01/14/15 12:38 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

To all that are following this thread, as the OP I would like to invite any other electrical knowledge anyone is willing to post here, in the hopes this thread will become a great resource(it already has WAY surpassed my expectations!!!) for all of us, especially now in the age where we are getting into more and more sensitive electrical issues and systems.
One thing that comes to mind would be charts like used to figure wire gauge for load and length, etc. Math used in electrical work is another.
At this time I would also like to thank all that posted here with info. I appreciate it, and have learned a lot so far. Thanks, Greg

Radiator electrolysis can be a real killer of aluminum radiators. To test, VOM on 2 vlt scale. Negative probe to a known good grd. Positive probe in the coolant ( make sure it does not touch rad neck, etc). Take a reading. Take another reading while starter is engaged. Start the car and turn all electrical circuits on. A reading of .2 volts or above = bad ground. A change in voltage as you turn circuits on and off is a good way to isolate the problem. This is referred to as type "A" electrolysis. If the voltage does not vary as you turn stuff on and off, but remains above .2 vlts, that is referred to as type "B" electrolysis. This indicates acidic fluid. Dump the coolant, flush the system, and replace the coolant. OR, a quick check = stick your finger in the coolant. If it comes out black, you have an electrolysis problem. Obviously bad news for heads, block, or anything else aluminum. A "known good ground" would be the - battery post.

Fastest 300
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Crizila] #1722152
01/17/15 07:08 PM
01/17/15 07:08 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
As I said when more information was available I would post it. Some understand the next paragraph. So for those who don't. When current is flowing through a wire there are magnetic lines of force that encircle the wire. The closer another wire is to the current carrying conductor the more the likely hood that those magnetic lines of force will induce current in the 2nd wire. We also can have voltage "leakage" where the insulator isn't sufficient and voltage can jump to the next wire. The last item that has been talked about is "flyback". An example of flyback would be when the circuit for the primary winding in the coil is opened its magnetic field collapses. This induces voltage in the secondary winding firing the plug. When this energy dissipates through the secondary winding it induces voltage back into the primary winding. This voltage is known as flyback. After talking to 6 electrical engineers I was directed by all of them to go and talk to the same person. This is what I learned from our EE PHD. As we've talked about having all the grounds in close proximity is a good idea. He was right on board with Monty's copper bar. He also liked the separate ground cable, but for a different reason. Running both a separate ground cable and the positive lead side by side helps cancel noise. That could be the same reason running the box leads to the battery was beneficial (leads side by side). His definition of what he thought would be the very best wiring.
#1 both hot and ground cables side by side.
#2 the hot cable directly to the starter, with feeds to a remote power stud and the alternator.
#3 the ground to the copper ground block.
#4 the block and heads grounded there.
#5 clean properly sized terminals and cable.
#6 twisted pair to sensors. with optional shielding grounded at one end
#7 care in running any sensor wiring near plug wires and or power cables.
Also note: shielding helps with voltage noise but doesn't do much for magnetic force.
In closing obviously in the majority of cases we get away with less. Make the choice of what you think you need for your application. I would think after reading this thread you can make an informed decision.
Doug

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: dvw] #1722153
01/17/15 08:06 PM
01/17/15 08:06 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

As I said when more information was available I would post it. Some understand the next paragraph. So for those who don't. When current is flowing through a wire there are magnetic lines of force that encircle the wire. The closer another wire is to the current carrying conductor the more the likely hood that those magnetic lines of force will induce current in the 2nd wire. We also can have voltage "leakage" where the insulator isn't sufficient and voltage can jump to the next wire. The last item that has been talked about is "flyback". An example of flyback would be when the circuit for the primary winding in the coil is opened its magnetic field collapses. This induces voltage in the secondary winding firing the plug. When this energy dissipates through the secondary winding it induces voltage back into the primary winding. This voltage is known as flyback. After talking to 6 electrical engineers I was directed by all of them to go and talk to the same person. This is what I learned from our EE PHD. As we've talked about having all the grounds in close proximity is a good idea. He was right on board with Monty's copper bar. He also liked the separate ground cable, but for a different reason. Running both a separate ground cable and the positive lead side by side helps cancel noise. That could be the same reason running the box leads to the battery was beneficial (leads side by side). His definition of what he thought would be the very best wiring.
#2 the hot cable directly to the starter, with feeds to a remote power stud and the alternator.
Also note: shielding helps with voltage noise but doesn't do much for magnetic force.
In closing obviously in the majority of cases we get away with less. Make the choice of what you think you need for your application. I would think after reading this thread you can make an informed decision.
Doug

Sounds like your engineer would wire something the same as I do, with the exception that I prefer to run a Ford starter relay, in lieu of running hot wire directly to starter. Good info, glad to know I appear to be doing something right.......LOL!!

And I agree that "twisted pairs" are a good idea and I do it often with things that can backfeed, like trans brake solenoids, buttons, coil wires, hots and grounds of any electronics, etc. Guys often ask me, "how do you do that".........it's pretty simple really. The pair you want "twisted", simply put the ends of the wire in your cordless drill, tighten the chuck and twist away. Be careful, because you CAN break it if you twist them too tight.

And I know it is EASIER to say ground your trans brake or electric shift solenoid, right AT the trans or shifter.....BUT, these two items are notoriously bad for feedback when the circuit collapses. Also remember that these inputs likely run through delay boxes, shift modules, or ign boxes. Feedback can create havoc with all these devices, making consistent release and operation sketchy. So take the time, run a full length twisted pair, ground them clean and you may solve some issues.

Monte

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722154
01/17/15 09:02 PM
01/17/15 09:02 PM
Morrow, OH
markz528 Offline
master
markz528  Offline
master

Morrow, OH
Speaking of best practices for wiring, how many of you use free wheeling diodes on solenoids and large relays? It is a very good idea.

67 Coronet 500 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
67 Coronet 500 (street car) 14.82 @ 94 mph
69 GTX (clone) - build in progress......
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: markz528] #1722155
01/18/15 12:36 AM
01/18/15 12:36 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722156
01/18/15 03:29 AM
01/18/15 03:29 AM
jacksonville,FLORIDA
slammedR/T Offline
super stock
slammedR/T  Offline
super stock

jacksonville,FLORIDA
Quote:

Quote:

Doug

Sounds like your engineer would wire something the same as I do, with the exception that I prefer to run a Ford starter relay, in lieu of running hot wire directly to starter. Good info, glad to know I appear to be doing something right.......LOL!!

And I agree that "twisted pairs" are a good idea and I do it often with things that can backfeed, like trans brake solenoids, buttons, coil wires, hots and grounds of any electronics, etc. Guys often ask me, "how do you do that".........it's pretty simple really. The pair you want "twisted", simply put the ends of the wire in your cordless drill, tighten the chuck and twist away. Be careful, because you CAN break it if you twist them too tight.

And I know it is EASIER to say ground your trans brake or electric shift solenoid, right AT the trans or shifter.....BUT, these two items are notoriously bad for feedback when the circuit collapses. Also remember that these inputs likely run through delay boxes, shift modules, or ign boxes. Feedback can create havoc with all these devices, making consistent release and operation sketchy. So take the time, run a full length twisted pair, ground them clean and you may solve some issues.

Monte

I fixed a buddy's trans brake issue by moving the ground he had on the oil pan bolt, to a good clean ground stud inside the car. No more problems with the trans brake not working sometimes.

2000 Dakota R/T, 408 magnum, 727, Indy heads
1000cfm 4150 carb, 93 octane fuel.
motor; 10.258 @ 132.78
200 shot; 9.262 @ 144.69
racemagnum
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: slammedR/T] #1722157
01/18/15 04:40 PM
01/18/15 04:40 PM
Michigan
K
Kiddart Offline
pro stock
Kiddart  Offline
pro stock
K

Michigan
Is it bad practice to have a few different items on your car ground to the same location, for example, lights fan and ignition on the same lug.

Good or bad.

I am tracking an issue that's why I ask

Thank you
Kiddart
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Kiddart] #1722158
01/18/15 04:46 PM
01/18/15 04:46 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

Is it bad practice to have a few different items on your car ground to the same location, for example, lights fan and ignition on the same lug.

Good or bad.

I am tracking an issue that's why I ask

The less the better. That being said I've seen as many as three on factory locations. I run no more than 2. What issue do you have?
Doug

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Airwoofer] #1722159
01/18/15 05:29 PM
01/18/15 05:29 PM
northern,Ohio,USA
C
Clanton Offline
master
Clanton  Offline
master
C

northern,Ohio,USA
Quote:

Quote:

So anyways, why wouldn't having a separate power and ground buss for the race car stuff not work? So far that MSD seems to be happy the way it is.

Like this in the picture, except not grounded to the chassis... The rest of the stuff like fans, water pump, fuel pumps, lumped in with the car stuff like lights. BTW, this is kinda how the car is wired now and the box sticking into the space a passenger's legs would normally go is a hassle.

I have all that between the seat but I think that could go under the glove box with a hing to swing down access.

GOTBOOST!New improved with Victor heads.
http://www.enginelabs.com/mopar-big-bloc...t-of-necessity/
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Clanton] #1722160
01/18/15 05:46 PM
01/18/15 05:46 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Mopar has used twisted wires on the 2 wire buss circuits as long as I remember working with them. They also had a single wire buss which of course you cant twist but some of the buss circuits work on about 2.5 volts at times and since its a comunication circuit between computers in the car it makes sense to do what they can to eliminate any problems. I had problems on one year of Caravans that used the older CCD buss when the eng electric fan wires ran to close to the buss wires and sometimes the van would cut out when the fan kicked on. That was a tricky one to figure out as I remember working with a Chrysler engineer on that Caravan. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 01/18/15 05:48 PM.
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: 383man] #1722161
01/18/15 06:35 PM
01/18/15 06:35 PM
Michigan
K
Kiddart Offline
pro stock
Kiddart  Offline
pro stock
K

Michigan
Hi Doug,
I am chasing an ignition issue. I rewired the entire car this last summer. I chose to use a 20 circuit universal harness, way more circuits than I will ever need but I did it for a reason. Since the rewire I will be driving down the street and for no reason the car just stops(Lights Out no power) it has done this just sitting in the garage running. I will cycle the power switch the care restarts and everything is fine until it happens again. its really odd but I can only think its a ground or excess of grounds together or it is in my msd box.

what are your thoughts

Thank you
Kiddart
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Kiddart] #1722162
01/18/15 06:50 PM
01/18/15 06:50 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Hi Doug,
I am chasing an ignition issue. I rewired the entire car this last summer. I chose to use a 20 circuit universal harness, way more circuits than I will ever need but I did it for a reason. Since the rewire I will be driving down the street and for no reason the car just stops(Lights Out no power) it has done this just sitting in the garage running. I will cycle the power switch the care restarts and everything is fine until it happens again. its really odd but I can only think its a ground or excess of grounds together or it is in my msd box.

what are your thoughts

I would check the master shut off... to lose total
power your doing 2 things.. you killed the alt and
the battery.. the master controls both of them..
next time it does it put your multi meter across
the master and see if its open

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Kiddart] #1722163
01/18/15 11:22 PM
01/18/15 11:22 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

Hi Doug,

what are your thoughts

When you say lights out do you mean more than just the engine?
Doug

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: dvw] #1722164
01/19/15 02:22 AM
01/19/15 02:22 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I think I will run an extra ground cable to the front going under fender to ground headlights,fans and horn to. Then have that connect to bussbar under dash too.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: dvw] #1722165
01/19/15 02:24 AM
01/19/15 02:24 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Doug,

what are your thoughts

When you say lights out do you mean more than just the engine?
Doug

Do you still have the factory bulkheads at the firewall?

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: 72Swinger] #1722166
01/19/15 01:26 PM
01/19/15 01:26 PM
Michigan
K
Kiddart Offline
pro stock
Kiddart  Offline
pro stock
K

Michigan
yes Lights out means all power the car sputters to a stop all lights, fans, fuel pump etc. go out. I probly should replace my Shut off switch. I am also going to separate all my grounds as was mentioned above. Lights with Light, Fuel by its self, fan by its self and ignition by itself. I have all winter to figure this out. but already cant wait to drive it ion the spring

Thank you
Kiddart
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Kiddart] #1722167
01/19/15 05:47 PM
01/19/15 05:47 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
You have what is commonlly called a Hi Joint, high restance open, in the low power electrical industry(communications). It is proablly cause by the bad joint heating up, when it gets hot enough it opens up and quits conducting, very hard to find when it works, easy to find when it doesn't work(open circuit) with a Volt Ohm meter, even using a test light can find them when they are not conducting Let us know what you find, BTW I had a Moroso battery cut off switch slowly go bad causing me to melt two of the battery terminals in my old Duster, what a mess Lots of gremlins out there Let us know what you find and do to correct it

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Kiddart] #1722168
01/22/15 05:38 PM
01/22/15 05:38 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

yes Lights out means all power the car sputters to a stop all lights, fans, fuel pump etc. go out. I probly should replace my Shut off switch. I am also going to separate all my grounds as was mentioned above. Lights with Light, Fuel by its self, fan by its self and ignition by itself. I have all winter to figure this out. but already cant wait to drive it ion the spring

I would agree bad main ground connection, power feed connection, or Faulty cutoff switch. A voltage drop test will find it. Connect the voltmeter from the negative battery terminal to the next connection in line (negative to negative). The meter should read very little.2 volts or so. Do the same thing on the positive side (positive battery terminal to the next positive connection inline). If you see a high voltage reading you've found your issue.
Doug

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Kiddart] #1722169
01/22/15 06:04 PM
01/22/15 06:04 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Top left couple wires at the firewall side of bulkhead is a fuseable link wire. I would bet that is your problem.

On a side note I ordered a piece of 1/4" copper flat stock for my heap.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: 72Swinger] #1722170
01/22/15 06:50 PM
01/22/15 06:50 PM
North of Detroit
HemiDart68 Offline
master
HemiDart68  Offline
master

North of Detroit
I have wired a few cars grounding everything to the frame. Yes, everything on the car worked. My newest car I wired it with floating grounds/busbar in the car. Then used ground cables to both heads. I used an alternator and ran a seperate battery cable to the alternator from the battery. Basically went wild with battery cable. Now thta its done I'm a believer. I think this car seems to crank better, charge better, start easier than any i have had in the past. Maybe its my imagination, but I really think it works I'm drinking the kool-aid on no chassis grounds. I know it adds work to ground this way instead of chassis but i think its worth it. I have done wiring work on offshore performance boats and you have to wire this way (no chassis).

In God we trust, all others pay cash. www.lightnens.com (Home of the world's fastest Paint Job)
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9