Print Thread
1970 Plymouth B-body interior questions. Danger long winded #2040348
03/28/16 12:15 PM
03/28/16 12:15 PM
Macomb Michigan
65 Belv A990 Offline OP
65 Belv A990  Offline OP

Macomb Michigan
I have a few questions for the 1970 Roadrunner crowd regarding a black bucket seat interior.I’ve tried a couple of other forums but have not had any responses, so I thought I would try here. My wife ordered a complete Legendary interior at the Indy swap meet a couple of weeks ago for her 70 RR that she bought last year and we are restoring. Without thinking about it much, we went with what was on the seats that were in it assuming they were original, which appear to be all black with the thin silver piping. This was done before I realized the fender tag is coded for a P6XA interior which is supposed to be charcoal and black bucket seats. I just found out from the guy we bought it from after we ordered the upholstery that the rear seat cover is original but the front seats were recovered decades ago, as we got this low mileage bird from the original owner. The front seats sure look all black to me but the rear seat is so faded it’s hard to tell what it should be but it also has the silver piping. If you go by the fender tag/ broadcast sheet however, they should be if I remember correctly, black in the Ranger Grain center insert area with the remainder of the seat with the Coachman Grain should be a dark charcoal color. She prefers the all black seats with the thin silver piping,so that’s what she went with at the time. The car is FK5 with a V1X black vinyl top and TX9 upper inner door paint so all black would look better and made sense. On the other hand, my wife also wants the car restored assembly line correct as tagged except for the stock looking stroker Hemi I’m building for it to possibly run in the F.A.S.T class with the help of a friend Dave Dudek. We would like it to be an extremly correct (within budget) looking clone of one of the 59 RM23 Hemi 4-speeds that were built. Now this is bugging me and I’m wondering if all black bucket seats were ever available from the factory on a 1970 Plymouth B-body as I have never owned one and if so, could this car just another Lynch Rd mistake? I have always been a 68-69 RR guy and until now, paid little attention to 1970 trim codes. The original owner who is a longtime friend of mine is not much help as he gutted the car in the 70’s to race and we have to put just about everything back in it. The heater box, wipers and linkage, window regulators and glass, air grabber system and much of the dashboard had been removed and stored in boxes. He even cut out the inner metal out of the passenger side door shell and the rear inner quarter area that I have to weld back in to reinstall the window regulators. The door and rear seat trim panels were long gone and covered in gorilla fur in the mid 70’s and he does not remember any more if they were black or not. IMO,it is one thing to change an interior color to something that was available to suit personal taste, but I’m having a hard time moving forward with something that may have never existed from the factory at all, as I am too much of a purist to do that. The wife has told me to go ahead and change the order with Legendary if need be to restore the interior correctly as tagged. Has anyone ever run into a survivor 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner/GTX/Superbird with an all black interior or a P6XA tagged car that had all black seats with silver piping from the factory before? I’ve seen plenty of 70 Plymouth B-bodies over the years with all black seats with the black piping and the silver piping as well as the charcoal and black with both color piping and Legendary carry all 4 options. The factory trim book does not show an all black interior at all, but that is no guarantee there never was one. Were there also options on the piping/welt color when these cars were new and if so how this was coded on the order, or is this too just an aftermarket thing? I’m wondering now if just like the 1970 Cuda white hockey stripes that were never available from the factory, is this just another case of aftermarket creative artistry that has gone on for so long that it’s an excepted norm by many not in the know and has become urban legend? If all black seats with a silver piping were in fact available from the factory what should the fender tag code be besides P6XA? I’m thinking it would be something like P6X9 which was an option in 71.

Can somebody post some good bright high resolution pictures of a 1970 P6XA interior including door panels and front/rear seat to compare with what is currently our car. I’m pretty convinced the seats need to be changed to the charcoal and black but I need to determine what color the door panels, armrests,kick panels,visors, the hard plastic front seat backs, rear package tray and the buddy seat should be on a P6XA interior black or charcoal? I’m assuming as the trim book indicates with the notation that the carpet, headliner, dash, steering column and wheel should be black is this correct? If the car had a S81 simulated wood grain steering wheel I would also assume the center horn button should also be black.

Also I just found a decent C21 Buddy Seat for the car that was missing when we bought it. The seat was in excellent condition with nice foam and the critical tunnel mounting brackets to weld back in. Another thing about this Buddy Seat when we ordered the new covers from Legendary is they asked if we wanted it with the map pocket or without. I ordered it also in black, but now as indicated above that may need to be charcoal too. I’m a little in the dark on this one as I have never had a Buddy Seat Mopar before and never really paid attention. I have yet to find anything in my archives on the subject of this map pocket. The previous owner took the original out 40 years ago and does not remember if it had a map pocket or not and there are no option codes to verify if it did or not. This seat is actually a 69 piece that I think came out of a Coronet but I’m pretty sure it’s the same as a 70 B-body seat. It has a little pocket towards the back of the seat bottom near where the pivot ears come out of the bottom cover which I’m assuming is this map pocket they are talking about is that correct? Could a Roadrunner have this pocket or is this an upscale GTX, Coronet R/T -500, Charger S/E thing? If this map pocket was an option, what is and where do you find the code for it? I actually think it would look better without it, but I have to make a decision soon and get back to Legendary with my decision. Also should the buddy seat have silver welts if the seats do? I know it’s a lot of questions as this is the first ever 1970 in our stable and would appreciate if anyone has a definitive insight on this?

MoPower..... Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.
Re: 1970 Plymouth B-body interior questions. Danger long winded [Re: 65 Belv A990] #2040427
03/28/16 02:34 PM
03/28/16 02:34 PM
Houston, Tx
hemi68charger Offline
master
hemi68charger  Offline
master

Houston, Tx
All the 70 Road Runner/Superbird black buckets I have seen have the thin silver piping, both front and rear.. This is to include the thin silver on the interior door cards.. The bench seat cars had the thicker silver accent stripes... My Superbird has buckets and the think silver.....

Buckets

Bench

Last edited by hemi68charger; 03/28/16 02:39 PM.

Troy
Houston Mopar Connection Club
'69 Charger Daytona 440 - auto - 4.10 Dana (now with 426 hemi)
'69 Charger 500 440 - 4speed - 3.54 Dana
'70 Road Runner 383 - 4speed - a/c (now with 440)
Re: 1970 Plymouth B-body interior questions. Danger long winded [Re: hemi68charger] #2040454
03/28/16 03:03 PM
03/28/16 03:03 PM
Macomb Michigan
65 Belv A990 Offline OP
65 Belv A990  Offline OP

Macomb Michigan
Originally Posted By hemi68charger
All the 70 Road Runner/Superbird black buckets I have seen have the thin silver piping, both front and rear.. This is to include the thin silver on the interior door cards.. The bench seat cars had the thicker silver accent stripes... My Superbird has buckets and the think silver.....

Buckets

Bench

Yes I am aware of the deluxe bench seat Satellite, Roadrunners and Superbirds getting the inch or so wide silver band on the door panels to match the seats which were indeed black on the bench seat upolstery. What I'm asking is directly related to the P6 bucket seat interior. I cant find any record of a X9 color code on the P6 seats available in 1970, only XA which is the charcoal and black. The bucket seats that you posted look all black and I don't think that is P6XA either. I need to know what color the kick panels, door panels arm rests, seat backs visors and package tray is supposed to be with these charcoal and black seats because a lot of the cars out there are incorrectly decoded and restored as all black.

Re: 1970 Plymouth B-body interior questions. Danger long winded [Re: 65 Belv A990] #2040466
03/28/16 03:24 PM
03/28/16 03:24 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
P6XA is charcoal with black

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1970/70_Satellite0012.jpg

There is no all black in 1970.

Since these seats did not hold up well it's common to see them redone. My 1970 Hemi GTX has fairly low miles but the seats were redone with a velour insert.

Re: 1970 Plymouth B-body interior questions. Danger long winded [Re: Morty426] #2040494
03/28/16 04:06 PM
03/28/16 04:06 PM
JERSEY
RJS Offline
master
RJS  Offline
master

JERSEY
As Morty stated Charcoal is correct for the seating area, it would still have the silver piping and the rest of the seat was Black. Most don't know better and just assume Black is the color. Hard to see in this picture but look at the black on the seat back to the seat material for reference.
I just noticed the rear seat bottom shows it pretty well when compared to it's own front material.
If your a fender tag guy change the order and do the car correct because once you know what to look for you'll hate yourself later.

Even the correct door panels are Charcoal compare to door black paint on frames.
Ron

IMG_3026 (Large).JPG
Last edited by RJS; 03/28/16 04:08 PM.
Re: 1970 Plymouth B-body interior questions. Danger long winded [Re: RJS] #2040524
03/28/16 04:46 PM
03/28/16 04:46 PM
Macomb Michigan
65 Belv A990 Offline OP
65 Belv A990  Offline OP

Macomb Michigan
Originally Posted By RJS
As Morty stated Charcoal is correct for the seating area, it would still have the silver piping and the rest of the seat was Black. Most don't know better and just assume Black is the color. Hard to see in this picture but look at the black on the seat back to the seat material for reference.
I just noticed the rear seat bottom shows it pretty well when compared to it's own front material.
If your a fender tag guy change the order and do the car correct because once you know what to look for you'll hate yourself later.

Even the correct door panels are Charcoal compare to door black paint on frames.
Ron
RJS, I too agree now there is no such animal as an all black P6 interior and I did change her order for both the seat covers and the door panels to the XA colors charcoal and black after discussing it with Rick @ Legendary as well. According to the trim book though, it appears to be the other way around from what you described. It appears that most of the seat skirt and headrest area in the Coachman Grain is the charcoal and it is the center Ranger Grain inserts that are black, does anyone else agree with this? This is important because that will determine what color the center buddy needs to be charcoal or black, and now I’m wondering if it is supposed to have silver piping like the seats and door panels or main material color piping. Anybody have anything to add to my question about the map pocket on the buddy seat?

Re: 1970 Plymouth B-body interior questions. Danger long winded [Re: 65 Belv A990] #2040591
03/28/16 07:02 PM
03/28/16 07:02 PM
JERSEY
RJS Offline
master
RJS  Offline
master

JERSEY
Originally Posted By 65 Belv A990
Originally Posted By RJS

Ron
RJS, I too agree now there is no such animal as an all black P6 interior and I did change her order for both the seat covers and the door panels to the XA colors charcoal and black after discussing it with Rick @ Legendary as well. According to the trim book though, it appears to be the other way around from what you described. It appears that most of the seat skirt and headrest area in the Coachman Grain is the charcoal and it is the center Ranger Grain inserts that are black, does anyone else agree with this? This is important because that will determine what color the center buddy needs to be charcoal or black, and now I’m wondering if it is supposed to have silver piping like the seats and door panels or main material color piping. Anybody have anything to add to my question about the map pocket on the buddy seat?

Yes I said it backwards and my own picture even spells it out. I don't own either of my 70 GTX's anymore so was talking from memory not what was right in front of me.
Ron

Re: 1970 Plymouth B-body interior questions. Danger long winded [Re: 65 Belv A990] #2040612
03/28/16 07:47 PM
03/28/16 07:47 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
The center section of the seat is the black part. The outer edges are the charcoal. It's easier to see if you look at your rear seat.

I had a 70 GTX with the buddy arm rest but I can't remember about the map pocket

Re: 1970 Plymouth B-body interior questions. Danger long winded [Re: 65 Belv A990] #2040687
03/28/16 09:25 PM
03/28/16 09:25 PM
Macomb Michigan
65 Belv A990 Offline OP
65 Belv A990  Offline OP

Macomb Michigan
Thanks for the replies, now that I'm confident I have the proper color seat covers and door panels coming, all I need to determine now is whether the hard plastic seat backs, kick panels and arm rest pads are supposed to be black or charcoal

Last edited by 65 Belv A990; 03/28/16 09:25 PM.

Re: 1970 Plymouth B-body interior questions. Danger long winded [Re: 65 Belv A990] #2040718
03/28/16 09:55 PM
03/28/16 09:55 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By 65 Belv A990
Thanks for the replies, now that I'm confident I have the proper color seat covers and door panels coming, all I need to determine now is whether the hard plastic seat backs, kick panels and arm rest pads are supposed to be black or charcoal

They are black. Those parts were never made in charcoal.