06/25/15 02:34 PM
06/25/15 02:34 PM
Lowes
steve660 Offline OP
enthusiast
steve660  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lowes
Madscientist, your right. It is a big cat to skin. Like I said earlier, I didn't expect it to make the number. I did expect it to last longer than 30 min, correct cylinder psi and good oil psi. Just remembered, I was told static comp came in at 12:1 with 150psi cylinder pressure.

PSO headed 632 from MM. Cracked cylinder, loose valve seats, low oil pressure, low cylinder pressure.
..... Now its a door stop....
Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: steve660] #1856696
06/25/15 03:23 PM
06/25/15 03:23 PM
Lansing, MI
M
MuscleMike Offline
enthusiast
MuscleMike  Offline
enthusiast
M

Lansing, MI
Mr Edwards contacted us about a pump gas shortblock. We had a World block in inventory so we offer to build him a King Krate (at normal pricing) with an upgraded crankshaft. We then offered him (if he was interested) in a set of PSO heads that we were developing. Based on the early flow numbers we anticipated an engine that could make 1000 HP on pump gas. Because it was a development deal we offered him the top half of the engine at cost over a set of original B1 heads. We would also dyno the engine for free. The value of this extra work is approximately $7000
Because the top half of the engine was at cost it was not #1 priority to finish. The engine was on and off the dyno a few times and we had made over 15 dyno pulls with no valve train issues.
Mr Edwards contacted us and said that the engine had been idleing for a long time a grabbed a valve. Because of the inconvience and delays I had eric send this e-mail
On Monday, June 1, 2015 5:31 PM, Eric Budden <ericbudden@yahoo.com> wrote:

Please let me know when the engine is in the crate and ready for pick-up. Mike figures turnaround time to be 2 weeks. Please forward any areas of concern other than bushing the lifter bores.

Thanks

Eric@M/M
After a day of no response I sent this e-mail.
It the adjuster is tight where did the extra play come from?

I had Eric contact you and offer for us to have the engine picked up. We have the BHJ fixture and can bush the block immediately. We would address any other concerns you may have and return it to you all at no cost.

Let me know your thoughts.

Mike @MM

Yes, there have been issues. Should there have been, no. Still we offered to stand behind it, bring the engine back, address any and all concerns, give an exact timeline for repairs and return it at no cost. Mr Edward s has refused this offer.

Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: MuscleMike] #1856733
06/25/15 04:03 PM
06/25/15 04:03 PM
Janesville, WI
SpareParts Offline
pro stock
SpareParts  Offline
pro stock

Janesville, WI
I've been in his shoes, there is a HUGE part of the customer that is scared to send it back to the shop that murdered it the first time around. I'm not saying who's right or wrong but its important to consider the emotions involved here.

The "low priority for at cost parts" thing is BS, nobody put a gun to your head you offered that. Shouldn't penalize the customer based on your offer.

Last edited by SpareParts; 06/25/15 04:07 PM.
Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: steve660] #1856734
06/25/15 04:04 PM
06/25/15 04:04 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Good job Mike...........sounds as though you are willing to handle the issues, as I suspected you would if it came to it. Always the OTHER side of the story. Can't imagine why he is not willing to let you fix the issues, as it appears he will be out no money to do so. Hope you guys work it out and everybody is happy

Monte

Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: MuscleMike] #1856738
06/25/15 04:11 PM
06/25/15 04:11 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By MuscleMike
Mr Edwards contacted us about a pump gas shortblock. We had a World block in inventory so we offer to build him a King Krate (at normal pricing) with an upgraded crankshaft. We then offered him (if he was interested) in a set of PSO heads that we were developing. Based on the early flow numbers we anticipated an engine that could make 1000 HP on pump gas. Because it was a development deal we offered him the top half of the engine at cost over a set of original B1 heads. We would also dyno the engine for free. The value of this extra work is approximately $7000
Because the top half of the engine was at cost it was not #1 priority to finish. The engine was on and off the dyno a few times and we had made over 15 dyno pulls with no valve train issues.
Mr Edwards contacted us and said that the engine had been idleing for a long time a grabbed a valve. Because of the inconvience and delays I had eric send this e-mail

Please let me know when the engine is in the crate and ready for pick-up. Mike figures turnaround time to be 2 weeks. Please forward any areas of concern other than bushing the lifter bores.

Thanks

Eric@M/M

I had Eric contact you and offer for us to have the engine picked up. We have the BHJ fixture and can bush the block immediately. We would address any other concerns you may have and return it to you all at no cost.

Mike @MM

Yes, there have been issues. Should there have been, no. Still we offered to stand behind it, bring the engine back, address any and all concerns, give an exact timeline for repairs and return it at no cost. Mr Edward s has refused this offer.

This clears up some of it, as was pointed out by camastomcat and Monte (and others) 22k is on the light side for something of that nature.

As for the stuck vale, I know of 3 issues that can cause it. Obviously, one of them is too little clearance. Closely related to that is when a supplier changes materiel and it requires more clearance than the SAME part number did before. Some brands of guide that I use/have used get no less the .0025 on the intake and .0035 on the exhaust. I always hone bronze guides as reaming them is a PITA, and sometimes they are not very round. The third thing is a common one that comes around from time to time. It's caused by myth and old wives tales. When starting an engine, I would rather see too much timing than not enough. To some, that is counter intuative. They think you need to "break in" an engine so dial everything down and back, when in reality, the only thing that needs a break in period is a HFT or SFT cam. Anything else is bull crap.

When you run the timing retarded, the EGT's go through the roof. Then the valve has to deal with all the heat. When it can't, the stem grows larger than the clearance and it grabs a guide. It won't matter if it has .005 on it.

As for the oil pressure issue, the OP has not yet stated what the oil pressure is, what filter he used or the brand and grade of oil.

If you did what you say you did, and your offer stands, then the rest of it is on the OP. I would like to see stem diameters, guide diameters, crank dimensions and housing bore measurements posted. If the numbers are posted the math is simple enough but I would think .0028-.0032 on the rods (ASSuming Chrysler rod throws...take about .0003 off for BBC throws) and .0035-.0035 on the mains. Much tighter than that and you can grab a bearing. Tha is, of course, my opinon. Others may think otherwise.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: SpareParts] #1856742
06/25/15 04:15 PM
06/25/15 04:15 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By SpareParts
I've been in his shoes, there is a HUGE part of the customer that is scared to send it back to the shop that murdered it the first time around. I'm not saying who's right or wrong but its important to consider the emotions involved here.

The "low priority for at cost parts" thing is BS, nobody put a gun to your head you offered that. Shouldn't penalize the customer based on your offer.

Who says it was murdered? That's not right. It stuck a valve and the OP says the oil pressure is low.

Time to put on our big boy pants and take emotion out of it.

It's possible the stuck valve was customer induced. And if I'm doing something at cost, and doing the R&D on it, I damn sure ain't moving your stuff to the front while profit making customers wait. MM is in business to MAKE MONEY. This isn't a hobby. It's not fun. It is work.

As I said earlier and will do so again ALL R&D IS PAID FOR BY THE CUSTOMER. One way or the other. The only people who give away free crap is the government, and that is because they took it from someone else first.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: SpareParts] #1856745
06/25/15 04:27 PM
06/25/15 04:27 PM
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Marion, South Carolina [><]

iagree iagree

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: madscientist] #1856752
06/25/15 04:38 PM
06/25/15 04:38 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Originally Posted By madscientist

Who says it was murdered? That's not right. It stuck a valve and the OP says the oil pressure is low.

Time to put on our big boy pants and take emotion out of it.

It's possible the stuck valve was customer induced. And if I'm doing something at cost, and doing the R&D on it, I damn sure ain't moving your stuff to the front while profit making customers wait. MM is in business to MAKE MONEY. This isn't a hobby. It's not fun. It is work.

As I said earlier and will do so again ALL R&D IS PAID FOR BY THE CUSTOMER. One way or the other. The only people who give away free crap is the government, and that is because they took it from someone else first.

I like the way you think man.................. thumbs

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: Thumperdart] #1856760
06/25/15 04:50 PM
06/25/15 04:50 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
it could be one bad a$$ 87 octane motor when fixed

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: madscientist] #1856777
06/25/15 05:04 PM
06/25/15 05:04 PM
Lowes
steve660 Offline OP
enthusiast
steve660  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lowes
Originally Posted By madscientist

Thanks

Eric@M/M

Mike @MM

This clears up some of it, as was pointed out by camastomcat and Monte (and others) 22k is on the light side for something of that nature.

As for the stuck vale, I know of 3 issues that can cause it. Obviously, one of them is too little clearance. Closely related to that is when a supplier changes materiel and it requires more clearance than the SAME part number did before. Some brands of guide that I use/have used get no less the .0025 on the intake and .0035 on the exhaust. I always hone bronze guides as reaming them is a PITA, and sometimes they are not very round. The third thing is a common one that comes around from time to time. It's caused by myth and old wives tales. When starting an engine, I would rather see too much timing than not enough. To some, that is counter intuative. They think you need to "break in" an engine so dial everything down and back, when in reality, the only thing that needs a break in period is a HFT or SFT cam. Anything else is bull crap.

When you run the timing retarded, the EGT's go through the roof. Then the valve has to deal with all the heat. When it can't, the stem grows larger than the clearance and it grabs a guide. It won't matter if it has .005 on it.

As for the oil pressure issue, the OP has not yet stated what the oil pressure is, what filter he used or the brand and grade of oil.

If you did what you say you did, and your offer stands, then the rest of it is on the OP. I would like to see stem diameters, guide diameters, crank dimensions and housing bore measurements posted. If the numbers are posted the math is simple enough but I would think .0028-.0032 on the rods (ASSuming Chrysler rod throws...take about .0003 off for BBC throws) and .0035-.0035 on the mains. Much tighter than that and you can grab a bearing. Tha is, of course, my opinon. Others may think otherwise.

Ask MM for the dimensions and clearances.

PSO headed 632 from MM. Cracked cylinder, loose valve seats, low oil pressure, low cylinder pressure.
Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: MuscleMike] #1856789
06/25/15 05:13 PM
06/25/15 05:13 PM
Lowes
steve660 Offline OP
enthusiast
steve660  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lowes

Thanks

Eric@M/M

Mike @MM

Mike, why would I send it back now, you had 11 months to "make it right." You had your chance..All I wanted was a mechanically sound engine. I offered to send it back to you, just give me a refund. So far you have refused.

Giving me a discount doesn't mean much when engine is poorly assembled. Its basic engine building, not rocket science. Was it a developmental deal to figure out cylinder pressure? How about oil control? Checking guide clearances??
You never said anything about this being a developmental deal and that the heads were not a #1 priority. If you had , why did you tell me I'd have the engine in 2 months?

Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: steve660] #1856802
06/25/15 05:32 PM
06/25/15 05:32 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
If Muscle Motors is willing to stand behind the problem that the OP thinks he has I can't think of any reason not to have them go through the engine again. What's he got to loose, he's not doing anything with the engine anyway. It's not like he gave them a special engine that went to a rare car that can't be replaced. It was a pieced together POS or was that pso.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: rowin4] #1856809
06/25/15 05:45 PM
06/25/15 05:45 PM
Lowes
steve660 Offline OP
enthusiast
steve660  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lowes
Originally Posted By rowin4
If Muscle Motors is willing to stand behind the problem that the OP thinks he has I can't think of any reason not to have them go through the engine again. What's he got to loose, he's not doing anything with the engine anyway. It's not like he gave them a special engine that went to a rare car that can't be replaced. It was a pieced together POS or was that pso.

If i did send it to them they would find something to charge me for and if i dont pay they got the engine...thats what i have to lose. And i dont know if what they repair would be the right way.

Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: steve660] #1856812
06/25/15 05:53 PM
06/25/15 05:53 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
So basically you are unwilling to give them a chance t make things right at all based on past dealings. We have to respect your opinion on that. But you are assuming they will hold the engine for "ransom" to bilk you for more money. I can also understand why you want a "refund" but in this business that is pie in the sky thinking honestly. Not saying you were not treated correctly but not allowing them to fix the situation when they apparently have offered IMO is a mistake.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: steve660] #1856814
06/25/15 05:56 PM
06/25/15 05:56 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
As for using a "mopoar" shop thing, this is something I will NEVER understand. Round is round, square is square. Any GOOD shop can produce a quality power making piece, it is not about the make it is about knowledge. I for one have seen some stuff from "mopar" shops that was not done very well at all. Personally I use the best I can afford to do my stuff.

Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: Al_Alguire] #1856830
06/25/15 06:07 PM
06/25/15 06:07 PM
Lowes
steve660 Offline OP
enthusiast
steve660  Offline OP
enthusiast

Lowes
Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
So basically you are unwilling to give them a chance t make things right at all based on past dealings. We have to respect your opinion on that. But you are assuming they will hold the engine for "ransom" to bilk you for more money. I can also understand why you want a "refund" but in this business that is pie in the sky thinking honestly. Not saying you were not treated correctly but not allowing them to fix the situation when they apparently have offered IMO is a mistake.

I understand what your saying but, they had their "chance." My decision is not solely based on MY experience but ALL the others who have told me nightmare stories from MM. Havent heard one bad story about Best Machine though. Heres my offer, I will have it repaired locally and MM can reimburse me.

Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: steve660] #1856858
06/25/15 06:44 PM
06/25/15 06:44 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By steve660
Originally Posted By Al_Alguire

I understand what your saying but, they had their "chance." My decision is not solely based on MY experience but ALL the others who have told me nightmare stories from MM. Havent heard one bad story about Best Machine though. Heres my offer, I will have it repaired locally and MM can reimburse me.

I can tell you that I wouldn't refund the money either. And I wouldn't pay you to have someone else go through it. I say that because most engine builders think their [censored] don't stink and their way is the only way. Doesn't make MM right or wrong. It's hard for me to believe that MM is as incompetent as is portrayed here. That would mean that the guys at MM can't even read a micrometer. I don't even think that for a nano second. You keep saying that the oil pressure was low. What was the oil pressure? What oil and grade did MM use on the dyno? Did you ask them what oil to run? What oil and filter did you use, as that has a huge effect on pressure.

As for the stuck valve, that can happen to anyone. I find it hard to believe that MM didn't size the guides. I would suspect a slow timing issue.

I couldn't care less what MM says the clearances are. You seem like a pretty sharp guy. Take it apart and measure them yourself. Then post what you have. Unless you have the correct dial bore gauge it will be hard to measure the ID of the guide but some shop near you could do that.

MM has already publically stated they would fix it for free. Print a copy and let them fix it. If they hold the engine for ransom you would have an easy court case.

EDIT: just re-read the OP and he is saying 15-20 psi oil pressure at 1200 RPM. To some, that is not low. For me, it's too low.But that still doesn't say if the oil was too thin or the oil filter was junk. Both of those will cause low oil pressure.

Last edited by madscientist; 06/25/15 06:50 PM.

Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: steve660] #1856868
06/25/15 06:48 PM
06/25/15 06:48 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
I understand your apprehension, But Id give them one more chance. Im sure they will get it right this time, their in the spotlight. Get it in writing that they wont hold your motor hostage for more money, unless its something YOU want to add.

JMO , and I also understand your frustation at this point. We all want it done right the first time, but that doesn't always happen with any shop IMO. These engines can all have their issues, from any shop.

Letting them fix it is Your best bet, IMO

Last edited by Sport440; 06/25/15 07:23 PM.
Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: steve660] #1856885
06/25/15 07:07 PM
06/25/15 07:07 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well trust me I have seen bad stuff from all of the shops listed here. Don't feel that ANYONE is immune believe me. Having been in and around the business for a long time you are not gonna find anyone that will pay for someone else to "repair" the motor and likely will not find many that would be willing to refund the money either. Most people and courts would see the offer being made by the builder and would leave the ball in your court. Don't get me wrong I understand your frustration and frankly can see you did not have a ton of experience at this kind of thing. As pointed out $21Kis dirt cheap for something like that. I usually have in excess of that in parts for something that will make 4 digit power. Juts saying not trying to bash at all

BTW and way off topic but been in North Carolina this week and seems like a nice state to be from. Been downing Cheerwine as fast as I can find it smile

Re: MUSCLE MOTORS 30 MIN ENGINE [Re: Sport440] #1856895
06/25/15 07:15 PM
06/25/15 07:15 PM

C
crabman173
Unregistered
crabman173
Unregistered
C

Originally Posted By Sport440
I understand your apprehension, But Id give them one more chance. Im sure they will get it right this time, their in the spotlight. Get it in writing that they wont hold your motor hostage for more money, unless its something YOU want to add. JMO , and I also understand your anger at this point.

You never know until you get a look at it when they come back. I know of another big name shop--sent out a $30K Mopar that dynoed like a champ! Customer complains about this and that poor ET etc--the old--"It just don't run like it should" Builder pays to get it back--AFTER over a year of phone work etc--engine comes in and on teardown--
Thrust ate out of it from converter hub and issues, pushrods bent, on and on and on--a half dozen UN-related issues all done at intervels over the months--None ever addressed--just kept on running it down the strip and complaining.
That customer had zero idea about a race car, race engine, or any other thing--they were clueless--so....that unit will not be repaired until customer agrees to pay in full for not knowing what the heck he was doing and damaging a truly great unit.
The kicker was that the throttle "linkage" only opened the blades about half way--good speed secret there
So.....It ain't always the builder boys and...it ain't always the customer either but.....every tale spread out online in a way as this is always fishy to me--NOT the way to handle issues.
I have always aimed to do right but if ever the issues are flashed online like this I usually just walk away.
I bet MM will take another swipe at it --but that making promises before looking at it is a non starter for our shop. Retarded timing at fire up is an engine KILLER

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10