Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: dannysbee] #1578561
02/15/14 08:15 PM
02/15/14 08:15 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Do you guys know how many tracks have been sued by Family members after a driver dies at the track by being stupid and running a non-legal race car. Nobody wants to be responsible for their own actions and we all pay the price. Tracks pass on insurance costs, lower attendance, then the track closes. Pretty sure one of our Mopar racers Family has a lawsuit going on right now.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: pittsburghracer] #1578562
02/15/14 08:20 PM
02/15/14 08:20 PM
North, Alabama
D-50 Offline
pro stock
D-50  Offline
pro stock

North, Alabama
The problem down here is if they start making all the cars be legal at these tracks they would not have 5 or 10 cars be able to race. Then they would have to close down anyway. I do not know any car that would be NHRA or IHRA legal.

1.33 60 ft,6.21 at 110.59 in the 1/8, pump gas small block,2950lbs,drag radials,mufflers and driven to track ...
Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: D-50] #1578563
02/15/14 08:35 PM
02/15/14 08:35 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

The problem down here is if they start making all the cars be legal at these tracks they would not have 5 or 10 cars be able to race. Then they would have to close down anyway. I do not know any car that would be NHRA or IHRA legal.

That a shame. I'm sure glad its different in my area.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: pittsburghracer] #1578564
02/15/14 09:32 PM
02/15/14 09:32 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
I have been racing for over 25 years and have seen plenty of crashes in cars that were legal. My NHRA home track is pretty tough when it comes to tech and cars are watched if the car goes quicker than its legal for they are spoken to and are banned from racing that day if they don`t comply/ slow the car down. It becomes a whole legal thing for the track, here in N.J. tracks are regulated by the State Police and they cruise thru the pits on occasion and are called if there is a serious crash , if there is a crash the car is impounded for inspection. Tracks are having a tough enough time surviving they have to protect themselves from liability as their insurance costs are astronomical. I`ll admit that some of the NHRAs rules are nuts and geared toward business for its sponsors but for the most part are for the drivers protection. One time I was at Pittsburgh ( an IHRA track) for a Mopar race and once the inspector saw my NHRA extended tech sticker he said " I know you`re good to go"

Last edited by 11secdart; 02/16/14 12:20 AM.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: D-50] #1578565
02/15/14 09:46 PM
02/15/14 09:46 PM
Alabama
Mopar-Al Offline
master
Mopar-Al  Offline
master

Alabama
Quote:

My car is NHRA legal I do need to get it certified. It will tech

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: Mopar-Al] #1578566
02/15/14 10:11 PM
02/15/14 10:11 PM
NW INDIANA
T
ta3834bbl Offline
ta3834bbl  Offline
T

NW INDIANA
I think some of us have slow cars, mostly street cars, that we keep tinkering and upgrading. I don't want to cut up my cuda if I don't have too if I'm only running mid 12's. I don't want to spend the cash either. Now I've upgraded the engine a bit and wonder how fast it is. If I have to put a bar in it, I will. But I won't know until I make a few passes. I'll be happy if it requires one, but disappointed if I have to cage it because it is a play toy for me until I give it to my daughter with a different engine in it.

67 Dart GT Convertible 273
68 Barracuda 383
68 Roadrunner 383 4spd
1 '01 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
2 '02 Rams 1500 4x4's 4.7s
3 '03 Rams 2 1500's 4x4 and 1 2500 hemi 4x4
Oh, and a 03 Grand Cherokee and an '00 durango smile
Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: ta3834bbl] #1578567
02/15/14 11:42 PM
02/15/14 11:42 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I am one of the street car guys but as far as I know I am legal. And I can still keep my car close to stock looking. The only thing that you can really notice is the rollbar but as I have said before if some of you put the 6 and 8 point bars in they can always be taken out later if you want to go back to stock. All you would have to do is cut the bars off at the floor and grind them even. Then the carpet will cover anything else. I dont ever plan to take my 6 point bar out as its legal down to 10 flat and I dont need to go any faster then that in my car for as much as I street drive it. I also have a battery cutout since my battery is in the trunk and the rod goes thru the taillite lens. So all I would have to do is replace the taillite lens to be back to stock. To me one of the pains is the seat belts that have to be replaced every 2 years as I think they could stretch that a few more years. But I agree the cars need to be safe. Many tracks will let you run the day you are there if you are not legal but tell you to fix it before you come back if its not something real big. Ron

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: ta3834bbl] #1578568
02/15/14 11:57 PM
02/15/14 11:57 PM
Janesville, WI
SpareParts Offline
pro stock
SpareParts  Offline
pro stock

Janesville, WI
Quote:

I think some of us have slow cars, mostly street cars, that we keep tinkering and upgrading. I don't want to cut up my cuda if I don't have too if I'm only running mid 12's. I don't want to spend the cash either. Now I've upgraded the engine a bit and wonder how fast it is. If I have to put a bar in it, I will. But I won't know until I make a few passes. I'll be happy if it requires one, but disappointed if I have to cage it because it is a play toy for me until I give it to my daughter with a different engine in it.

Don't cage it unless they absolutely stop you from running it. If you plan on giving it to your daughter with a less potent combo and she's driving around in a caged car it can be ugly if she was in a traffic accident.
I kind of feel bars are scary in street cars, what if you are T boned and get a broken door bar jammed through your gut? Or bounce your bare melon off the main hoop? Not good

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: SpareParts] #1578569
02/16/14 12:06 AM
02/16/14 12:06 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Don't cage it unless they absolutely stop you from running it. If you plan on giving it to your daughter with a less potent combo and she's driving around in a caged car it can be ugly if she was in a traffic accident.
I kind of feel bars are scary in street cars, what if you are T boned and get a broken door bar jammed through your gut? Or bounce your bare melon off the main hoop? Not good

I'll take a T-bone in my Rampage... if your bar breaks
off it was JUNK... all the bars are padded any place
that myself or the passenger could even think of hitting

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: SpareParts] #1578570
02/16/14 01:50 AM
02/16/14 01:50 AM
Mohnton, Pa
DodgeCharger Offline
master
DodgeCharger  Offline
master

Mohnton, Pa
Quote:

Quote:

A car is much safer on the street with a cage or a bar. I don't know where this wives tale came from. Put padding on the bars.
Door bars don't break. If it did the other driver would have drove completely through your car without it.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1578571
02/16/14 01:54 AM
02/16/14 01:54 AM
Vista, California
67Satty Offline
pro stock
67Satty  Offline
pro stock

Vista, California
But the question is, is the padding sufficient to take a hit from a head not wearing a helmet? I could be wrong but my guess is the answer is no. I would think just about anything else your bare head could hit in a car would have more give than a welded in roll bar/cage.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: 67Satty] #1578572
02/16/14 02:00 AM
02/16/14 02:00 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

But the question is, is the padding sufficient to take a hit from a head not wearing a helmet? I could be wrong but my guess is the answer is no. I would think just about anything else your bare head could hit in a car would have more give than a welded in roll bar/cage.

Believe me...if you hit that padding hard enough to
really hurt yourself you would do the same thing in
a regular car... I did TONS of impact studies at Chrysler
to get a GOOD idea what it takes to be hurt.... I'll
take my chances with the padding and no helmet...
I'd rather have the bars to protect me

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: BradH] #1578573
02/16/14 03:51 AM
02/16/14 03:51 AM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
Street tires and weight (and altitude) are keeping my cars right at the limit. The 71 Charger is running mid 11's @ 120 MPH, but it weights 4150 pounds, and has poor 60' times. The '69 Coronet Convertible (not sure what it weighs), but is running BFG Radial T/As 255x60x15, and they spin through first and second gear, so I just above 14's @ 105 MPH. This is at Bandimere, so at lower altitude I would see how bad the tire spin is?

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1578574
02/16/14 04:58 AM
02/16/14 04:58 AM
Janesville, WI
SpareParts Offline
pro stock
SpareParts  Offline
pro stock

Janesville, WI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was kinda thinking out loud. What kind of force do you think it would require to turn a door bar into a spear? I thought I remember a fatal accident with a caged dart and the driver was skewered

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: SpareParts] #1578575
02/16/14 05:24 AM
02/16/14 05:24 AM
Deerfield, Ohio
70dusterjohn Offline
top fuel
70dusterjohn  Offline
top fuel

Deerfield, Ohio
Are you sure your not thinking of the Dart at Thompson where the railing went through the door ?

My challenger had a cage in it, cause as a teenager I though it made my car fast , but I got T boned by a drunk driver at 65 and my door bar held up fine ! I mean it got bent a little but the cops told me it most likely saved my life ! It was hit in dr door and then some how I ended up on the roof ? Both myself and my wife walked away with minor injuries !

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: SpareParts] #1578576
02/16/14 09:34 AM
02/16/14 09:34 AM
Mohnton, Pa
DodgeCharger Offline
master
DodgeCharger  Offline
master

Mohnton, Pa
The force required would depend on a lot of things. Also whether or not it is a swing out or solid bar.
But keep in mind unless the car is pinned against a barrier the rigid bar will cause the car to be pushed to absorb some of the impact rather than the impacting car driving through you sitting in the driver seat.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: SpareParts] #1578577
02/16/14 09:51 AM
02/16/14 09:51 AM
In the tower
RonTheAnnouncer Offline
master
RonTheAnnouncer  Offline
master

In the tower
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was kinda thinking out loud. What kind of force do you think it would require to turn a door bar into a spear? I thought I remember a fatal accident with a caged dart and the driver was skewered

The fatal with the Dart involved the old school guardrail at the track peeling off and coming through the car.

Ron H.
"Just when you think you have all of the answers...I change the questions!" "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: OUTLAWD] #1578578
02/16/14 10:00 AM
02/16/14 10:00 AM
In the tower
RonTheAnnouncer Offline
master
RonTheAnnouncer  Offline
master

In the tower
Quote:

Quote:

I unfortantly was at Norwalk on Weds night when a bike and car were making a pass at the same time. The bike crashed and was run over by the car. They landed life flight on the track......

Always makes me uneasy when tracks let bikes run with cars...

Atco never allowed it, so I was surprised when I was at Bandi and they waved me up to line up with a car....I told them I'd wait...too much can go wrong

I was there that night. Guy on a low 12 second street bike racing a Buick GN running 10s. Guy on the bike hit the brakes way too hard at the stripe, got thrown off and into the other lane, and the Buick ran over his legs at 120 mph. Obviously damaged the guys legs pretty badly, he was laid up for a long time.
Guy on the bike eventually began racing again. Guy with the Buick parked it and quit after that.
Wednesday nights at Norwalk there is a seperate bike class, but bikes can run with cars if they choose to do so in several of the other classes. You also get guys running quads occasionally with race cars in one class, and bikes/cars mix in the trophy class on Saturdays. Having said all that, I only know of that one incident from maybe 20 years ago...

Ron H.
"Just when you think you have all of the answers...I change the questions!" "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: RonTheAnnouncer] #1578579
02/16/14 11:35 AM
02/16/14 11:35 AM
MD
JACK1440 Offline
mopar
JACK1440  Offline
mopar

MD
Capitol is IHRA as well as MIR. We broke the high 9's last season but are good to 9.0 with IHRA now, Cecil will more then likely tell us to load it up this year (NHRA).

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? [Re: DodgeCharger] #1578580
02/16/14 12:18 PM
02/16/14 12:18 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
"A car is much safer on the street with a cage or a bar. I don't know where this wives tale came from. Put padding on the bars."

1. car is safer, but are the occupants?
2. Calling it a "wife's tale", doesn't make it one
3. Next time some one hits you on the head with an alum baseball bat, tell them to pad it first, and you be fine.
4. cages are installed with the understanding the driver will be tightly secured by a 5+ 3"? wide restraint system, AND have on a Snell approved helmet. The reduction in free movement caused by the space intrusion with a cage, and the fact that rollbars have an approx .875" radius, somewhat if not greatly smaller then almost any other interior surface of a non caged car that the driver can normally contact when belted in, is likely the source of this "wife's tale".
5. There are many circumstances having a proper cage adds safety for the driver in an accident, but striking ones unhelmeted head on a cage has huge negative consequences, padded or not.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5