Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: DPelletier] #1630646
06/09/14 04:46 PM
06/09/14 04:46 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

O.E. meaning the ultra high end, date code and paint drip restos? I like them and appreciate them but couldn't justify date coded NOS shocks and exhaust for my car...especially since I built it to run.

I call those:

A great car for someone else to own!

You buy/restore it...and I'll come over and look at it.

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: autoxcuda] #1630647
06/09/14 07:39 PM
06/09/14 07:39 PM
Rust Belt, SW PA
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here
Silver70  Offline
I Live Here

Rust Belt, SW PA
I wouldn't want to see them all the same. Meaning not every car OE, modified, day 2, etc... but I like to see many different styles. Even when I build cars, I do them just about any way. I even appreciate a car that's in primer

68 Road Runner, 69 Belvedere, 71 Challenger Vert
340 barracuda, 01 Ram CTD, 95 Ram, 04 Ram, 85 Daytona turbo Z
66 GTO, 06 Magnum RT AWD. 07 Ram CTD, 07 Ram
Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: autoxcuda] #1630648
06/09/14 07:41 PM
06/09/14 07:41 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I think the only people who care about restored cars are 1) those who restored it 2) those working on a resto and 3) someone who owned one in their youth and 4) very few other people.

Frankly, if you've seen one you've seen them all. I'd rather look at a cheap home-built hotrod than a million-dollar resto any day. Creativity is what interests me, not someone's ability to recreate the past.

And let's be honest, virtually every restoration is done the way the factory "should" have done it - in other words, perfect paint and bodywork, when in fact they were far from perfect when they rolled off the assembly line.

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: Stanton] #1630649
06/09/14 10:10 PM
06/09/14 10:10 PM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Quote:

4) very few other people.

Frankly, if you've seen one you've seen them all.

I'd counter that...

I saw enough rags when we were young, and most of us couldn't afford anything pristine...

And I'd also counter that no two OEM jobs are 'the same'...

Just like at the factory, no two are alike...

Different nuances, different techniques, different interpretations...

Let's face it, the clock ticks...

Each one of these cars that gets returned to OEM is one more that history will remember...

Just like they rolled off the line...

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: RSNOMO] #1630650
06/09/14 11:10 PM
06/09/14 11:10 PM
IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline
master
ademon  Offline
master
A

IL, Aurora
To answer the op question" does anyone really care if a car is OE restored" I would say next to nobody really cares! Maybe the owner of the car and the other handful of guys being judged. If one wants to do the OE thing go for it, but don't knock the primered gremlin with the blown big block sticking out the hood parked next to you with the crowd around it!! LOL

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: RSNOMO] #1630651
06/09/14 11:27 PM
06/09/14 11:27 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

And I'd also counter that no two OEM jobs are 'the same'...

Just like at the factory, no two are alike...

So what !!! And since no two are alike, how do you know what's right and what's wrong. Personally, I don't care. You either have a nice car or you don't. A 100% correct 67 Chrysler Newport just doesn't excite me. A tubbed out, blown Newport ... yeah, I'll look that over !!!

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: ademon] #1630652
06/10/14 01:08 AM
06/10/14 01:08 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

To answer the op question" does anyone really care if a car is OE restored" I would say Maybe the owner of the car and the other handful of guys being judged.

This quote is what it basically boils down to, different strokes for different folks, we all have our own passions, while I can appreciate the effort,time and money that goes into an OEM build, I can also appreciate the same amount of effort, energy, money it takes to build a custom... to me OEM builds while nice, just lack the persona that a custom/modified/day 2 vehicle envokes, an OEM resto to me is like a blank canvass, waiting for the painter's first brush stroke

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: 62maxwgn] #1630653
06/10/14 02:22 AM
06/10/14 02:22 AM
Detroit
Kidsixpack Offline
master
Kidsixpack  Offline
master

Detroit
Close is good enough. I did my car the way the factory would have don it if they took two years to build it. I really didn't want to compete with guys that paid someone else 100K to do a perfect resto. I like OE but I see absolutely no point if the car is going to be driven. I purposely over restored my car and drive the snot out of it. The one deviation from stock is a base coat clear coat belly and I powdercoated everything that isn't orange. Holding up pretty darn good too.
'KID

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: Stanton] #1630654
06/10/14 02:23 AM
06/10/14 02:23 AM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Quote:

So what !!! And since no two are alike, how do you know what's right and what's wrong. Personally, I don't care.

Research, and surgical attention to detail, that's what...

And the creme de la creme will rise to the top of the mountain...

As in $$$...

There ain't no shortage of chopped cars...

I've seen enough to last me a lifetime...

Hendrick stole two S&M floppers...

A column auto, ugly Hemi 'bird brought a half a mil...

To get back to the original question, yes, it would appear someone out there 'cares'...

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: RSNOMO] #1630655
06/10/14 11:22 AM
06/10/14 11:22 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Do you think Hendrick really "cares" or was just looking to dump some cash !!!!

I suppose if I were a multifrickinmillionaire I'd own some nice OE restored cars to - just for the hell of it.

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: RSNOMO] #1630656
06/10/14 12:26 PM
06/10/14 12:26 PM
West Central Wisconsin
D
DeMopuar Offline
enthusiast
DeMopuar  Offline
enthusiast
D

West Central Wisconsin
Quote:

Quote:

Hendrick stole two S&M floppers...

A column auto, ugly Hemi 'bird brought a half a mil...

To get back to the original question, yes, it would appear someone out there 'cares'...

I do know that Hendrick did not steal anything for that $1 million price for the floppers he bought at Barrett Jackson this past January. This is what he bought, and you tell me if this was a good deal. Neither of the "floppers" ever raced. One of them was a new reproduction from the past few years with no parts from the original race cars, and the other was one of the three original race cars. But the one on offer was the one that was only for static display -- it was from period but it never raced. It was sent to dealerships for promotional reasons only. The only pieces that were absolutely genuine were the transporters. These were the actual pieces from that time (well, the static display flopper was real from the time as well, but how interesting is a race car with no race car experience?). So Hendrick, which is a race car nut, bought two cars that never raced, one is a total repop; but the transporters are the ones that did the original work of moving from spot to spot. I think he paid enough for some transporters with great history, but that's about it. No one else with money wanted this lot of four pieces because two of them were not very good, if you're talking about old race car stuff.

All I'm saying is, make sure you know what you're talking about when you say that someone got a good or bad deal. Without this little tid bit of knowledge above, yes, it sounds like a landfall. I guarantee if The Snake and The Mongoose flopper race cars were offered were real, we would be at multiple of what the $1 million price was -- but it wasn't and the resulting $1 million price reflects what they were.

I guarantee that the two guys that were bidding on the ugly hemi bird knew what they were bidding on -- it always takes two to tango. I did not see the car sell, but that's why these auctions are so interesting. Yes, you wonder why things go for that kind of money, and when you go and look at it either before or after the sale, it does make more sense. I did look at all of the e body convertibles at Barrett and let me tell you, if you think any of the buyers got good deals you would be very mistaken. Every e body convertible out there was a rusty car from the midwest. They all looked good if you were standing vertical, but once you looked underneath each and every e body convertible, oh my goodness, the rustiness that was not repaired, or repaired poorly was astounding. I would not have bid on one of the e body converts at Barrett -- and yes, I did get on my belly and look at every one. It seems in January 2014 if you wanted a poorly restored rust bucket e body convertible, Barrett was the place to buy one.

Mark

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: Stanton] #1630657
06/10/14 01:11 PM
06/10/14 01:11 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

Frankly, if you've seen one you've seen them all. I'd rather look at a cheap home-built hotrod than a million-dollar resto any day.

Funny, that's exactly how I feel about cheap home-built hotrods...which outnumber correctly restored cars around here by about 100:1

Frankly, most people's "creativity" I can do without.

To each their own...

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: DPelletier] #1630658
06/10/14 01:34 PM
06/10/14 01:34 PM
Sec.414,seat 12,White Sox Park
swapman Offline
top fuel
swapman  Offline
top fuel

Sec.414,seat 12,White Sox Park
I like the "CLOSE BUT No CIGAR" cars.

I can appreciate all the effort and big $'s that are required of a OE.

Trouble is only guys with more money than brains will ever use them.
It is economically unfeasible to have fun with one, unless you judge fun by how many times you put up your tent and unfold your chair.

Make mined a non number matched figment of someone's imagination.

I even like Brand X an God forbid Mustangs.

Build'em, run'em, wreck'em, REBUILD 'em.

Just have fun with what ya brung.

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: swapman] #1630659
06/10/14 04:31 PM
06/10/14 04:31 PM
Parsippany, New Jersey
340challconvert Offline
340challconvert  Offline

Parsippany, New Jersey
I have owned my A66 Challenger 340 convertible since 1980 and used it as a daily driver until about 1985. I then put the car away, always garaged and purchased many NOS parts back in the 80's when you could still get them for a reasonable price. I don't want to wait so long to enjoy the car and I am finally at a point (retirement) where I will have time to work on the old girl. I really do not want to do a 50,000 restoration on a car that I will be afraid to use. I am not into formal judging contests with every hose, nut and bolt being checked for color or markings! (If that is your thing; great, enjoy it) I am leaning toward working on it while using the car periodically, repairing what it needs to bring it back on the road and enjoy the car in mostly OE form.
I watched two A-66 covertible challengers recently sell (2014) one through Mecum, the other through a dealer. Both cars sold north of 50,000. The dealer sold car went to Europe. Our mopars in many cases have been priced so high, that everyday enthusiasts can't afford the nicer cars. We got priced out of our own market with "investors" buying up the more rare cars, spending a ton of money to restore, bidding on their own cars to raise auction prices, then trying to flip the car for a profit. It's the car version of the "housing bubble".
Everyone can do what they like with their own car, but what good is it if you have to be afraid to use and enjoy it.
I plan to use my available NOS parts, buy aftermarket parts if needed and enjoy the car.
A bright spot with all of this: so many people have put cars away, waiting for the day to "restore" the car but never get around to it. Cars are now coming into the market from the "old timers" who waited too long to follow their dream, and are making some cars available at a "reasonable" price. It is the reason why some of the cars are now selling at reasonable prices.
Sorry to be so long winded on this; Unless you are really into the show circuit, build your car the way you like it, at a reasonable cost and enjoy it! I am looking for mostly OE with reasonable exceptions as needed!

340challconvert

8171793-Dinopic15.JPG (126 downloads)

1970 A-66 340 Challenger convertible
Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: 340challconvert] #1630660
06/10/14 04:53 PM
06/10/14 04:53 PM
Philadelphia PA
Pynzo Offline
Drugs are bad
Pynzo  Offline
Drugs are bad

Philadelphia PA
I'm with you 100%.

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: Pynzo] #1630661
06/10/14 08:01 PM
06/10/14 08:01 PM
West Central Wisconsin
D
DeMopuar Offline
enthusiast
DeMopuar  Offline
enthusiast
D

West Central Wisconsin
I totally agree with the two guys above me too.

OEM done cars are nice for me to look at, but I really don't have the cash or the desire to own one. I appreciate what guys that do these go through, but for me; I like to drive my cars. I would not feel right driving an OEM car, me owning it or someone else's. I did an OEM Jaguar back in the day, and I told myself if I have to put a car in a trailer, then I don't want it. After that car I figured out that for me, I want to drive my cars, not trailer and look at them -- but that's just me.

It all depends what a guy wants to do with their cars. If you like showing them and not driving them to keep them clean -- O.K., to each his own. I also fully understand the guy that likes to drive his ride.

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: DeMopuar] #1630662
06/10/14 10:15 PM
06/10/14 10:15 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Call me silly but when I first drive my car I want it to look just like it did leaving the dealership in 69. Then it's going to get dirty by my driving it. So all the primer and coatings underneath are going to get grit and grime on them. Somehow I just think this is the way it is supposed to be, I couldn't buy a new 70 Challenger but I'm going to live the experience 44 years later.
Like I say it's a personal thing, other people want other experiences from their cars and that's just fine.

Sheldon

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: DeMopuar] #1630663
06/10/14 11:15 PM
06/10/14 11:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is pretty much how we did our cars as I am in the process of restoring my Dad's GTX vert right now. We plan on driving it and yes it will get dirty but it will be as good as it was brand new. So I have to clean and detail it every now and then. For me, the cleaning and the hands on time with these cars are relaxing for me and I find it priceless to be working on car that has stood the test of time and has body lines unlike any car of today.

And yes, I do my own work on my days off from my regular job. http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?67715-Bringing-it-back-to-factory-specs

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1630664
06/11/14 02:01 AM
06/11/14 02:01 AM
Detroit
Kidsixpack Offline
master
Kidsixpack  Offline
master

Detroit
I remember in 1986 the first car (70 six pack bee) that I saw that was being put back to stock. The owner removed the headers, mags etc and was putting the original emission decals and little parts back to stock. At the time I thought this was the coolest idea I'd ever heard. I've been a purest ever since.
KID

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? [Re: Kidsixpack] #1630665
06/11/14 12:07 PM
06/11/14 12:07 PM
SE Pa.
L
LimeliteAero Offline
master
LimeliteAero  Offline
master
L

SE Pa.
340challconvert,
Why not sell off some-most-all of those NOS parts and fund the restoration?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5