01/10/17 10:13 PM

C
crabman173
Unregistered
crabman173
Unregistered
C

For a beginner with the average bracket car they are a BOLT ON
So for guys that have yet to make the journey we all have and have learned to back half cars etc they are a great entry level item that is A Cheap--B--bolt on--C--they friggin work for average Bracket Joe starting out well into his learning year or so
So..do we still want new guys in the Mopar world? Or is it closed to just the "pros that Knows"?
New guys make the world go around and new guys rarely start with a pro level car or for that matter even a back half car so think about it a minute will you
We should want and do need new guys in the hobby---as per any endeavor staring out is starting out and usually means smaller $$ input until one learns what where they want to go with it all
So with that in mind PLEASE don't set a "trap" on here to laugh at and discredit things that have brought many of us a long way and things that would serve a rookie well to get started
Bret Farve does not make fun of high school quarterbacks or college ones that play with good sportsmanship and try hard
Don Garlits is the best racer I have ever known personally and he has been helpful and generous with his time every time I ever spoke with him--same with herb and many more they all understand that encouraging folks is key
Screwing around with them and LOL ing them is just sort of uncool IMO

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Locomotion] #2232052
01/11/17 01:28 AM
01/11/17 01:28 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

I sit corrected locomotion.

Yes, these were created by Greg Luneack out of Cali. They are the launchers or Tri-city Springs as they are commonly known. I get mixed up with all the different names to things nowadays.LOL.

He originally was in Detroit and now out West for reasons I guess have to do with the car culture out there.
He does still make 'em, but it seems that the price drives some away. I feel that they are well worth it especially since he tailor makes them with your cars ride height and type of convertor in mind among other things.
They are pretty much ready to rock with the front clamp in a specific spot that he stresses not to move at all.
Taking into consideration that he knows/races early B's, he stressed a certain spring made in house and installed big beefy front spring eye bushings to only be tightened very little to allow swing travel.

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: ] #2232058
01/11/17 01:36 AM
01/11/17 01:36 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
I don't know anybody who stated SS springs were magic, shruggy

I don't find fault with guys that recommend them for certain combos.
Nor should we unintentionally imply they are stupid for doing so.

They Still have their place and are a good option for stiffening up your rear suspension, Cheap alternative too. As are Clamps and other stiffening enhances. Next step Cal tracs IMO. then ladders then 4 link, then modified extra Fancy Magical 4 link. devil

Not everybody needs to immediately jump to a 4 Link for goodness sakes.

Nor de we need to Jump to Blowers, nitrous or other power adders because any other way is just a Waste of time for building power.

There Are different levels of builds from mild to wild. Use what works easily and practical for you in those type Applications, no matter where you are on your type build.

Whether its Stock springs with clamps or the Highest dollar 4link latest fad at the moment. Lots of different configurations going on now with the 4 link. Or, the Magical SS springs. up

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: krautrock] #2232081
01/11/17 02:35 AM
01/11/17 02:35 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Krautrock
No, believe it or not that launching photo was with a set of sagging Mancini SS springs that I threw into a corner somewhere.

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: ] #2232083
01/11/17 02:37 AM
01/11/17 02:37 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline OP
master
Monte_Smith  Offline OP
master
M

North Alabama
Originally Posted By crabman173
So for guys that have yet to make the journey we all have and have learned to back half cars etc they are a great entry level item that is A Cheap--B--bolt on--C--they friggin work for average Bracket Joe starting out well into his learning year or so
So..do we still want new guys in the Mopar world? Or is it closed to just the "pros that Knows"?
New guys make the world go around and new guys rarely start with a pro level car or for that matter even a back half car so think about it a minute will you
We should want and do need new guys in the hobby---as per any endeavor staring out is starting out and usually means smaller $$ input until one learns what where they want to go with it all
So with that in mind PLEASE don't set a "trap" on here to laugh at and discredit things that have brought many of us a long way and things that would serve a rookie well to get started
Bret Farve does not make fun of high school quarterbacks or college ones that play with good sportsmanship and try hard
Don Garlits is the best racer I have ever known personally and he has been helpful and generous with his time every time I ever spoke with him--same with herb and many more they all understand that encouraging folks is key
I'm done...........because you and others still apparently don't even remotely get the point I was trying to make. I'd just as soon delete the whole thread and pretend it didn't happen

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 01/11/17 02:40 AM.
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2232102
01/11/17 03:42 AM
01/11/17 03:42 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
[quote=Monte_the whole POINT of this thread was to point out the lack of "Magic" parts. And whatever some say, there is nothing magic and or special about SS springs.

They were simply configured right for the job they needed to do from the factory, so were an easy bolt on. [/quote]

Maybe I can help you out here. Lose the words Magic, and Special Too.

Don't think anybody thinks that here. smile They are different, I know that and Lots of others too,

You use the words {simply configured right} that's like different to me, and they are.

But configured right, Ahh, built more stiffer and biased to Help. Tune from there, Never ever a Magical fix.

Yes the same fix can be modified at home, But sooo much more easy to just replace with the stiffer springs from the get go.

I don't think most just toss that out there as a magical fix, No, get that out of your head. Its because its a Cheap Easy Fix as Starters in a lot of Start up race car builds.

Nothing to do with any False notions of Magic or Specialness. Not in my camp anyways. Its insulting. wink I know, you stepped on some toes by accident. Its all good, we;all be fine. up

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2232108
01/11/17 03:56 AM
01/11/17 03:56 AM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
I think the whole thread has been interesting. Good reading. up

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2232194
01/11/17 11:28 AM
01/11/17 11:28 AM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
Because that's what it says to do in the 50 year old MOPAR Bible.{Direct Connection performance book}

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Hemi_Joel] #2232195
01/11/17 11:33 AM
01/11/17 11:33 AM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel
I think the whole thread has been interesting. Good reading. up

I agree. I always raced with a 4-link or ladder Bar so my new Street car is a learning curve with leafs and a stroked big block. I don't have the money for anything fancy right now so I'm gonna have fun learning.

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2232200
01/11/17 11:47 AM
01/11/17 11:47 AM

C
crabman173
Unregistered
crabman173
Unregistered
C

FWIW I called Greg Luniac back in the day to get springs --when we discussed the car and what it was doing on 002 and 003 SS's he said man I can't improve on that keep on trucking--Nice guy and if I had an early B I think I would go with his stuff
The magic was the massive amount of engineering / time/ $$$ that Chrysler put into these parts--You can't duplicate that in the back yard man and if you do then Mopar needs you in Detroit
Bolt on--Cheap--Works should have been my only post

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Sport440] #2232207
01/11/17 11:55 AM
01/11/17 11:55 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Originally Posted By Sport440
I don't know anybody who stated SS springs were magic, shruggy

I don't find fault with guys that recommend them for certain combos.
Nor should we unintentionally imply they are stupid for doing so.

They Still have their place and are a good option for stiffening up your rear suspension, Cheap alternative too. As are Clamps and other stiffening enhances. Next step Cal tracs IMO. then ladders then 4 link, then modified extra Fancy Magical 4 link. devil

Not everybody needs to immediately jump to a 4 Link for goodness sakes.

Nor de we need to Jump to Blowers, nitrous or other power adders because any other way is just a Waste of time for building power.

There Are different levels of builds from mild to wild. Use what works easily and practical for you in those type Applications, no matter where you are on your type build.

Whether its Stock springs with clamps or the Highest dollar 4link latest fad at the moment. Lots of different configurations going on now with the 4 link. Or, the Magical SS springs. up
iagree

Fastest 300
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2232240
01/11/17 12:53 PM
01/11/17 12:53 PM
central texas
K
krautrock Offline
top fuel
krautrock  Offline
top fuel
K

central texas
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
I'm done...........because you and others still apparently don't even remotely get the point I was trying to make. I'd just as soon delete the whole thread and pretend it didn't happen

i appreciate the thread, there is some good info in it.
also i think most guys get your point.

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: krautrock] #2232280
01/11/17 02:09 PM
01/11/17 02:09 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline OP
master
Monte_Smith  Offline OP
master
M

North Alabama
Originally Posted By krautrock

i appreciate the thread, there is some good info in it.
also i think most guys get your point.
No they don't, not even close. You say something that is considered a bash of something sacred in the Mopar world and they go into full "defending" mode and miss the whole damn point. And I am through trying to explain what I meant.

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2232289
01/11/17 02:39 PM
01/11/17 02:39 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
Hey Monte - please post a picture of your dad's GA car at any NHRA National event from 1972 - 1975 - I would like to see it - and if you still have it a picture of the record from NHRA or any other sanctioning body.

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2232305
01/11/17 03:20 PM
01/11/17 03:20 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline OP
master
Monte_Smith  Offline OP
master
M

North Alabama
That stuff is at my dads house, but I have no idea where. They moved into the current house about 25 years ago. There is boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff in their attic. Would have no clue where to even start. And when my dad quit racing......he QUIT. Never went to another drag race until the day he died. All those years I raced my GTX. He didn't see it or anything else I drove go down the racetrack one time. He displayed no trophies, no pictures, no hint that he EVER raced. It was weird.

At his funeral, I had the 3 or 4 pics I have of the car on the photo montage they show in the lobby. Several people who had known him a LONG time said "wow, never knew he raced". It's like once that part of his life was over, it was OVER and he never talked about it.

I have posted pics of the car here a couple times, but they were from local tracks. I do remember his favorite photographer was a guy who worked for ND and other rags. His name was Marty Johnson. Marty knew my dad would by every pic he took, so he took lots............but again, I have no idea where they are

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 01/11/17 03:27 PM.
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2232363
01/11/17 05:25 PM
01/11/17 05:25 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
Sorry to hear about your dad - What tracks did he frequent? What years did he race - I may have some info and such but I need to see the car and what years he raced. I have a lot of ND mags dating from the late 60's - if anyone can point me to any images posted in the past I sure would appreciate it.

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2232399
01/11/17 06:30 PM
01/11/17 06:30 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
That stuff is at my dads house, but I have no idea where. They moved into the current house about 25 years ago. There is boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff in their attic. Would have no clue where to even start. And when my dad quit racing......he QUIT. Never went to another drag race until the day he died. All those years I raced my GTX. He didn't see it or anything else I drove go down the racetrack one time. He displayed no trophies, no pictures, no hint that he EVER raced. It was weird.

At his funeral, I had the 3 or 4 pics I have of the car on the photo montage they show in the lobby. Several people who had known him a LONG time said "wow, never knew he raced". It's like once that part of his life was over, it was OVER and he never talked about it.

I have posted pics of the car here a couple times, but they were from local tracks. I do remember his favorite photographer was a guy who worked for ND and other rags. His name was Marty Johnson. Marty knew my dad would by every pic he took, so he took lots............but again, I have no idea where they are

I remember Marty Johnson. It's been a while. But I couldn't help but think of war vets who don't want to talk about their experiences. Did your dad witness anything traumatic or lose a close friend at the races?

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2232427
01/11/17 07:36 PM
01/11/17 07:36 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline OP
master
Monte_Smith  Offline OP
master
M

North Alabama
Not that I know of Myron. I asked my mom about it one time, because I was rather hurt that he never seemed interested in MY racing career. She said that was in his past and he had put it away, because he knew that if he went with me or started reliving his own glory days, he would want to get back into it. He was an all or nothing kind of guy and knew it would cost big bucks to race like he would have wanted. He hated bracket racing, nor did he really care for the Super Stock Eliminator portion of the show. We never went to a race that didn't have class runoffs, because THAT was what he liked. Being faster than the other guy in the same class. When the tracks that we frequented dropped class racing and went to brackets, he totally quit racing at home. We went to NHRA and IHRA races for about another year to run class runoffs, but when class runoffs became very infrequent, except at places like INDY and the Dutch classic, he parked the car and it never ran again. When they moved from the city, to their house in the country, which is on 40 acres, he basically went back to his childhood. He grew up on a farm and THEIR new farm was what he enjoyed. He built a big metal building, parked all the cars in it, basically never touched them again and slowly sold them off. He got back into guns and farming and never seemed to care about cars again.

Side note.........the black 63 Max Wedge convertible, that has been in some mags the last couple years and won best of show at the Nats for two years in a row, was my dads. The guy who owns it now, bought it from my dad, had a total resto done and has been offered over a million dollars for it. It's a 1 of 3 car and only one known left to exist. Black car, black top, red/white interior, power windows and 425hp motor. 15000 orig miles. Same guy bought an all original 300K from my dad that is a one of one car. It's a 413 long ram 300. Where most had the short intake runners, this was the ONE 300 that was built with the true longer manifolds. It had less than 10,000 miles. He had a barn full of stuff like that and never touched them again after the move. The Challenger race car, he bought new in 70. Optioned as follows. Hemi Orange, R/T, vinyl top, 440 six pack, rally dash, rim blow wheel, luggage rack, tic toc tach, etc. Kept every piece he ever took off so it could be restored. Sold it to a local guy, OR GAVE it to a local guy really for..........$5000. It had 5,000 miles on the speedo. He sold all that stuff dirt cheap. Never seen anyone who was SO into cars and racing just totally turn it off like that. All I have left from the Challenger is the original intake and carbs and air cleaner. Also have center section, trans, converter and the Weiand Six Pack "tunnel ram" intake and carbs that were on it when he last raced it

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 01/11/17 07:42 PM.
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2232454
01/11/17 08:26 PM
01/11/17 08:26 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
I've watched several guys just up and quit and never go to the track again. Our group of about 8 guys street raced 5-7 nights a week and hit the track twice a week. We did this as a group for at least 5 years then life happened. I was the only one that stuck to it except for one Friend that stated hitting the test n tunes 3 years ago several times a year. Most of the guys still have their car stashed away in garages to this day. Don't ask my why they kept the cars as several are in rental units.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2232501
01/11/17 09:33 PM
01/11/17 09:33 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Not that I know of Myron. I asked my mom about it one time, because I was rather hurt that he never seemed interested in MY racing career. She said that was in his past and he had put it away, because he knew that if he went with me or started reliving his own glory days, he would want to get back into it. He was an all or nothing kind of guy and knew it would cost big bucks to race like he would have wanted. He hated bracket racing, nor did he really care for the Super Stock Eliminator portion of the show. We never went to a race that didn't have class runoffs, because THAT was what he liked. Being faster than the other guy in the same class. When the tracks that we frequented dropped class racing and went to brackets, he totally quit racing at home. We went to NHRA and IHRA races for about another year to run class runoffs, but when class runoffs became very infrequent, except at places like INDY and the Dutch classic, he parked the car and it never ran again. When they moved from the city, to their house in the country, which is on 40 acres, he basically went back to his childhood. He grew up on a farm and THEIR new farm was what he enjoyed. He built a big metal building, parked all the cars in it, basically never touched them again and slowly sold them off. He got back into guns and farming and never seemed to care about cars again.

Side note.........the black 63 Max Wedge convertible, that has been in some mags the last couple years and won best of show at the Nats for two years in a row, was my dads. The guy who owns it now, bought it from my dad, had a total resto done and has been offered over a million dollars for it. It's a 1 of 3 car and only one known left to exist. Black car, black top, red/white interior, power windows and 425hp motor. 15000 orig miles. Same guy bought an all original 300K from my dad that is a one of one car. It's a 413 long ram 300. Where most had the short intake runners, this was the ONE 300 that was built with the true longer manifolds. It had less than 10,000 miles. He had a barn full of stuff like that and never touched them again after the move. The Challenger race car, he bought new in 70. Optioned as follows. Hemi Orange, R/T, vinyl top, 440 six pack, rally dash, rim blow wheel, luggage rack, tic toc tach, etc. Kept every piece he ever took off so it could be restored. Sold it to a local guy, OR GAVE it to a local guy really for..........$5000. It had 5,000 miles on the speedo. He sold all that stuff dirt cheap. Never seen anyone who was SO into cars and racing just totally turn it off like that. All I have left from the Challenger is the original intake and carbs and air cleaner. Also have center section, trans, converter and the Weiand Six Pack "tunnel ram" intake and carbs that were on it when he last raced it

Some guys are like that. When they quit, they're done. When I stopped riding dirt bikes, I stopped all of it and sold it all. Then my brother sold all his car junk and bought a dirt bike, so I started tuning it and then his buddies bikes and next thing you know, I had 4 bikes again. Ended up with 7 before I got sick and started selling them off.

I have said this mechanical stuff is like being on heroin. It's tough to shake off.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10