Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: Hemi_Joel] #1785087
03/23/15 08:10 PM
03/23/15 08:10 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: TheOtherDodge] #1785088
03/23/15 08:18 PM
03/23/15 08:18 PM
Vista, California
67Satty Offline
pro stock
67Satty  Offline
pro stock

Vista, California
Quote:

I am confused as to the weight. I show their specs on the right side of the page as: "Up to 10lbs Lighter than the stock battery". But in the text it says "2.5 lbs". I know my stock battery weighs closer to 40 lbs...

I'm guessing they're comparing to motorcycle batteries, not car batteries.

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: 67Satty] #1785089
03/23/15 10:11 PM
03/23/15 10:11 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline OP
master
astjp2  Offline OP
master

Utah and Alaska
Quote:

Quote:

I am confused as to the weight. I show their specs on the right side of the page as: "Up to 10lbs Lighter than the stock battery". But in the text it says "2.5 lbs". I know my stock battery weighs closer to 40 lbs...

I'm guessing they're comparing to motorcycle batteries, not car batteries.

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!
Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: Hemi_Joel] #1785090
03/23/15 10:18 PM
03/23/15 10:18 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

For those running these batteries, are you mounting them in the trunk yet, or up front?

Jeff

I would think if I was running a 3 pound battery, I would put it as close to the starter as I could. At that weight, the position is not so critical, and you could save more weight, cost, and voltage loss with a short cable right to the starter.

My 12V lead acid airplane battery was mounted in the back of the airplane behind the baggage compartment for weight and balance purpose, about seven feet of cable to the starter. It was pretty small also That motor was 540 C.I. opposed six cylinder with 8.5 to 1 compression ratio, big bore with a long stroke

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: Cab_Burge] #1785091
03/23/15 10:46 PM
03/23/15 10:46 PM
New Mexico
A
Adobedude Offline
pro stock
Adobedude  Offline
pro stock
A

New Mexico
I need a new battery, I could easily install the 3 lb, 16 cell battery 24" away from the starter, 12" away from the alternator and dump what...30 lbs of battery cable?

Seems too good to be true.

2001 Dodge Dakota
408 All Motor
11.27 @ 117.83 mph
2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion.
Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: Cab_Burge] #1785092
03/23/15 10:54 PM
03/23/15 10:54 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Battery technology (more correctly electrical storage technology--let's not forget our friends the capacitors!) is advancing rapidly, and that's a great thing.
BILLIONS are being invested. Things are changing. I am confident that the 40 lb lead acid ingot will become a thing of the past.

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: Adobedude] #1785093
03/23/15 10:55 PM
03/23/15 10:55 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Online work
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Online Work
"Little"John

PA.
Not to be a Debbie downer guys BUT say you travel to a race 200 miles away and all the sudden your battery goes kaput, dead in the water. Now you tore out your existing wiring to save a few pounds and mount your very small battery in front. Where the heck are you going to find a replacement in the allotted time to make the next round. This is why I stepped away from 16 volt batteries many many years ago when they were very hard to find. Not so bad now but it sure is nice to be able to grab one out of my truck or motorhome. Think about it and look at the whole picture.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: pittsburghracer] #1785094
03/23/15 10:58 PM
03/23/15 10:58 PM
New Mexico
A
Adobedude Offline
pro stock
Adobedude  Offline
pro stock
A

New Mexico
Quote:

Not to be a Debbie downer guys BUT say you travel to a race 200 miles away and all the sudden your battery goes kaput, dead in the water. Now you tore out your existing wiring to save a few pounds and mount your very small battery in front. Where the heck are you going to find a replacement in the allotted time to make the next round. This is why I stepped away from 16 volt batteries many many years ago when they were very hard to find. Not so bad now but it sure is nice to be able to grab one out of my truck or motorhome. Think about it and look at the whole picture.

Good point, looks like I'll be buying Group 24 battery.

2001 Dodge Dakota
408 All Motor
11.27 @ 117.83 mph
2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion.
Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: Adobedude] #1785095
03/24/15 01:01 AM
03/24/15 01:01 AM
MI, usa
dvw Online content
master
dvw  Online Content
master

MI, usa
Quote:

I need a new battery, I could easily install the 3 lb, 16 cell battery 24" away from the starter, 12" away from the alternator and dump what...30 lbs of battery cable?

Seems too good to be true.

My 2.0 (not 2 gauge) cable weighs 7 lbs.
Doug

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: Adobedude] #1785096
03/24/15 01:52 AM
03/24/15 01:52 AM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Quote:

Quote:

Ok Debbie.... you ever think of carrying a spare of anything?

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: John Brown] #1785097
03/24/15 02:25 AM
03/24/15 02:25 AM
PA.
"Little"John
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As a weekly bracket racers I have plenty of spares. Way to many times I am the "guy to go to" as many don't carry anything. My Son loaned out his brand new spare fuel pump last June to help a Friend out and still doesn't have it back yet. Keeping a brand new one of a kind battery is not the smartest move to make as the warranty starts the day you buy it so I'll keep running 8's and 9's with my good old Diehard Platinum 12 volt heavy weight battery.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: John Brown] #1785098
03/24/15 02:26 AM
03/24/15 02:26 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I did all the time.. spare msd box, starter, alt,
switches, coil, wires, wire and a lot more.. and
after I broke a throttle cable I had a spare for it
EDIT
And if your thinking batteries.. I had 4 in my tow
rig.. 2 for the diesel, 1 for the gen and 1 in the
trailer for the winch (all on a charging system)

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 03/24/15 02:34 AM.
Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: pittsburghracer] #1785099
03/24/15 02:59 AM
03/24/15 02:59 AM
Gilroy,CA.
mopardude318 Offline
enthusiast
mopardude318  Offline
enthusiast

Gilroy,CA.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As a weekly bracket racers I have plenty of spares. Way to many times I am the "guy to go to" as many don't carry anything. My Son loaned out his brand new spare fuel pump last June to help a Friend out and still doesn't have it back yet. Keeping a brand new one of a kind battery is not the smartest move to make as the warranty starts the day you buy it so I'll keep running 8's and 9's with my good old Diehard Platinum 12 volt heavy weight battery.

those DieHard Platinums are terrific batteries. (same exact thing as an oddyssey)

408 Stroker 533 HP 520 FT LBS...........................1970 Dart RMS AlterKation
Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: pittsburghracer] #1785100
03/24/15 04:14 AM
03/24/15 04:14 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

3 years on our pro-lite without a hiccup. I will take my chances and not run a 60lb battery

Monte

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: Monte_Smith] #1785101
03/24/15 10:42 AM
03/24/15 10:42 AM
PA.
"Little"John
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

Quote:

3 years on our pro-lite without a hiccup. I will take my chances and not run a 60lb battery

Monte

Apples to oranges again Monte. The team you are on is a heads up type team car with shared monies (and help) to keep it in operation and probably sponsors helping out. I'm talking Joe Blow pay for your ride weekly bracket racers which MOST of the guys on this site are. Even most of our heads-up guys are adding weight so if its in the right spot I'll take an easy to replace battery over a lead weight bar. Sometimes you are out of touch with the average racer Monte. Get that car running so you get a reality check. 39 plus years and never missed a race season yet so I've made a FEW passes too.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: pittsburghracer] #1785102
03/24/15 10:52 AM
03/24/15 10:52 AM
USA
C
Consulier Offline
enthusiast
Consulier  Offline
enthusiast
C

USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Apples to oranges again Monte. The team you are on is a heads up type team car with shared monies (and help) to keep it in operation and probably sponsors helping out. I'm talking Joe Blow pay for your ride weekly bracket racers which MOST of the guys on this site are. Even most of our heads-up guys are adding weight so if its in the right spot I'll take an easy to replace battery over a lead weight bar. Sometimes you are out of touch with the average racer Monte. Get that car running so you get a reality check. 39 plus years and never missed a race season yet so I've made a FEW passes too.

I would go to Wal-Mart and buy a replacement, or just carry a spare. Most of these are all made by Deka and branded with whatever private label is paying. You can get an equivalent AGM from Wal-Mart that will cover about 99% of anything you need for about $100.

I've run my Braille over multiple road course sessions (20 minutes) without an alternator and have not had any issues. The best battery I have ever owned. Will I spend the money and get Braille next time? Probably not, now that I know I can get the same thing at Wal-Mart for half the price.

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: pittsburghracer] #1785103
03/24/15 02:35 PM
03/24/15 02:35 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

No, I am FAR from out of touch, nor do I need a reality check and you know nothing about our team, or how it works. Its a race car, does not matter what type it is. And YOU may feel more comfortable with a "conventional" battery in your car, but myself and others don't. I have killed LOTS of regular batteries in my racing career. Usually one a year and ran two "red top" Optimas for years in my own car. So in a RACE car, these days I prefer a RACE battery. You and others seem to think I suggest stuff because it is cool, expensive or what we use on our heads-up car. I normally suggest stuff that is BETTER, based on experience. Lead acid batteries are OLD technology that hasn't changed much. The new stuff is just better. Now you may have the attitude "if it ain't broke don't fix it"..........and that's fine for you. But my own experience tells me that "regular" batteries die a quick death at the track with a charger on them all the time, as MOST people tend to do. Seems you have had that happen, if you are worried about being able to use the batt from your tow truck. A race battery is MADE for constant charging. So it makes no difference if it is a Pro-Mod or a 12 sec bracket car.........better is better.

Now frankly, I could care less what somebody uses for a battery. If they want a 100lb diesel batt, go for it. But to come and try to sway people from better technology, because of what MIGHT happen......why? Sure your battery MAY die at the track and so might ANY other part on the car, OR the truck, on the way to the track. So do you carry spare EVERYTHING, even for the truck and trailer.

And as I said above..........3 years on our Pro-Lite.......zero issues. NEVER had a conventional battery last that long in a race car

Monte

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: Consulier] #1785104
03/24/15 02:44 PM
03/24/15 02:44 PM
NY
F
F1Scamp Offline
mopar
F1Scamp  Offline
mopar
F

NY
I run an antigravity 16v race battery, weighs alittle over 4lbs. Did a test to see how many times it would start the car and run it without charging, but I ran out of fuel before I could find out. Started the car and ran it for 3 1/2mins 10x's before I ran out of fuel.. Electric fuel pump, msd, etc. After the 10 times the voltmeter showed 16.7v and it took 25mins to bring it back to full charge. You can get them for around a hundred less than what their online store shows if you have a local dealer. Pretty awesome battery to hide in a factory case...

Work In Progress- 71' Duster F.A.S.T.- 10.36@130 Smallblock Record Holder.
Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: Monte_Smith] #1785105
03/24/15 02:45 PM
03/24/15 02:45 PM
PA.
"Little"John
"Little"John

PA.
My diehard platinums last on average about 5 years and since I run an alternator charge it with a 1/2 amp charger over night usually every 2-3 weeks.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car [Re: pittsburghracer] #1785106
03/24/15 03:26 PM
03/24/15 03:26 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
maybe I missed it. these new batteries, can they be used with a normal car charging system in place?

oh, and the Red Top in my car was in my Challenger, I think its around 10 years old now and I bought out of some guys truck for $50

Last edited by sixpackgut; 03/24/15 03:28 PM.

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3