Moparts

Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car

Posted By: astjp2

Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/21/15 11:37 PM

These things are a 20 amp hour batter and 410 CCA, friggin amazing and they will start a 520 cubic inch airplane engine!
http://www.aerovoltz.com/av12.html
Now we will see the comments!

Its not much bigger than a rock star drink!
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/22/15 12:06 AM

We run a Pro-Lite in our car. Weighs 9lbs and spins the 14.1 738 over like it has no plugs in it.

A friend of ours uses remote control, toy helicopter batteries. He has 4 of those wired in series that run his entire car. With the (4) bundled together, the "pack" is about 6x6" and approx 10" long, weighs a couple pounds. The car has a twin turbo big block and all the associated paraphernalia to go with it. At a recent race, the full size Kenworth, that he uses had a dead battery. The helicopter battery pack started the KW.

Battery technology has come a LONG way

Monte

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/22/15 12:10 AM

The big battery weighs 3 pounds, we use them in aircraft, if I can save 30 lbs in the front of my hemi compared to a conventional battery, I think I need to do all I can to make up the weight from my heavy world block. Tim
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/22/15 12:33 AM

Crazy times we live in. Not to run a car but who in their right mind thought we would have small packs like this starting diesel engines.

http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batter...CC6VA8MD97377X3
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/22/15 03:11 AM

Not cheap but very good. A friend sells the line. A two pound battery is running the 110 ac lights and 12 volt ac through a inverter all nite, solar panels on top of trailer recharge them in 2-3 hours. Doesn't use his generator. This thing is the size of a riding lawn mower- motorcycle battery. Can be mounted anywhere it's so small. He's getting 300 bucks and his has 1200 ccamps and spins his 632 BBC with no effort, 3 year warranty too. Save 50-75 lbs on regular bat.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/22/15 06:04 AM

I was happy with my 11 pound battery till I started reading this thread. Oh well, guess I'll upgrade when this one dies.

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 05:11 AM

I am surprised that more people didn't chime in on this topic, maybe I need to include a fiberglass hold down or something to see if people are really serious about losing weight. Tim

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 05:20 AM

I still can't get over guys complaining about heavy weight cars but yet run two heavy azz batteries. If you can't get by with one battery and an alternator something is wrong with your set-up.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 05:24 AM

Quote:

I am surprised that more people didn't chime in on this topic, maybe I need to include a fiberglass hold down or something to see if people are really serious about losing weight. Tim

I bookmark the site you provided, I will probally buy two of the aircraft 12 V batterys for my new race car, lite is right How long have they been in STC for use now in aircraft? I'm a little leery of NICAD or Litheum(SP?) based on the problems Boeing has had with thiers in thier application I know it is two different worlds as far as their amount of batterys and use versus two in a drag race car
Thanks for the link and information on this
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 10:55 AM

For those running these batteries, are you mounting them in the trunk yet, or up front?

Jeff
Posted By: earthmover

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 11:52 AM

nice I may put 1 in the new car since I haven't got a battery yet.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 12:20 PM

My car runs 90lbs of battery's. Both on the right side. Weight distribution is 1% right to left. It's still 300lbs nose heavy. During testing I removed one battery. Slowed .02 in 60, ET improved by .02 . Not much help. With a bracket car going rounds late I like having the security of a 2nd battery.
Doug

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 02:22 PM

Quote:

For those running these batteries, are you mounting them in the trunk yet, or up front?

Jeff

We had our Lithium in the trunk, had no issues. We recently moved it into the pass compartment because we needed nose weight and moved everything we could forward

Monte
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 03:49 PM

Here are two questions I have:

Can these be used with a factory alternator and charging system?

How would these batteries wok for a street driven car?
Posted By: onig

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 08:46 PM

Quote:

Here are two questions I have:

Can these be used with a factory alternator and charging system?

How would these batteries wok for a street driven car?

Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 09:47 PM

Has anyone tried the Dyna- Batt? Seems like a reasonable cost for such light weight...

http://performancedistributors.com/product/dyna-batt/
Posted By: mafo

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 10:14 PM

I m very interested and would like to try one of those, but I m not running a alternator ,how big battery do I need?
fuel pump, msd, water pump and and no towing
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 11:18 PM

I am confused as to the weight. I show their specs on the right side of the page as: "Up to 10lbs Lighter than the stock battery". But in the text it says "2.5 lbs". I know my stock battery weighs closer to 40 lbs...
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 11:26 PM

I just spoke to them. They said this can be used in a vehicle application and it will run it just like any other battery. They use it on a 10.5:1 500 cid motor. It can be charged with a normal 12 volt alternator. They suggested the 16 cell battery: http://www.aerovoltz.com/av16.html

Sounds like this would work!
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/23/15 11:44 PM

Quote:

Jeff

I would think if I was running a 3 pound battery, I would put it as close to the starter as I could. At that weight, the position is not so critical, and you could save more weight, cost, and voltage loss with a short cable right to the starter.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 12:10 AM

Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 12:18 AM

Quote:

I am confused as to the weight. I show their specs on the right side of the page as: "Up to 10lbs Lighter than the stock battery". But in the text it says "2.5 lbs". I know my stock battery weighs closer to 40 lbs...

I'm guessing they're comparing to motorcycle batteries, not car batteries.

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 02:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm guessing they're comparing to motorcycle batteries, not car batteries.

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 02:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Jeff

I would think if I was running a 3 pound battery, I would put it as close to the starter as I could. At that weight, the position is not so critical, and you could save more weight, cost, and voltage loss with a short cable right to the starter.

My 12V lead acid airplane battery was mounted in the back of the airplane behind the baggage compartment for weight and balance purpose, about seven feet of cable to the starter. It was pretty small also That motor was 540 C.I. opposed six cylinder with 8.5 to 1 compression ratio, big bore with a long stroke
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 02:46 AM

I need a new battery, I could easily install the 3 lb, 16 cell battery 24" away from the starter, 12" away from the alternator and dump what...30 lbs of battery cable?

Seems too good to be true.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 02:54 AM

Battery technology (more correctly electrical storage technology--let's not forget our friends the capacitors!) is advancing rapidly, and that's a great thing.
BILLIONS are being invested. Things are changing. I am confident that the 40 lb lead acid ingot will become a thing of the past.

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 02:55 AM

Not to be a Debbie downer guys BUT say you travel to a race 200 miles away and all the sudden your battery goes kaput, dead in the water. Now you tore out your existing wiring to save a few pounds and mount your very small battery in front. Where the heck are you going to find a replacement in the allotted time to make the next round. This is why I stepped away from 16 volt batteries many many years ago when they were very hard to find. Not so bad now but it sure is nice to be able to grab one out of my truck or motorhome. Think about it and look at the whole picture.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 02:58 AM

Quote:

Not to be a Debbie downer guys BUT say you travel to a race 200 miles away and all the sudden your battery goes kaput, dead in the water. Now you tore out your existing wiring to save a few pounds and mount your very small battery in front. Where the heck are you going to find a replacement in the allotted time to make the next round. This is why I stepped away from 16 volt batteries many many years ago when they were very hard to find. Not so bad now but it sure is nice to be able to grab one out of my truck or motorhome. Think about it and look at the whole picture.

Good point, looks like I'll be buying Group 24 battery.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 05:01 AM

Quote:

I need a new battery, I could easily install the 3 lb, 16 cell battery 24" away from the starter, 12" away from the alternator and dump what...30 lbs of battery cable?

Seems too good to be true.

My 2.0 (not 2 gauge) cable weighs 7 lbs.
Doug
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 05:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ok Debbie.... you ever think of carrying a spare of anything?

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 06:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As a weekly bracket racers I have plenty of spares. Way to many times I am the "guy to go to" as many don't carry anything. My Son loaned out his brand new spare fuel pump last June to help a Friend out and still doesn't have it back yet. Keeping a brand new one of a kind battery is not the smartest move to make as the warranty starts the day you buy it so I'll keep running 8's and 9's with my good old Diehard Platinum 12 volt heavy weight battery.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 06:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I did all the time.. spare msd box, starter, alt,
switches, coil, wires, wire and a lot more.. and
after I broke a throttle cable I had a spare for it
EDIT
And if your thinking batteries.. I had 4 in my tow
rig.. 2 for the diesel, 1 for the gen and 1 in the
trailer for the winch (all on a charging system)
Posted By: mopardude318

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 06:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As a weekly bracket racers I have plenty of spares. Way to many times I am the "guy to go to" as many don't carry anything. My Son loaned out his brand new spare fuel pump last June to help a Friend out and still doesn't have it back yet. Keeping a brand new one of a kind battery is not the smartest move to make as the warranty starts the day you buy it so I'll keep running 8's and 9's with my good old Diehard Platinum 12 volt heavy weight battery.

those DieHard Platinums are terrific batteries. (same exact thing as an oddyssey)

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 08:14 AM

Quote:

3 years on our pro-lite without a hiccup. I will take my chances and not run a 60lb battery

Monte

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 02:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

3 years on our pro-lite without a hiccup. I will take my chances and not run a 60lb battery

Monte

Apples to oranges again Monte. The team you are on is a heads up type team car with shared monies (and help) to keep it in operation and probably sponsors helping out. I'm talking Joe Blow pay for your ride weekly bracket racers which MOST of the guys on this site are. Even most of our heads-up guys are adding weight so if its in the right spot I'll take an easy to replace battery over a lead weight bar. Sometimes you are out of touch with the average racer Monte. Get that car running so you get a reality check. 39 plus years and never missed a race season yet so I've made a FEW passes too.
Posted By: Consulier

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 02:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Apples to oranges again Monte. The team you are on is a heads up type team car with shared monies (and help) to keep it in operation and probably sponsors helping out. I'm talking Joe Blow pay for your ride weekly bracket racers which MOST of the guys on this site are. Even most of our heads-up guys are adding weight so if its in the right spot I'll take an easy to replace battery over a lead weight bar. Sometimes you are out of touch with the average racer Monte. Get that car running so you get a reality check. 39 plus years and never missed a race season yet so I've made a FEW passes too.

I would go to Wal-Mart and buy a replacement, or just carry a spare. Most of these are all made by Deka and branded with whatever private label is paying. You can get an equivalent AGM from Wal-Mart that will cover about 99% of anything you need for about $100.

I've run my Braille over multiple road course sessions (20 minutes) without an alternator and have not had any issues. The best battery I have ever owned. Will I spend the money and get Braille next time? Probably not, now that I know I can get the same thing at Wal-Mart for half the price.

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

No, I am FAR from out of touch, nor do I need a reality check and you know nothing about our team, or how it works. Its a race car, does not matter what type it is. And YOU may feel more comfortable with a "conventional" battery in your car, but myself and others don't. I have killed LOTS of regular batteries in my racing career. Usually one a year and ran two "red top" Optimas for years in my own car. So in a RACE car, these days I prefer a RACE battery. You and others seem to think I suggest stuff because it is cool, expensive or what we use on our heads-up car. I normally suggest stuff that is BETTER, based on experience. Lead acid batteries are OLD technology that hasn't changed much. The new stuff is just better. Now you may have the attitude "if it ain't broke don't fix it"..........and that's fine for you. But my own experience tells me that "regular" batteries die a quick death at the track with a charger on them all the time, as MOST people tend to do. Seems you have had that happen, if you are worried about being able to use the batt from your tow truck. A race battery is MADE for constant charging. So it makes no difference if it is a Pro-Mod or a 12 sec bracket car.........better is better.

Now frankly, I could care less what somebody uses for a battery. If they want a 100lb diesel batt, go for it. But to come and try to sway people from better technology, because of what MIGHT happen......why? Sure your battery MAY die at the track and so might ANY other part on the car, OR the truck, on the way to the track. So do you carry spare EVERYTHING, even for the truck and trailer.

And as I said above..........3 years on our Pro-Lite.......zero issues. NEVER had a conventional battery last that long in a race car

Monte
Posted By: F1Scamp

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 06:44 PM

I run an antigravity 16v race battery, weighs alittle over 4lbs. Did a test to see how many times it would start the car and run it without charging, but I ran out of fuel before I could find out. Started the car and ran it for 3 1/2mins 10x's before I ran out of fuel.. Electric fuel pump, msd, etc. After the 10 times the voltmeter showed 16.7v and it took 25mins to bring it back to full charge. You can get them for around a hundred less than what their online store shows if you have a local dealer. Pretty awesome battery to hide in a factory case...

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 06:45 PM

My diehard platinums last on average about 5 years and since I run an alternator charge it with a 1/2 amp charger over night usually every 2-3 weeks.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 07:26 PM

maybe I missed it. these new batteries, can they be used with a normal car charging system in place?

oh, and the Red Top in my car was in my Challenger, I think its around 10 years old now and I bought out of some guys truck for $50
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 07:55 PM

Quote:

I run an antigravity 16v race battery, weighs alittle over 4lbs. Did a test to see how many times it would start the car and run it without charging, but I ran out of fuel before I could find out. Started the car and ran it for 3 1/2mins 10x's before I ran out of fuel.. Electric fuel pump, msd, etc. After the 10 times the voltmeter showed 16.7v and it took 25mins to bring it back to full charge. You can get them for around a hundred less than what their online store shows if you have a local dealer. Pretty awesome battery to hide in a factory case...

Do you have a link?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/24/15 08:12 PM

I have no idea Ray..... I'll change styles of battery
when I can buy it local.. that way when mine does
die I can get one anywhere... my battery in the race
car is still going strong.. 9 years racing and now
it sits in the car.. thats 2 years now.. just for kicks
when I was in the trailer today I tested it.. 13.5v..
I feel bad about that battery... its sorta dirty
but otherwise still going ... if the battery in the
Rampage last half as long I'll be happy... I do run
a charging system on all my junk
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/25/15 12:32 AM

Have one in the race car, one in the tow truck, and one in trailer with an inverter to run the 110 lights, that's three, how many more do you need?
Posted By: F1Scamp

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/25/15 01:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Do you have a link?

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/antigravity-batteries-16-volt-vtx12-20/

Their small jump packs are pretty amazing as well. I have started 8 cars in a row without charging.

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/25/15 04:11 PM

I don't want to go through the headache of using a 16V battery. Tim

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/25/15 05:50 PM

Quote:

I don't want to go through the headache of using a 16V battery. Tim

My Daytona went thru about (3) 16 volt turbo starts over years so one day I did a back to back test switching out a charged 16 volts battery for a charged 12 volt battery. The car was running 8.70's at the time and ran exactly the same with both batteries. I have now gone a step further and added a chevy single wire 60 amp alternator and monitor my passes on my RacPak and all is well.
The small tire Duster I just bought came with a 16 volt battery and being its a heads-up type class I will check it out and possibly re-buy a 16 volt charger. These cars have so many critical electronics in them you better not have a voltage drop or it may cost you an engine.
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/25/15 07:51 PM

I bought this one so I could charge 16 or 12 volt.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-1005

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/25/15 09:56 PM

Quote:

I bought this one so I could charge 16 or 12 volt.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-1005

Yes that's the one I was looking at so I could use it on both cars. I even had a 16 volt alternator at one time but sold it.

Re: Anyone interested in a 2.5lb battery to start their car - 03/25/15 09:59 PM

282 dollars with Pro-Shop discount. I can go out and get an ice creme cone now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums