Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can you convert an older 727 to a lock up convertor? [Re: mopar346] #2008258
02/08/16 11:14 PM
02/08/16 11:14 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
And you said it couldn't be done. Sort of like saying you can't install a 440 crank in a 400. Some people know what has to be done and some don't. I knew but failed to say that. Saying you can't is/was wrong.

Last edited by Transman; 02/08/16 11:17 PM.
Re: Can you convert an older 727 to a lock up convertor? [Re: mopar346] #2008287
02/08/16 11:44 PM
02/08/16 11:44 PM
ont, canada
K
kenny b Offline
kenny b  Offline
K

ont, canada
Something to think about: The input shaft was hollow to direct the transmission oil pressure to apply the clutch assembly in the torque converter. It re-directed the oil from the cooler lines in high gear lock-up. Thoughts were that in lock-up the torque didn't slip so No heat build-up. Lots of burned up 904's pulling trailers. Definetly not worth the effort to make the switch.

Kenny B

Re: Can you convert an older 727 to a lock up convertor? [Re: mopar346] #2008304
02/09/16 12:06 AM
02/09/16 12:06 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
If you guys new Transman you would know that he and John have more trans knowledge than most of the people on this board put together. I've been doing trans's 25 years and know they both know a heck of a lot more than me. Lets skip over the wording and use the knowledge they've shared with us.
Doug

Re: Can you convert an older 727 to a lock up convertor? [Re: mopar346] #2008309
02/09/16 12:14 AM
02/09/16 12:14 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
It's like baking a cake, if you forget to say it needs sugar you don't get a cake, you get crap.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Can you convert an older 727 to a lock up convertor? [Re: mopar346] #2008416
02/09/16 04:32 AM
02/09/16 04:32 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
The only thing I would like to add is that if you use an older case and then use the electronic lock-up with the solenoid then wont the case still need to be modified for the lock-up solenoid wire ? I remeber the simple lock-up trans that use just the one feed wire that came in near the back of the trans looked to be a round hole in the case. And I think they were all the 904 style. Course the later ones with overdrive had the three wire oval plug and the the newer ones with electronic gov had the bigger hole for the extra wires. I am just thinking to myself the case would need modifying for the lock-up wire or wires if it was done with the electronic lock-up. Ron

Re: Can you convert an older 727 to a lock up convertor? [Re: 383man] #2008518
02/09/16 01:28 PM
02/09/16 01:28 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted By 383man
The only thing I would like to add is that if you use an older case and then use the electronic lock-up with the solenoid then wont the case still need to be modified for the lock-up solenoid wire ? I remeber the simple lock-up trans that use just the one feed wire that came in near the back of the trans looked to be a round hole in the case. And I think they were all the 904 style. Course the later ones with overdrive had the three wire oval plug and the the newer ones with electronic gov had the bigger hole for the extra wires. I am just thinking to myself the case would need modifying for the lock-up wire or wires if it was done with the electronic lock-up. Ron

Yes you would need to modify for the wire, you could do it the same way you add the wire for a transbrake I ASSuME ???

running up my post count some more .
Re: Can you convert an older 727 to a lock up convertor? [Re: mopar346] #2008541
02/09/16 02:02 PM
02/09/16 02:02 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
Ok - so for those that really want to convert an old 727 to lockup here is how it is done. Take a good operational 727 with lockup - remove the input shaft and rear clutch piston retainer, reaction shaft support, valve body, converter from a good functional lockup 727. I suggest you retain the matching front clutch retainer with the reaction shaft support to avoid mismatching as there are two front clutch drum bushing widths - narrow (early) and wide (late). You also need to be careful about the interface from the input shaft to the output shaft at the number three thrust washer. There are changes there that you need to be aware of - all else fails - transfer the output shaft from the L/U trans to your old 727. If you decide to use the early lockup valve body with lockup module - check and clearance the case to prevent interference. The only benefit of using this design instead of the electric lockup is no wiring is necessary. But in order to raise lockup speed and prevent droning - you need to increase spring pressure in that lockup module. This was a service fix but the production springs only get you some relief. Using the electric lockup valve body allows you to control when and if you get lockup. If you decide to use the electric lockup valve body you need to drill and tap the case to accept the bulkhead connector - just like you do when you install a Turbo-Action Transbrake. If you check cooler line pressure with a gauge - when you get lockup you will get a rise in cooler line pressure of 5 - 15 lbs. Converters run cooler in lockup for obvious reasons - little to no slippage. Cooler line return feeds the geartrain inside the trans - so cooler fluid to the geartrain makes them last longer. Like I stated in an earlier post - most of the converter failures were on old design lockup converters - we changed the piston design in early 2001 time frame - this reduced if not eliminated most all converter failures in regards to the lockup disc. You can still get stator ORC failures and bearing failures but most of the issue was the disc failing. RWD lockup is slightly different than FWD - on RWD we send fluid in to the converter through the input shaft drilled passage. To get lockup we shut that flow off - now all the fluid pressure and volume entering the converter is on the backside (apply side) of the lockup piston. With fluid flow down the input shaft - we have fluid pressure on the off side keeping the converter off. Ever wonder why some lockup transmissions stall the engine when you put them in gear? No flow to the off side - usually due to the converter switch valve being stuck on due to debris. There are other reasons for this stalling as well. As for the early design sucking - depends how the vehicle was driven. If you get in the vehicle and get up to 45 or higher MPH and drive at or above this speed there are generally no complaints. If you drive at this low speed you get that droning noise. This is engine firing through the powertrain, not the converter's fault. Think manual trans in 4th gear at about 20 or 30 mpg and you open the throttle - you get the same droning. This can be resolved sometimes by damper spring changes but you give up durability if you make it weak, same as the spring damper assy. in a manual trans clutch disc assy.

Re: Can you convert an older 727 to a lock up convertor? [Re: mopar346] #2008543
02/09/16 02:07 PM
02/09/16 02:07 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
And in regards to the "factory" publications saying you can' t do this - those publications are directed to dealer personnel - we don't want them doing these conversions in the dealer environment. People that read these publications need to understand the audience. And for cake baking - probably should leave that up to the wife or girlfriend.

And my very first post was directed at "parts" needed - not the procedure.

Re: Can you convert an older 727 to a lock up convertor? [Re: mopar346] #2008887
02/09/16 11:05 PM
02/09/16 11:05 PM
Florida
M
mopar346 Offline OP
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
mopar346  Offline OP
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
M

Florida
Thanks for the input folks I believe ya'll have absolutely answered my question. As far as me doing it myself, automatic tranny work other than minor is probably the only repair on a muscle car era car that I am not experienced in to some depth. With that said I am thinking of learning to build a 727 because I understand the process for the most part and I understand these to be one of the easiest to get right on a novice level. I have been around automatics being build for 35 years and I would say I am confrontable with most of the steps although I'm sure I would have to call people on a few steps or even have them stop by. I also would have the option of building one at a number of shops so I could be watched by experienced builders. With that said I'm not sure my first one should be a conversion although it saids like it would be a basic build with the right parts, the exception being the drilling and tapping but again not soemthing I haven't done in the past. In theory/reality I could actually maintain a numbers matching trans and pull it off.

Follow up question: Would I be better off to build a factory BB LU trans and just upgrade the converted to a better unit? I'm assuming that the rest of the trans is plenty strong to a reasonable level of torque and HP.

Careful, your character's showing!
Re: Can you convert an older 727 to a lock up convertor? [Re: A727Tflite] #2008893
02/09/16 11:08 PM
02/09/16 11:08 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Originally Posted By Transman
Ok - so for those that really want to convert an old 727 to lockup here is how it is done. Take a good operational 727 with lockup - remove the input shaft and rear clutch piston retainer, reaction shaft support, valve body, converter from a good functional lockup 727. I suggest you retain the matching front clutch retainer with the reaction shaft support to avoid mismatching as there are two front clutch drum bushing widths - narrow (early) and wide (late). You also need to be careful about the interface from the input shaft to the output shaft at the number three thrust washer. There are changes there that you need to be aware of - all else fails - transfer the output shaft from the L/U trans to your old 727. If you decide to use the early lockup valve body with lockup module - check and clearance the case to prevent interference. The only benefit of using this design instead of the electric lockup is no wiring is necessary. But in order to raise lockup speed and prevent droning - you need to increase spring pressure in that lockup module. This was a service fix but the production springs only get you some relief. Using the electric lockup valve body allows you to control when and if you get lockup. If you decide to use the electric lockup valve body you need to drill and tap the case to accept the bulkhead connector - just like you do when you install a Turbo-Action Transbrake. If you check cooler line pressure with a gauge - when you get lockup you will get a rise in cooler line pressure of 5 - 15 lbs. Converters run cooler in lockup for obvious reasons - little to no slippage. Cooler line return feeds the geartrain inside the trans - so cooler fluid to the geartrain makes them last longer. Like I stated in an earlier post - most of the converter failures were on old design lockup converters - we changed the piston design in early 2001 time frame - this reduced if not eliminated most all converter failures in regards to the lockup disc. You can still get stator ORC failures and bearing failures but most of the issue was the disc failing. RWD lockup is slightly different than FWD - on RWD we send fluid in to the converter through the input shaft drilled passage. To get lockup we shut that flow off - now all the fluid pressure and volume entering the converter is on the backside (apply side) of the lockup piston. With fluid flow down the input shaft - we have fluid pressure on the off side keeping the converter off. Ever wonder why some lockup transmissions stall the engine when you put them in gear? No flow to the off side - usually due to the converter switch valve being stuck on due to debris. There are other reasons for this stalling as well. As for the early design sucking - depends how the vehicle was driven. If you get in the vehicle and get up to 45 or higher MPH and drive at or above this speed there are generally no complaints. If you drive at this low speed you get that droning noise. This is engine firing through the powertrain, not the converter's fault. Think manual trans in 4th gear at about 20 or 30 mpg and you open the throttle - you get the same droning. This can be resolved sometimes by damper spring changes but you give up durability if you make it weak, same as the spring damper assy. in a manual trans clutch disc assy.

Its funny you say about stalling in gear as I remember we had some problems with the 45RFE and 545RFE tanny's stalling at idle if low on trans fluid. I was told just what you said in training on them and that is is has to have the fluid pressure to keep the converter off. When they get to low on fluid they dont put enough fluid pressure on the off side of the converter and the converter would start to lock up some at idle and stall the eng. You should have seen the look on this one tech's face when his truck did stall sometimes and I told him it could be low on trans fluid by the way he said it stalled. I dont remember if they put out a TSB about it but I remember the tech teacher telling us about that. I only ever remember that happening on the 545 and 45RFE tranny's. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 02/09/16 11:10 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2