02/18/15 10:20 PM
Bradenton, FL
B
Benforsp Offline OP
Benforsp  Offline OP
B

Bradenton, FL
Quote:

Our PowerSurge would be ideal. No need to change the fuel lines or the fuel tank. Can be used with carbs or FI by changing the regulator:

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/powersurge.html

Well, having just dealt with a situation where someone told me the deal I was presenting was too be good to be true, I find my self in the same situation.... I have seen the surge tank solution and this seems really nice. Does it require the mechanical pump as I do not have provision for one? Can it be mounted at the back of the car? This is very intriguing!

Re: Fuel System Upgrade Recommendations [Re: Benforsp] #1755813
02/18/15 10:58 PM
02/18/15 10:58 PM
Carson City, Nevada
RobbMc Offline
super stock
RobbMc  Offline
super stock

Carson City, Nevada
Quote:

Well, having just dealt with a situation where someone told me the deal I was presenting was too be good to be true, I find my self in the same situation.... I have seen the surge tank solution and this seems really nice. Does it require the mechanical pump as I do not have provision for one? Can it be mounted at the back of the car? This is very intriguing!

You can mount it anywhere it will fit as long as it is upright (or nearly so). But you do need a "lift pump" to feed the surge tank. Normally a mechanical pump is used as the lift pump but you could also use a small electric pump. Even 40 gph would be plenty.

Designing a better mouse trap always seems to lead to the evolution of smarter mice. www.robbmcperformance.com
Re: Fuel System Upgrade Recommendations [Re: RobbMc] #1755814
02/19/15 04:48 PM
02/19/15 04:48 PM
Bradenton, FL
B
Benforsp Offline OP
Benforsp  Offline OP
B

Bradenton, FL
Quote:

Quote:

You can mount it anywhere it will fit as long as it is upright (or nearly so). But you do need a "lift pump" to feed the surge tank. Normally a mechanical pump is used as the lift pump but you could also use a small electric pump. Even 40 gph would be plenty.

Well, I am hoping the system would be quiet...so to clarify you are saying I could run...say a Walboro external pump of the existing sender to your 1000 Surge system using the 5/16 line as a feed and the 1/4 vapor as a return and it would support a 100 hp? I am lead to believe the smaller line size would add heat to the fuel and considering how much would be flowing back through the return at idle..would it be better to run larger lines?

Re: Fuel System Upgrade Recommendations [Re: Benforsp] #1755815
02/19/15 05:17 PM
02/19/15 05:17 PM
Carson City, Nevada
RobbMc Offline
super stock
RobbMc  Offline
super stock

Carson City, Nevada
The PowerSurge is ideal for, and was designed for, the customer who is starting with a completely stock fuel system and has recently increased the horsepower (and/or switched to EFI) such that the stock fuel system will no longer suffice.
The PowerSurge is designed to be used with the stock fuel lines, stock mechanical pump and stock fuel tank. It eliminates the need for a sumped/baffled tank or a fuel cell.

It does require a return/bypass regulator but the return line runs from the regulator to the PowerSurge, not back to the fuel tank (so it normally makes the most sense to mount the unit in the engine compartment).

Using larger fuel lines to and from the fuel tank does nothing to improve performance. Using a high performance fuel pump to feed the PowerSurge does nothing to improve performance. A stock mechanical pump is fine. (The stock pump is just used to keep the PowerSurge topped off with fuel). If you can't run a stock mechanical pump, a small electric pump mounted as low and as close to the fuel tank as possible will also work but a stock mechanical pump is usually more dependable and quieter.

Designing a better mouse trap always seems to lead to the evolution of smarter mice. www.robbmcperformance.com
Re: Fuel System Upgrade Recommendations [Re: RobbMc] #1755816
02/19/15 05:26 PM
02/19/15 05:26 PM
Bradenton, FL
B
Benforsp Offline OP
Benforsp  Offline OP
B

Bradenton, FL
Quote:

The PowerSurge is ideal for, and was designed for, the customer who is starting with a completely stock fuel system and has recently increased the horsepower (and/or switched to EFI) such that the stock fuel system will no longer suffice.
The PowerSurge is designed to be used with the stock fuel lines, stock mechanical pump and stock fuel tank. It eliminates the need for a sumped/baffled tank or a fuel cell.

It does require a return/bypass regulator but the return line runs from the regulator to the PowerSurge, not back to the fuel tank (so it normally makes the most sense to mount the unit in the engine compartment).

Using larger fuel lines to and from the fuel tank does nothing to improve performance. Using a high performance fuel pump to feed the PowerSurge does nothing to improve performance. A stock mechanical pump is fine. (The stock pump is just used to keep the PowerSurge topped off with fuel). If you can't run a stock mechanical pump, a small electric pump mounted as low and as close to the fuel tank as possible will also work but a stock mechanical pump is usually more dependable and quieter.

I don't have a provision for a stock pump so I had thought to run an electric pump to the surge and mount everything in the back using the existing feed line and then hook the return to the vapor line and run it back to your surge tank. The Walboro pump is relatively cheap and quiet from what I understand. I would hate to have a holley back there howling away...do you have a different suggestion?

Re: Fuel System Upgrade Recommendations [Re: Benforsp] #1755817
02/19/15 05:39 PM
02/19/15 05:39 PM
Carson City, Nevada
RobbMc Offline
super stock
RobbMc  Offline
super stock

Carson City, Nevada
Quote:

I don't have a provision for a stock pump so I had thought to run an electric pump to the surge and mount everything in the back using the existing feed line and then hook the return to the vapor line and run it back to your surge tank. The Walboro pump is relatively cheap and quiet from what I understand. I would hate to have a holley back there howling away...do you have a different suggestion?

Well, the stock 5/16" fuel line from the stock tank to the PowerSurge is fine. However, the fuel line to and from the PowerSurge and the carb/FI will need to be at least 3/8", possibly 1/2", depending on how much power you make. So, if you mount the PowerSurge in the back of the car, you end up running larger lines the length of the car, which negates some of the advantages of the PowerSurge.

Since you can't run a stock mechanical pump, and since you don't want to mount the PowerSurge near the front of the car, the PowerSurge isn't ideal for you after all. Sorry. It's really designed to be mounted near the front of the car and to make it easy to upgrade an existing stock system.

Re: Fuel System Upgrade Recommendations [Re: Benforsp] #1755818
02/19/15 05:47 PM
02/19/15 05:47 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

If your talking the return thats on a filter with
a 1/4" nipple.. that has a .060 restriction in it
so you might want to open that up by drilling it out
to close to 3/16"(thats the ID of a 1/4" line/nipple)..
from what Rob is saying you just need a small supply
pump to keep the canister full.. I'm not sure about
his product but I think its more designed to be up
front but I could be wrong.. my way of thinking is
that the supply line couldnt handle the demands
(from the rear of the car to the front)... but I
dont know his item there
EDIT
Never mind... he explained it

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 02/19/15 05:48 PM.
Re: Fuel System Upgrade Recommendations [Re: RobbMc] #1755819
02/19/15 05:51 PM
02/19/15 05:51 PM
Bradenton, FL
B
Benforsp Offline OP
Benforsp  Offline OP
B

Bradenton, FL
Honestly, I don't think it is too bad. I had planned to run larger lines anyway. I had been research about how to modify the fuel tank to support EFI and that seems pretty pricey and still requires new lines etc. If your system eliminates the need to change the tank and all else being equal...it would probably be cheaper then a new tank or a Phantom style system. Maybe I am missing something though

Re: Fuel System Upgrade Recommendations [Re: Benforsp] #1755820
02/19/15 06:03 PM
02/19/15 06:03 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Honestly, I don't think it is too bad. I had planned to run larger lines anyway. I had been research about how to modify the fuel tank to support EFI and that seems pretty pricey and still requires new lines etc. If your system eliminates the need to change the tank and all else being equal...it would probably be cheaper then a new tank or a Phantom style system. Maybe I am missing something though

If you run larger lines to the front then it would
work fine.. that way you can keep the stock tank
and the stock sending unit but would still need a
small supply pump.... but his tank has enough volume
to handle heavy loads for some time period

Re: Fuel System Upgrade Recommendations [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1755821
02/20/15 01:46 AM
02/20/15 01:46 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Lots of ways to skin the cat. On the back to front lines, sounds like 3/8" supply would work with any of the ideas posted. Another question... why SS? Its pretty but has drawbacks. Its not possible to flare it for custom connections as you will likely need with common tools. $300+ high end tool needed. Even then, seal is iffy as the SS is hard and has problems conforming to the mating fitting. Also on steel vs hose, repop steel lines package very well. Around the rear wheel house, for example, no problem with steel. A challenge with hose.

The OE mild steel lines on my car lasted 40 years. My mild steel replacements should last that long at least on a 3 season car.

No surprise, I suggest 3/8" mild steel supply lines and 5/16" return.

Re: Fuel System Upgrade Recommendations [Re: Benforsp] #1755822
02/20/15 10:19 AM
02/20/15 10:19 AM
Indy
FlyFish Offline
super stock
FlyFish  Offline
super stock

Indy
Quote:

Quote:

I have 1/2" push lock hose on my car from regulator to carb and it works great (1/2" hard line from cell to regulator). It is a bit of a pain to "push" the fittings into the hose, but after the trial and error approach, I found that putting the end of the hose in boiling water for 15-30 seconds then jamming it on the fitting worked best.

My car is on e85 if that helps.

Flyfish,

What brand are you using for push-lock hose? Do they give you any trouble at the track?

I used Russel Twist Loc hose. It is NHRA legal, and no they don't give me any trouble at the track.

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/hose/twist-lok.shtml

67 Barracuda street car, 408, e85, 1.38 60', 6.44 @105.9 in the 1/8 mile, 10.19 @130.5 in the 1/4...so far....
Re: Fuel System Upgrade Recommendations [Re: FlyFish] #1755823
02/23/15 02:09 PM
02/23/15 02:09 PM
Gilroy,CA.
mopardude318 Offline
enthusiast
mopardude318  Offline
enthusiast

Gilroy,CA.
i know you guys will probably hate me for this, but i thought for me, this was the simplest solution to solve my fuel delivery issues...I used the Aeromotive phantom 340 in tank pump kit. i will be plumbing 1/2" feed and return lines to my carbureated 408 stroker.

then i bought a new spectra fuel tank and welded in a recess for the lines to clear the trunk floor.

408 Stroker 533 HP 520 FT LBS...........................1970 Dart RMS AlterKation
Page 2 of 2 1 2