LOL. Some of you guys should just stick in the Gen3 area and keep buying and selling your stuff over and over again because it doesn't mate up. Sure a few NA Gen3 guys have their act together but most of the other guys are pissing in the wind. LMAO. The Gen3 stuff my look cool at the car shows and get an owwww and ahhhh at the car cruises but at the track old stuff shines.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: pittsburghracer] #2576553
11/09/18 09:27 PM
11/09/18 09:27 PM
Glendora Ca.
J
Just-a-dart Offline
pro stock
Just-a-dart  Offline
pro stock
J

Glendora Ca.
The Gen3 stuff my look cool at the car shows and get an owwww and ahhhh at the car cruises but at the track old stuff shines.

To be clear by old stuff do you mean you or smallblocks?

"Just a Bracket car dressed up like a streetcar"
Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: Just-a-dart] #2576561
11/09/18 10:08 PM
11/09/18 10:08 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted By Just-a-dart
The Gen3 stuff my look cool at the car shows and get an owwww and ahhhh at the car cruises but at the track old stuff shines.

To be clear by old stuff do you mean you or smallblocks?

Boff of us. Lol 😂

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: pittsburghracer] #2576584
11/09/18 11:37 PM
11/09/18 11:37 PM
bean town ....Ca
W
WHITEDART Offline
master
WHITEDART  Offline
master
W

bean town ....Ca
Big Blocks are for towing your small block race cars to the track.. and I'm still on the fence about a Max effort Gen 3 when it comes to the naturally aspirated application.. haven't been impressed with anything that didn't have cubic money involved

In the 8s N/A.with Brett miller W8's
5.07 at 133 at 2700lb
Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: WHITEDART] #2576719
11/10/18 11:46 AM
11/10/18 11:46 AM
Trumbauersville PA
ric3xrt Offline
pro stock
ric3xrt  Offline
pro stock

Trumbauersville PA
Originally Posted By WHITEDART
I'm still on the fence about a Max effort Gen 3 when it comes to the naturally aspirated application.. haven't been impressed with anything that didn't have cubic money involved

it's going to take few more years yet, as more people take the G3 plunge the more development will trickle down, the G3 guys haven't had 20+ years of Nascar and to some extent Pro-stock development to influence G3 builds ,
yes the knowledge is there but taking that knowledge and applying it to real world G3 builds will take some time, effort and investment, each engine platform reacts differently, the trick will be to find what these G3s like that is different than G2s BBM and SBMs I'd love to see what Brett could do with a G3 if money were no object.
So for now you small blocks guys keep on knocking down those ET's
I've had more Big block friends go small block in the last 10 years than I've had small block guys go Big block.
That's my $02 worth.

Truth has no agenda, but those with an agenda make their own truth.
Some of us are so open minded they only see their View

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4