Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: Al_Alguire] #2200214
11/21/16 09:59 PM
11/21/16 09:59 PM

6_pack_runner
Unregistered
6_pack_runner
Unregistered

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
I think some of you guys don't really understand "electronics" racing. The electronics do nothing to help you win a race. Anyone who thinks so need to hop in and give it a try. After all it usually pays well, with more and more million dollar races why miss out..

As for the question at hand I have done both. Heads up on a working mans budget just don't happen, unless you don't mind being at the back of the pack and just sayin hey look at me I'm a heads up racer. I am sure most know I enjoy the type of racing you all hate, throttle stop stuff. Way more challenging to do well and make the car repeat. For now I have moved to the fastest form of bracket racing I can afford, top Sportsman. But hey I have electronics in the car so winning should be easy right???

If you truly believe that "The electronics do nothing to help you win a race" why on earth would you use them ????? Makes NO sense.......Can't imagine how you can explain that statement, but I am sure it will be entertaining.....

Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: dvw] #2200236
11/21/16 10:34 PM
11/21/16 10:34 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Do the electronics turn the button loose for you? Do they drive the finish line for you? Do they put the dial on the window for you?................

Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: Monte_Smith] #2200246
11/21/16 11:00 PM
11/21/16 11:00 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
I enjoy a little bit of everything.

This was the first year I was able to have a car at the track every weekend that I wanted to. The Friday night Grudge and Test and tune were fun, but once I got the car dialed in I wanted to try other things.

Index racing is what really appeals to me. The 11.50 index fits me perfectly.

I will say our grudge nights have EXPLODED in popularity both for the spectators and racers. I still don't get the no-prep thing, though.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: dvw] #2200252
11/21/16 11:07 PM
11/21/16 11:07 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
IMO electronics are an aid, delay boxes, adjustable trans brake buttons, air/electric shifters all help you be more consistent and that's what bracket racers look for. Anyone that says they don't help are either fooling themselves or trying to fool someone else.

Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: dvw] #2200254
11/21/16 11:12 PM
11/21/16 11:12 PM
central ohio
N
nss guy Offline
pro stock
nss guy  Offline
pro stock
N

central ohio
To watch the throttle stop races, you need to watch at the finish line and see how the closing speeds play into it. No sense watching the starting line, they don't do any wheelies!

Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: Monte_Smith] #2200264
11/21/16 11:28 PM
11/21/16 11:28 PM
Minn
S
SportF Offline
pro stock
SportF  Offline
pro stock
S

Minn
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
How do electronics win a race?.... provided it is not doing something to control the car. It is YOU that has to turn the button loose and it is YOU that has to drive the stripe and make the car repeat.

When they control the car. How about a soft start, back off on the timing, no tire slip, turn the power on, back to soft for the shift (program that shift time too) so no tire slip, back on the power. How about that for tuning consistency? What does the MSD Grid do? Why do people put this stuff in there if it doesn't help? Hezuss who is driving the car?

OK, ya gotta leave, EVERYTHING else is programed to INCLUDE what your ET is. How about a guy at Barona a guy running 8.04 all day and night long at 101 mph and I'm running all out at 7.35 at 95 mph. Is electronics involved with that Corvette? And that is in Pro class. This is what is fowled up, right there.
If you really think electronics doesn't matter, you just don't understand at all.

Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: dvw] #2200270
11/21/16 11:37 PM
11/21/16 11:37 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline OP
master
dvw  Offline OP
master

MI, usa
Theoretical ET's here. From a spectator aspect which is a closer race? A 9.0 vs 9.5 index/bracket race with a .5 head start. Or a heads up race where one car runs 9.0 and the other can only go 9.5? I guess the best deal would be Index without throttle stops, as almost everybody will be close to dead on and leaving together.
I agree with Al's statement [Quote}
Heads up on a working mans budget just don't happen, unless you don't mind being at the back of the pack and just sayin hey look at me I'm a heads up racer.
Doug

Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: dvw] #2200273
11/21/16 11:45 PM
11/21/16 11:45 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
I think Al and Monte are just baiting people at this point. To say electronics do nothing to help you win race is ridiculous.

Electronics do not make a great driver great, they do however, make a good driver great, and an average driver good. They shrink the margin for error and make the racing closer, and tougher.

Many times I've seen great drivers return to no-e racing where their natural talents and honed skills give them a more pronounced edge against like competition.

The notion that index racing is not "Heads-up" is also ridiculous. Heads-up only refers to the tree, period. Whether you put "no-breakout" after it or not is what determines how the race is won at the stripe.

Comp Eliminator is "no-breakout" racing on a staggered tree, and no one refers to it as heads up.

I LOVE it when the OP says "From a racer's standpoint", and everyone immediately starts griping about watching the Super classes. If you want to talk about spectating, start a thread called "Racing you most like to watch!"

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: BradH] #2200291
11/22/16 12:22 AM
11/22/16 12:22 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By BradH
Don't shoot the messenger, but I have some questions & thoughts... AND I plead COMPLETE ignorance on the subject of electronics in brackets & Super-class racing right up front.

1. Some of you mentioned big-money bracket races. Are they for electronics only, or do they have footbrake classes, too? If both, how do the turnouts compare between the two?

2. Any big-money footbrake-only races? I recall there were in the past, but don't ask me to define what "past" means since I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

3. What if there were serious MPH limits applied to the Super classes? How would the 10.90 and 9.90 classes change if the two classes were limited to 130 & 140 MPH (or even 5 MPH slower?) respectively?

4. What would happen if ALL electronics were banned? Would car counts tank simply because everyone had to go back to footbraking it? If so, why? If there's still a good paying purse, what difference does it make?

5. If electronics don't actually make the car easier to bracket race, then why should people complain if they all simply went away? Wouldn't that still maintain a level playing field, or are you concerned about the cheaters that will still find ways to build hidden electronics into their combinations?

6. Top Sportsman has a cut-off based on quickest qualifiers, right? What if -- and again w/ the no-electronics idea still in play -- ALL classes were broken out by qualifying time? The first 32 go to Class A, the second fastest 32 go to Class B, etc.? This would (or "should") keep the cars in any given class somewhere reasonably close in ETs, and reduce the concerns about a 9-sec. car racing a 14-sec. car (unless you only had those 2 cars show up).

7. Gawd, I hate watching a throttle-stop car... Oh, did I just say that? Yeah. Sorry guys, but those are total thrill-killers from a spectator standpoint.

Flame away. But I'm really curious about this stuff. I did a little bit of local heads-up DOT radial racing 15+ years ago when the cars were still running double-digit ETs, and some street car footbrake-only bracket racing, too. I like heads-up stuff better, simply because it's "pure" drag racing. But I did have fun running brackets, too, and would like to participate more regularly in the future.

At this point, it's been so long since I've done anything but test & tunes ('cuz I'm one of those people who always looks for tweaks to make the car faster) that I'm sure some people on here think my opinion doesn't matter either way. However, sometimes it takes someone who isn't buried into it up to their eyeballs to have a different -- possibly even better -- perspective on things.

BradH,
It is my OPINION that going to a big money bracket race with anything less than a Pipe Rack and a full arsenal of all the latest electronics is just contributing your funds to the pot.
Ever since the "Matty box" days, and watching the lip service paid by promoters about how they check for illegal stuff(NHRA included) I have no faith in the system.

The NHRA super classes are broken, just like Pro Stock, and there are no easy ways to fix them.

One of the biggest things that no one wants to address is the .5 pro tree that Super Street uses, versus the .4 pro tree that Super Gas, Super Comp, and just about every heads-up class in the country, whether they are index or no-breakout.

You see many racers staying in Super Street and adding as much as 500lbs to their full tube cars, because they like the fact that just about any car can hit the .5 tree.
Building and maintaining a car that consistently go red on a .4 pro tree at any track is expensive and difficult. The guys who have such cars don't want to give up that advantage, and they are often the loudest voices in the room anytime the discussion comes up to move Super Gas to a .5 tree. So many cars that appear like they should be in SG, stay in SST.

MPH limits have been discussed, many times, and always seem to get shot down. Once again, only racers already active in the class are being asked the questions, so who knows what it would take to bring in new blood?

Banning Electronics from Index Classes
The biggest problem with many index classes at big races, is that you don't get enough time runs, often only two or three over a two day period, then first round is 24 hours later. There are such huge swings in weather and track conditions that trying to hit the index without electronics under those parameters is darn near impossible.
I experienced this first hand at last year's NHRA's Heritage Series race, The March Meet. I was in D-Gas, a 10.60 index class on a .4 pro tree, with no electronics. We only got 1 time run Friday morning, 1 Saturday morning, and first round was Sunday Morning. When we got up Sunday morning the weather was completely different and I knew from my SST days we were going to be a tenth or more slow, but without electronics, I had no method to adjust for that much swing. Also, out of the twenty or so cars in the class, only about three were truly equipped with the ability to hit the .4 without taking a bump, or guessing, and I couldn't help but think the class would be better served to be on the .5 SST tree.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: MoparBilly] #2200369
11/22/16 01:39 AM
11/22/16 01:39 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Originally Posted By MoparBilly
I think Al and Monte are just baiting people at this point. To say electronics do nothing to help you win race is ridiculous.

Electronics do not make a great driver great, they do however, make a good driver great, and an average driver good. They shrink the margin for error and make the racing closer, and tougher.

Many times I've seen great drivers return to no-e racing where their natural talents and honed skills give them a more pronounced edge against like competition.

The notion that index racing is not "Heads-up" is also ridiculous. Heads-up only refers to the tree, period. Whether you put "no-breakout" after it or not is what determines how the race is won at the stripe.

Comp Eliminator is "no-breakout" racing on a staggered tree, and no one refers to it as heads up.

I LOVE it when the OP says "From a racer's standpoint", and everyone immediately starts griping about watching the Super classes. If you want to talk about spectating, start a thread called "Racing you most like to watch!"
Not baiting anybody. Buying all the latest and greatest gadgets does NOT win you any races. The driver still has to do it. Doesn't matter if the car in the other lane has every gizmo in the world. You cut a better light and run closer to your dial, you win. Is anybody arguing that point?........NO

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 11/22/16 01:40 AM.
Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: dvw] #2200383
11/22/16 01:54 AM
11/22/16 01:54 AM
Puyallup, WA
S
StealthWedge67 Offline
master
StealthWedge67  Offline
master
S

Puyallup, WA
If you think electronics give you an advantage, and make it easier, you've obviously never done it. The guy in the other lane has electronics in his car too, so how does one have an advantage? If anything it makes it harder, because packages are tighter and MOV's are razor thin, so the driver has to make decisions and act upon them in an absolute SPLIT second. Bracket / index racing is demanding of the driver, you HAVE to be on your game because the car is not going to erase your mistakes like it will in a heads up grudge race.

To me, heads up racing is more boring. You normally can see who's gonna win at 60ft. And it's usually the car with the most money thrown at it. Besides, until you're outrunning Force or Hagen, it's just another type of handicap that your working with.

Lastly, why do so many guys here seem to think that bracket racers aren't also trying to make their cars faster? I know plenty of bracket guys, and most every one of them is constantly sharpening their blade.

LemonWedge - Street heavy / Strip ready - 11.07 @ 120
Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: dvw] #2200411
11/22/16 04:23 AM
11/22/16 04:23 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I am not trying to bait anyone..I just don't see having a delay box as making anyone a great racer. It allows you to not go red on a given tree without having to make changes to the car itself. I ran bottom bulb stuff when I started like most everyone else did. I did fairly well and then moved what I considered up to electronics class. Did ok for the races I went to and decided to give .90 a try. As for the throttle stop stuff, well Billy you have been there. I would rather dial my car to a given ET from round to round than try and dial in a stop. You know as well as I do that most of the Super class racers, particularly the good ones are just flat good at driving the stripe. The biggest difference between Pro and Super Pro is the MOV. You can get away with mediocre lights and MOV's in Pro way more than you can is Super Pro. The cream will always rise to the top no mater the class. I don't know of anyone who cannot find the tree with both hands bottom bulbing who suddenly become Luke Bogacki by throwing in a delay box...

As for what spectators watch, well I think many here must not go to National events much. Once the fuel circus is over the stands are EMPTY. The don't even stay around from pro stock, let alone SS Stock Comp or those dreaded Super Classes. Its all about the 300mph circus and IMO the possibility of cars hitting things, or as I like to refer to it the NASCAR affect.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: dvw] #2200424
11/22/16 08:32 AM
11/22/16 08:32 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline OP
master
dvw  Offline OP
master

MI, usa
In our part of the country there are "big buck" (5-12K to win) no box races. Trans brake and I believe air shift allowed. I entered twice last year footbraking. At Norwalk many were surprised when a number of cars that made it down to the final 8 each night were footbrake. Many having packages of .015 or less. Much of my racing is index over a period of days. No electronics at all, no 2 step, air shift, nothing. We have learned to deal with huge weather swings. Chances are if you're off more than .02 for very many passes you won't be setting in the winners circle. I have run the Nostagia Gas class as well. However the .400 tree is tough for me on a footbrake.
Doug

Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: dvw] #2200475
11/22/16 12:43 PM
11/22/16 12:43 PM
Minn
S
SportF Offline
pro stock
SportF  Offline
pro stock
S

Minn
Do you want to drive a race car, or program a video game. I just want a class for those of us that want to drive the car. That's all, just that simple.

NSS racing does that for some of us. Real cars, real drivers.

Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: SportF] #2200484
11/22/16 01:19 PM
11/22/16 01:19 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
I know I have said this before but I will say it again. The east coast guys have it made as we are loaded with "big dollar" races. Foot-brake, bottom bulb, top bulb races BUT you have to travel some. I don't think I will ever run points again at my local track even though I really enjoyed it because it ties you down to much. I now copy down a "master list' with all the big races on and will be hitting more of these hopefully in 2017. Being retired frees me up to make the 400-500 mile one way trips to get there.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: SportF] #2200489
11/22/16 01:35 PM
11/22/16 01:35 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Around here the tracks are going to two classes, box and no box, same as Pro and Super Pro. There is one track that is still running a foot brake class, no air shifters, trans brakes or two steps. It's about an hour and half away from me and I'll make the drive before I run no box at the local track that's 20 minutes away.

When My local track opened a few years ago they ran box, no box and foot brake. On average they had 35-40 cars in foot brake and 8-10 in no box. So when they decided to combine fb and nb, instead of pi$$ing off 8-10 guys and making the class fb they pi$$ed off 35-40 guys and made the class nb. One of the guys that worked at the track kept telling me how a trans brake and air/electric shifter has no advantage over foot breakers who shift their own. After hearing him repeat the statement several times I told him he was either a liar or a dumb a$$ and walked off.

Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: justinp61] #2200498
11/22/16 01:58 PM
11/22/16 01:58 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
As I am a top bulb racer what I really like about MOST of the big top bulb race is they keep the dragsters and door-cars separated as long as possible (usually 5-6 rounds) then they join them together. It keeps the racing closer and evens up the field some. Now some of the guys that don't bracket race will chime in and say the dragsters have no advantage but trust me they do. Having the other car in front of you the whole way down the track and in your view helps a lot.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: dvw] #2200548
11/22/16 03:17 PM
11/22/16 03:17 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Belong able to see the front tires in relation to the other driver is a HUGE help...

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: Al_Alguire] #2200688
11/22/16 06:46 PM
11/22/16 06:46 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
I am not trying to bait anyone..I just don't see having a delay box as making anyone a great racer. It allows you to not go red on a given tree without having to make changes to the car itself. I ran bottom bulb stuff when I started like most everyone else did. I did fairly well and then moved what I considered up to electronics class. Did ok for the races I went to and decided to give .90 a try. As for the throttle stop stuff, well Billy you have been there. I would rather dial my car to a given ET from round to round than try and dial in a stop. You know as well as I do that most of the Super class racers, particularly the good ones are just flat good at driving the stripe. The biggest difference between Pro and Super Pro is the MOV. You can get away with mediocre lights and MOV's in Pro way more than you can is Super Pro. The cream will always rise to the top no mater the class. I don't know of anyone who cannot find the tree with both hands bottom bulbing who suddenly become Luke Bogacki by throwing in a delay box...

As for what spectators watch, well I think many here must not go to National events much. Once the fuel circus is over the stands are EMPTY. The don't even stay around from pro stock, let alone SS Stock Comp or those dreaded Super Classes. Its all about the 300mph circus and IMO the possibility of cars hitting things, or as I like to refer to it the NASCAR affect.
Second paragraph is sad but true. Those that leave miss some of the best racing, but they aren't real diehard drag racers / fans. Most need to go to a circus - or be in one.

Fastest 300
Re: Bracket of Heads-Up from a racers stand point [Re: dvw] #2200708
11/22/16 07:37 PM
11/22/16 07:37 PM
COLUMBUS, OH
W
Whompin_Wedge Offline
mopar
Whompin_Wedge  Offline
mopar
W

COLUMBUS, OH
I think super stock, stock, top sportsman, and big money bracket racing is cool, but chasing points at a local track just doesn't do it for me. Real snooze fest.

If you watch some of these guys drive the stripe it is amazing! I like super stockers... Big wheelies and tight races... doesn't get much better than that.

With that being said, if I had the budget/time I would be running NA 10.5 or an AH car... haha

Casey

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6