master
headhunter  Offline
master
H

ky
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A carb i can have running in 5 minutes. EFI depends on how long the migrane headache and violent shaking lasts

5 minutes starting from what? My very first standalone EFI car fired, ran to 12,000rpm and idled within it's first start. Wiring from scratch, tune from scratch in a tube chassis race car.

Migraine? Violent shaking?.....Fear of change sounds pretty alive and well here.

Yes, Im one of the more stupider guys on here

oh no I have that title it seems hard to think I can buy a efi intake and wiring harness and all that's involved with that and a efi fuel pump and lines would be easier or cost less than a carb and intake. but then again I am old and don't do well with computer how well is one of the like fast fuel injection deals that take the place of a carb? versus a factory deal like you all are talking about?

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: headhunter] #1697270
11/16/14 02:40 PM
11/16/14 02:40 PM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
If you can tune a carb, you can tune efi.

Instead of three circuits with a huge range of jet and mixture inputs, you've got a 16x16 fuel table and a 16x16 ignition table.

The idle/primary/secondary circuits are all there, its just numbers on a computer instead of a screwdriver and jets.

And the auto tune helps too, but its not the only thing that is needed.

My Build thread: Let the hemi swap begin!

1968 wanna be pro touring whatchamacallit with some fancy stuff and a new roof skin.
Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: sixpackgut] #1697271
11/16/14 05:31 PM
11/16/14 05:31 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A carb i can have running in 5 minutes. EFI depends on how long the migrane headache and violent shaking lasts

5 minutes starting from what? My very first standalone EFI car fired, ran to 12,000rpm and idled within it's first start. Wiring from scratch, tune from scratch in a tube chassis race car.

Migraine? Violent shaking?.....Fear of change sounds pretty alive and well here.

NO......you're NOT........you like many others just fear change and venturing into something you are not familiar with. You didn't know anything about gen 3 HEMIs either, but you jumped right in there and made it work. EFI would be no different. It's fuel, air and spark.......just like any motor.

Monte

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1697272
11/16/14 11:58 PM
11/16/14 11:58 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

NO......you're NOT........you like many others just fear change and venturing into something you are not familiar with. You didn't know anything about gen 3 HEMIs either, but you jumped right in there and made it work. EFI would be no different. It's fuel, air and spark.......just like any motor.

Monte

My issues are more related to using a computer. Its not that i dont understand and. I'm not as gifted as Goody who can make a wiring harness faster than i can tighten 4 carb stud nuts.

Also, it always comes down to using what you have laying around.

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: sixpackgut] #1697273
11/17/14 12:21 AM
11/17/14 12:21 AM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
I find many other things in the hot rodding world harder than doing efi. It's all what intimidates you.

When something was designed to have something, working around it is simple.

It's adapting a system which was never intended to be there that can make it difficult IMHO.

1968 wanna be pro touring whatchamacallit with some fancy stuff and a new roof skin.
Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: sixpackgut] #1697274
11/17/14 01:47 AM
11/17/14 01:47 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

My issues are more related to using a computer. Its not that i dont understand and. I'm not as gifted as Goody who can make a wiring harness faster than i can tighten 4 carb stud nuts.

Also, it always comes down to using what you have laying around.

You are able to post on this board.........so you know about as much about computers as I do. You do NOT have to be a computer guru to use EFI. And another thing. If you have a DECENT baseline map saved in your computer, you can have your existing tune so fubar'd it is ridiculous and restoring it to the other is just a mouse click away.

Monte

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1697275
11/17/14 03:26 PM
11/17/14 03:26 PM
Kentucky
uncledon Offline
uncledon  Offline

Kentucky
my thoughts...and I hear from both sides of the fence...
the true blue old school "mopar or nocar" guys..cant fathom having a new style hemi in an old mopar.
the new guys, cant fathom why in the world you would take a new hemi, with all the technology and advanced learning and go backwards and put a carb set up on it...and go back to old school..??

im in the middle. im using the new styly hemi and making it look like the old hemi....big valve covers, plugs thru top of valve covers...carb, headers....old school but with newer docile technology engine...
It is not that I fear tuning an efi, been there done that. im good on computers, laptops, tuning, turbo cars, blah blah...
its my choice to go carb'd, plus that's how I bought this set up from a board member here running, driving, carb...done.

its my only way I will have a HEMI lol...can't afford the "real hemi"..

long story short and rant over: either one can be tuned for good HP. either one will look cool. put on it what you want...and are comfortable with and your budget and parts available allows. once mine is done I will drive it state to state with a carb set up...I don't care. plan to do the power tour next year, and possibly drag week.

67 Dodge Coronet 500 (Hemi 5.7 swap)
Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: uncledon] #1697276
11/17/14 04:34 PM
11/17/14 04:34 PM
USA
H
hudsonhornet7x Offline OP
pro stock
hudsonhornet7x  Offline OP
pro stock
H

USA
Quote:

the true blue old school "mopar or nocar" guys..cant fathom having a new style hemi in an old mopar.
the new guys, cant fathom why in the world you would take a new hemi, with all the technology and advanced learning and go backwards and put a carb set up on it...and go back to old school..??

im in the middle. im using the new styly hemi and making it look like the old hemi....big valve covers, plugs thru top of valve covers...carb, headers....old school but with newer docile technology engine...
It is not that I fear tuning an efi, been there done that. im good on computers, laptops, tuning, turbo cars, blah blah...
its my choice to go carb'd, plus that's how I bought this set up from a board member here running, driving, carb...done.

its my only way I will have a HEMI lol...can't afford the "real hemi"..

long story short and rant over: either one can be tuned for good HP. either one will look cool. put on it what you want...and are comfortable with and your budget and parts available allows. once mine is done I will drive it state to state with a carb set up...I don't care. plan to do the power tour next year, and possibly drag week.

I understand what you mean!

Here is a question for all the hemi gurus- sinc this is a vvt motor we are working with, could we use comp's lock kit and be done with it, or is it not that simple?

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #1697277
11/17/14 08:01 PM
11/17/14 08:01 PM
ohio
H
HEMIDARTS Offline
master
HEMIDARTS  Offline
master
H

ohio
I want to put a 3rd gen HEMI in my car.
I was leaning towards putting a carb on it for simplicity and cost factors.
But after reading this, it sounds like EFI is the way to go for me.
Can anyone post the actaul cost of converting a car over to new EFI?
Also what kind of growing pains will someone have who has never had EFI?
My car gets thousands of very very hard street miles each year.
Will there be newer and better EFI anytime soon?

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: uncledon] #1697278
11/17/14 09:07 PM
11/17/14 09:07 PM
Melbourne.....Oz-land
Moparmal Offline
master
Moparmal  Offline
master

Melbourne.....Oz-land
Just an anecdote....a guy named HemiJoe runs a 68 Fish with a worked 5.7 hemi and dual quads.

His best mph was 116 with the Edelbrock dual quad intake....ran 11.5.

He just swapoed to a Hogan intake with slightly bigger carbs - ran 120mph @ 11.1 !!!

This shows just how inferior the off the shelf carb intakes for the Gen3 are.

Both his intakes also required a hood scoop....so imagine how much the low rise single plane carb intakes are hurting overall performance.......

Uncledon - if you're running a Modman there's only one way to do it - dual quadsand if possible a full divider in the plenum.....Ive tried most everything and this gave me the best result.

Its not so much peak hp thats the issue - its poor carb signal which makes track launches a bear.....although I picked up 18 rwhp on the dyno....with the dual quads over a single carb...

Havent tested the divider but it made it sharper.....

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: AlexP] #1697279
11/17/14 09:54 PM
11/17/14 09:54 PM
Portersville, Pa
1badx Offline
mopar
1badx  Offline
mopar

Portersville, Pa
Quote:

Instead of three circuits with a huge range of jet and mixture inputs, you've got a 16x16 fuel table and a 16x16 ignition table.

The idle/primary/secondary circuits are all there, its just numbers on a computer instead of a screwdriver and jets.

It's a little more complicated than that (injector size, injector flow, min PW, cold start, cranking fuel, o2 correction, timing tables etc.)

BUT - I agree with you, if you can tune a carb and distributor, adjust jetting, power valves, accel pump, accel pump cams, squirters, air bleeds, distributor advance springs or MSD digital timing curves you can tune an EFI system.

And as others have said these engine were designed for EFI.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: 1badx] #1697280
11/17/14 10:47 PM
11/17/14 10:47 PM
MN
hemidup Offline
super stock
hemidup  Offline
super stock

MN
Quote:

Quote:

It's a little more complicated than that (injector size, injector flow, min PW, cold start, cranking fuel, o2 correction, timing tables etc.)

BUT - I agree with you, if you can tune a carb and distributor, adjust jetting, power valves, accel pump, accel pump cams, squirters, air bleeds, distributor advance springs or MSD digital timing curves you can tune an EFI system.

And as others have said these engine were designed for EFI.

Have you played with HPTuners for NGC? Been thinking of going this route with my 05.

Jerry Williams.
Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: uncledon] #1697281
11/17/14 10:54 PM
11/17/14 10:54 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Quote:

Well us old guys, its still an issue of cost to change over to a G3 and proven parts for higher horse power applications are tough to come by....They also lack cubic inches. I would much prefer a +450 cube G3 over a 392 G3...so to go were I want to go I need a power adder...more $$$...Where do these fit in against a typical +500 cube BBM? To each their own. I like them all.

And carbs flat out work for the record. I like both carbs and efi, and both done right are not cheap. I am not talking about a pair of eddy carbs either...So taking a big barrel intake off a newer hemi an restofying it to shed all the un needed stuff, so be it. We do that...

Racing is about going fast with only what is needed.

And I will tell you what, I have been reading on those boosted LSX motors Dutwieler (sp) has been building, and the Mopar folks have some learning to do.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/videos-1000-horsepower-supercharged-lsx-build-for-the-street/

Don't look at this one if you hate carbs....
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/big-power-numbers-gms-lsx454r-reliability-focus/

Last edited by Dragula; 11/17/14 11:11 PM.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: Moparmal] #1697282
11/18/14 12:37 AM
11/18/14 12:37 AM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Just an anecdote....a guy named HemiJoe runs a 68 Fish with a worked 5.7 hemi and dual quads.

His best mph was 116 with the Edelbrock dual quad intake....ran 11.5.

He just swapoed to a Hogan intake with slightly bigger carbs - ran 120mph @ 11.1 !!!

This shows just how inferior the off the shelf carb intakes for the Gen3 are.

Both his intakes also required a hood scoop....so imagine how much the low rise single plane carb intakes are hurting overall performance.......

Uncledon - if you're running a Modman there's only one way to do it - dual quadsand if possible a full divider in the plenum.....Ive tried most everything and this gave me the best result.

Its not so much peak hp thats the issue - its poor carb signal which makes track launches a bear.....although I picked up 18 rwhp on the dyno....with the dual quads over a single carb...

Havent tested the divider but it made it sharper.....

So sexy

Last edited by sixpackgut; 11/18/14 03:25 PM.

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: Dragula] #1697283
11/18/14 01:16 AM
11/18/14 01:16 AM
Melbourne.....Oz-land
Moparmal Offline
master
Moparmal  Offline
master

Melbourne.....Oz-land
The port configuration looks very different on those LSX motors...much more 'traditional' interface between the intake and the head......

Of course thats the reason short runners dont work on a Gen 3......asking the AF to make too many turns........

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: Moparmal] #1697284
11/18/14 09:19 AM
11/18/14 09:19 AM
ky
H
headhunter Offline
master
headhunter  Offline
master
H

ky
Ive been looking at intakes for a gen 3. Has anyone looked at using a intake made for a different engine and cnc adapters to put it on a gen3? Theres a couple of chevy I know intakes that match where the runners are on a gen 3 and they are not bad priced can find them for around 150 to 200 have a few friends that are ablento cnc an adapter for it and come in way under what one of the gen3 intakes go for and might be able to use under a stock hood. Or am I looking to far outside of the box

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: HEMIDARTS] #1697285
11/18/14 10:03 AM
11/18/14 10:03 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Direct Injection.

It's out there in OEM applications plenty [ECO-Boost, BMW 335, etc]

But I don't see that making it to the aftermarket within the next few years, eventually, but it's very finicky [very high rail pressures and very precise fueling].

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1697286
11/18/14 03:40 PM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
The Holley Dominator EFI is really interesting.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sys...u/parts/554-114

I wont make a change to my set up to go with it, but it certainly is the most capable EFI system compatible with the modern hemi.

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: HEMIDARTS] #1697287
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

New and better?............in what way? Some of the current EFI systems you can buy are VERY advanced, can do WAY more than most people know how to do, are rock solid reliable and can also be very EASY to use. Now if you are talking about VVT, there is a couple of boxes that work with it now and I know we/Holley are working on it as well.

Monte

Re: Gen III Hemi- Carb or EFI? Which one is better? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1697288
11/18/14 03:56 PM
11/18/14 03:56 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
The main problem I had when I was an EFI-noob was I really had no idea when good enough was good enough.

Getting the tune close enough to run decently and safely took a lot of time. And even then I was constantly questioning (and tinkering) whether it was ok or if it needed to be tweaked to be better.

Going to a carb on the next build was almost a relief because that is what I was comfortable with. It was easier to just say it was "good enough" and focus on other things instead of obsessing over how much to increase the cold start enrichment or whatever.

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5