Affton MO
Q
qwkmopardan Offline
super stock
qwkmopardan  Offline
super stock
Q

Affton MO
[quote=belvedere383]I am thinking that there is too little vacuum at idle and it is allowing the PV to open while idling,

Power valve can be open when engine is idleing, power valve adds fuel to the main circuit under heavy load, or takes away fuel away from main circuit at light loads, nothing to do with the idle circuit. Now if the power valve is "blown" or the diaphragm is torn it will let fuel from the bowl straight through to the intake plenum. Engine will be filthy rich and chug and plugs will be wet or very sooty. I believe all new carbs have a check valve to protect PV from backfires.

Your carb possibly needs larger IFR or smaller idle air bleed, or even simple as balancing the throttle blades. If you had to adjust idle speed screw, any where near two turns to attempt to gain idle and did it on the front idle screw only, it may be on transfer circuit on the primary. If this is a possibility take carb off and set throttle blades to see .030 of transfer slot and reinstall. Then adjust front and rear idle speed screws evenly to set desired idle speed. Another possibility is if someone had carb apart to say put jet extensions in, or to change jets, remove power valves etc., it is easy to mix up and use a two circuit metering block gasket on a three circuit carb.

Re: Dominator tuning questions [Re: belvedere383] #1802955
04/14/15 12:45 AM
04/14/15 12:45 AM
Thigh-Gap Junction
@
@#$%&*! Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@#$%&*!  Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@

Thigh-Gap Junction
If someone brought that to me to figure out I'd look at ignition timing first. How big is your cam? What is your initial timing? Have you verified your timing marks? (with a 'positive stop') As someone else said, the cam could also be in wrong.

Re: Dominator tuning questions [Re: Mark Whitener] #1803051
04/14/15 07:51 AM
04/14/15 07:51 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Originally Posted By Mark Whitener
Originally Posted By Quicktree
Originally Posted By belvedere383
Are the gains from switching from a 2 circuit to a 3 circuit strictly ease of tuning?
it just aids the guys who can't tune a 3 circuit..

Has nothing to do with being able to tune it. Has to do with a couple different issues with the factory style 3 circuit metering blocks. One is the inability to lower the idle feed restriction. Early 3 circuit Dominators had the idle feed tube pinched at the bottom, this was your idle feed restrictor. However it made tuning it impossible without pulling the tubes. Later Dominators use an open tube and made the restriction at the top, above fuel level. This is not as stable for fuel delivery as discussed in the link below.

Next is the obstruction the idle feed tube becomes when either higher HP or combination of higher HP and oxygenated fuels are used, you can reach a point where adding more main jet has no effect. Some companies throw a bunch of intermediate fuel to compensate, that is a bad way to do it. You get more liquid fuel, and it will usually negatively impact distribution. You can open up the main wells, but that means pulling the tubes out.

And last is the need to even have intermediate fuel. If you tune it correctly the need for intermediate fuel goes away for most applications. It's like having dirt hauled in to fill a hole you don't have. You end up with more fuel than you need and that can foul plugs.

I use two types of metering blocks, BLP 5124 2 circuit or 5120 3 circuit wide body blocks for gas. I will almost always plug the intermediate circuit on the wide body blocks, I use them sometimes because I can control the size of the kill bleed. For methanol I use a methanol version of the wide body block, and will use a little from the intermediate circuit only to supplement the mains if needed.

http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18
where does the 8896-2 fall into that? I have owned a few doms and never had any problems making them work on a race car.I don't worry about intermediate cruise,maybe I am just lucky

Re: Dominator tuning questions [Re: belvedere383] #1804357
04/15/15 06:47 PM
04/15/15 06:47 PM
Barboursville, VA
B
belvedere383 Offline OP
enthusiast
belvedere383  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

Barboursville, VA
Ok small update......I guess when I got the carb a little over a year ago I switched the jets out for some reason.

So first problem was it was really really lean. It had 74 Primarys in it and 78 secondarys. So I jetted it up to the factory sizes 84 and 92 I think is what came in it. That seemed to help the starting issue alot. Also made it try to idle.

Secondly I found that the accelerator pump cams were adjusted tight to the pump arm. I loosened them up and now it will idle down to around 1200 and it will hold right around 800rpm in gear. Still need to lock the timing out and see what that does.

Im also waiting on my PV blockoff and some other tuning accessories.

Thanks for the help everyone.

65' Belvedere

496'' Stroker
Indy Heads
Page 2 of 2 1 2