S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

So what would cause a main or rod bearing to fail so soon? Is it likely that it was the machine shops fault? Bear in mind, they gave me the engine back with the rocker shafts backwards and rocker arms in the wrong places. Had two freeze plugs leak badly and need to be replaced. And they didn't bother to chase any threads from what I could see.

/I'm going to call the machine shop on Monday to tell them they need to take care of this.

In your valve train pic, are you using brass shims directly under your springs? I also notice your using a combo of behives and regular type springs.
It wouldn't hurt to inspect those as well. But, its more then likely bearings. From the filter pic, the deposits look like a lot.

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Sport440] #1780002
03/15/15 12:25 PM
03/15/15 12:25 PM
Va
D
Dodge City Offline
Dodge City  Offline
D

Va
In your third picture where you are priming the engine , I see brass flakes on the camshaft gear already before engine break in. Also looks like one of the gear teeth is nicked.

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780003
03/15/15 12:37 PM
03/15/15 12:37 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
I take it you couldn't find a MOPAR specific engine builder in your area? Obviously this engine "builder" has zero experience with a Chrysler engine and should not be allowed to go near your engine again.

Cut your losses and find a builder familiar with Chrysler engines

Gus

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1780004
03/15/15 01:32 PM
03/15/15 01:32 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

Could have wiped the cam

Look at the photo ... its a roller cam.

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Stanton] #1780005
03/15/15 01:39 PM
03/15/15 01:39 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

Also looks like one of the gear teeth is nicked

I see the nick - right at the edge - looks lik it was hit with something hard. But I doubt that's an issue because you drive gear is steel and shows no wear.

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Sport440] #1780006
03/15/15 02:06 PM
03/15/15 02:06 PM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
Quote:

Quote:

So what would cause a main or rod bearing to fail so soon? Is it likely that it was the machine shops fault? Bear in mind, they gave me the engine back with the rocker shafts backwards and rocker arms in the wrong places. Had two freeze plugs leak badly and need to be replaced. And they didn't bother to chase any threads from what I could see.

/I'm going to call the machine shop on Monday to tell them they need to take care of this.

In your valve train pic, are you using brass shims directly under your springs? I also notice your using a combo of behives and regular type springs.
It wouldn't hurt to inspect those as well. But, its more then likely bearings. From the filter pic, the deposits look like a lot.

Looks like brass but I don't know. I didn't rebuild it. And if there are two types of springs the machine shop must have done that.

Quote:

I take it you couldn't find a MOPAR specific engine builder in your area? Obviously this engine "builder" has zero experience with a Chrysler engine and should not be allowed to go near your engine again.

Gus

Unfortunately I'm not wealthy enough to just walk away from $1400. So The machine shop I went with is going to have to be held responsible. And no I wasn't able to find a Chrysler builder anywhere in San Diego.

Quote:

Quote:

Also looks like one of the gear teeth is nicked

I see the nick - right at the edge - looks lik it was hit with something hard. But I doubt that's an issue because you drive gear is steel and shows no wear.

Ya I saw that too before I put the intake on.

/Does anyone know what they possibly did wrong?

Last edited by Instigate; 03/15/15 02:07 PM.
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780007
03/15/15 02:18 PM
03/15/15 02:18 PM
D
dulcich Offline
super stock
dulcich  Offline
super stock
D

Debris, improper clearance, out of round or tapered journals, lack of lubrication, main cap alignments or placement, bearing crush, or any combination of the above.

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780008
03/15/15 02:25 PM
03/15/15 02:25 PM
Pa. U.S.A.
moparborn Offline
super stock
moparborn  Offline
super stock

Pa. U.S.A.
Yes,They assembled your motor without any knowledge of how.

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780009
03/15/15 02:27 PM
03/15/15 02:27 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
A month ago several of us told you that this build had all the makings of a train wreck. Even though there were several major issues identified back then, you choose to fix them yourself, and not question the rest of the build, all the while talking about your warranty.

Probably time to exercise your warranty. Good Luck

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: BSB67] #1780010
03/15/15 02:49 PM
03/15/15 02:49 PM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
Quote:

A month ago several of us told you that this build had all the makings of a train wreck. Even though there were several major issues identified back then, you choose to fix them yourself, and not question the rest of the build, all the while talking about your warranty.

I've been in contact with the shop every step of the way. I fixed the valve train issue because it was easy and I knew I would do it correctly. What were the other so called "Major Issues" that were identified? The only other issue was two leaky freeze plugs. I replaced one and it still leaked so I put an expansion plug in temporary and had the machine shop replace the two that were leaking. I checked the things I was told to check. There was nothing I could do but move forward. What would you suggest I should have done? The machine shop said to run it, so I did. If there was something wrong(which obviously there was)it would be on the machine shop. I've also been documenting everything in preparation for court if needed. So I don't understand where you get off implying I did something wrong.

Quote:

Yes,They assembled your motor without any knowledge of how.

Haha

Quote:

Debris, improper clearance, out of round or tapered journals, lack of lubrication, main cap alignments or placement, bearing crush, or any combination of the above.

So, a lot of stuff.

Last edited by Instigate; 03/15/15 02:59 PM.
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780011
03/15/15 02:56 PM
03/15/15 02:56 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I wish I was still in San Diego.

But I left there in 93.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1780012
03/15/15 02:58 PM
03/15/15 02:58 PM
Pangaea
B5 Bee Offline
master
B5 Bee  Offline
master

Pangaea
Quote:

Gus

A builder familiar with Chrysler engines will help but it's no guarantee.
I had similar debris in a new motor after 37 passes. Cam bearings had wiped out, the new ones had been installed by a well known Mopar engine builder.

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: B5 Bee] #1780013
03/15/15 03:01 PM
03/15/15 03:01 PM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
Quote:

Quote:

Gus

A builder familiar with Chrysler engines will help but it's no guarantee.
I had similar debris in a new motor after 37 passes. Cam bearings had wiped out, the new ones had been installed by a well known Mopar engine builder.

I see.

Quote:

I wish I was still in San Diego.

But I left there in 93.

I'm in North County. I love San Diego. Never want to move from this area.

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780014
03/15/15 03:46 PM
03/15/15 03:46 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Quote:

Quote:

I've been in contact with the shop every step of the way. I fixed the valve train issue because it was easy and I knew I would do it correctly. What were the other so called "Major Issues" that were identified? The only other issue was two leaky freeze plugs. I replaced one and it still leaked so I put an expansion plug in temporary and had the machine shop replace the two that were leaking. I checked the things I was told to check. There was nothing I could do but move forward. What would you suggest I should have done? The machine shop said to run it, so I did. If there was something wrong(which obviously there was)it would be on the machine shop. I've also been documenting everything in preparation for court if needed. So I don't understand where you get off implying I did something wrong.

Rocker shafts on wrong, rocker arms on wrong, leaking freeze plugs. Collectively, they scream of complete incompetence.

You could be sitting here with a good running motor, and possibly a warranty claim, or what looks like a bad motor, and preparing yourself for a law suit. Even if you win the claim or suit, it is hard to imagine sitting with a motor full of metal the better path.

If you are pleased with your choices, that is all that matters.

I don't remember all of the posts, but did you say they ran the motor and broke it in? If so, was that with the rockers and shafts on wrong and freeze plug leaking?

How was your oil pressure for the time you had it running? I would think that you would have low oil pressure, and some motor and or lifter noise too.

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: BSB67] #1780015
03/15/15 04:14 PM
03/15/15 04:14 PM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rocker shafts on wrong, rocker arms on wrong, leaking freeze plugs. Collectively, they scream of complete incompetence.

You could be sitting here with a good running motor, and possibly a warranty claim, or what looks like a bad motor, and preparing yourself for a law suit. Even if you win the claim or suit, it is hard to imagine sitting with a motor full of metal the better path.

If you are pleased with your choices, that is all that matters.

I don't remember all of the posts, but did you say they ran the motor and broke it in? If so, was that with the rockers and shafts on wrong and freeze plug leaking?

How was your oil pressure for the time you had it running? I would think that you would have low oil pressure, and some motor and or lifter noise too.

So you list the valvetrain issue and the freeze plugs...I obviously fixed the valve train before running it and had the machine shop fix the freeze plugs before breaking it in. What are you even talking about? What could I have done to be sitting here with a good running motor?
"I would think that you would have low oil pressure, and some motor and or lifter noise too."
You would be thinking wrong. The oil pressure was good at all times and there was no noise.

/And I obviously wouldn't need to sue unless they tried to get out of fixing it.

Last edited by Instigate; 03/15/15 04:15 PM.
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780016
03/15/15 05:09 PM
03/15/15 05:09 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

What could I have done to be sitting here with a good running motor

Not much you could have done, did what you could.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Sport440] #1780017
03/15/15 06:13 PM
03/15/15 06:13 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

I believe what you're seeing is exhaust valve rotators, tipicaLLY USED ON TRUCK AND rv ENGINES.

tHE SPRINGS ARE ALL THE SAME.

eXHAUST VALVE ROTATORS ARE HEAVY AND NOT GOOD FOR HI RPM ENGINES. bUT FINE/NECESSARY FOR A EVERYDAY DRIVER OR A TRUCK OR rv.

To the OP,

Tuneup has everything to do with engine longevity. Jetting/fuel mixture/pressure and timing.
It it is not right, it can easily pound the rod bearings out of it in some cases. Then all the bearings get wasted because the rods bearing junk and ruins the main bearings.

Bet all the rod bearings fall out(no crush) and are down to there brass like material backs.

So please don't jump to the conclusion that the machine shop did some thing wrong right away other than them not getting the core plugs in leak free.

I would think the shop are not dummys. And bet they didn't take the rockers off the shafts and were like that when they got them? IMO even if you ran the rockers like that it would have been ok. Maybe not the best but would have survived in a low rpm truck motor. I ran my rockers mixed up years ago and it never hurt anything that I knew about before I knew better.

Sucks I know,

Last edited by Challenger 1; 03/15/15 07:25 PM.
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Challenger 1] #1780018
03/15/15 08:21 PM
03/15/15 08:21 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Chally if those are rotators as you suspect, you cant use them with brass shims undernieth the springs. The shims will ate up in short order.

OP, take a valve covers off and see if you see signs of the shim spacers being ate up.

Maybe the bearings are fine/were and the excess metal is from the shims. ???

Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Sport440] #1780019
03/15/15 08:38 PM
03/15/15 08:38 PM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
Quote:

Chally if those are rotators as you suspect, you cant use them with brass shims undernieth the springs. The shims will ate up in short order.

OP, take a valve covers off and see if you see signs of the shim spacers being ate up.

Maybe the bearings are fine/were and the excess metal is from the shims. ???

Yeah, I'll try that Monday unless the machine shop just wants to tow it somewhere right away. But, say that it is the shim spacers. Would the engine still need to be torn back down? Because with all that metal in the oil, wouldn't it lead to other components failing?

Quote:

Quote:

What could I have done to be sitting here with a good running motor

Not much you could have done, did what you could.

That's what I thought. I don't know why these guys want to defend this machine shop. I followed every instruction to the tee.

Last edited by Instigate; 03/15/15 08:38 PM.
Re: Rebuilt Engine - Brass flakes in oil [Re: Instigate] #1780020
03/15/15 08:43 PM
03/15/15 08:43 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Yes, even it the metal was from the shims, its circulated by now and the bearings will be marked up as well.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4