Moparts

Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for?

Posted By: BradH

Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/13/14 08:51 PM

And has your strategy been to tune it down to stay w/in your legal ET range going all out? Or do you sandbag to leave the extra in reserve "just in case" the need comes up?
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/13/14 09:02 PM

I'm just on the fence about putting a cage in my car and it goes 10.91 at 124.8 so I just put 11.55 on my window.
As long as I run the smaller street tires on it it stays in the mid 11 range but when I put the slicks on she runs too fast for the rules
Gus

Attached picture 8038303-greggspicofmycar.jpg
Posted By: actionange

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/13/14 09:16 PM

I ran this car for 3 years in the 10.70s before being summoned to the tower and told to slow it down or leave. I left and the next season came out with a full roll cage good to 8.50.
It now has been as quick as 10.15 and never gets questioned.

Attached picture 8038323-image.jpg
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/13/14 09:51 PM

Throttle stop.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/13/14 09:54 PM

Quote:

I ran this car for 3 years in the 10.70s before being summoned to the tower and told to slow it down or leave. I left and the next season came out with a full roll cage good to 8.50.
It now has been as quick as 10.15 and never gets questioned.

Just curious but didn't you atleast have a rollbar in it when running 10.70's ? Ron
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/13/14 09:54 PM

Hurricane Sandy bag here. But track legal for what I have.
Four Gear. I'm off the beaten path for a while, but IIRC You just need a roll bar, not a roll cage if you are at 10 oh and up.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/13/14 09:56 PM

When I first ran 10's I forgot I did not have a fire jacket and they caught me on my second pass. Was told not to run anymore without the fire jacket. Ron
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/13/14 10:01 PM

“There are no victims, only volunteers.”
Posted By: hemidup

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/13/14 10:15 PM

I won't cut up my DD truck to put a bar in, but can usually run all out at a private track rental. There's one track I go to that will let me TnT without the bar but won't let me compete and then again another track where I pushed my luck too far and tech won't let me back on the track without a bar even when I told them I'd slow it down. Lessoned learned...Never piss off a tech or the track owner. Plus its real simple for me to do a pulley swap to slow it down on race day.

Attached picture 8038394-mmp08104.jpg
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/13/14 10:30 PM

There was a guy from mt vernon il that had a nice early 70s camaro looked good had some weld wheels on it cowl hood vinal top lift bars on it non tubbed at all not a roll bar in it bout once a year he take it to gateway teck asked him what it would run lol he would reply i have no ideal i just put the motor in
well after it clicked off a 9.89 lol they told him to get off the track and dont come back
thought it ran a 5.80s something 1/8 mile
Posted By: joes68340s

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/13/14 10:50 PM

I have been poundering this question as I have been considering stepping up to a much faster engine and I question whether my car is safe enough. Even though I have a rollbar and subframe connectors and tubs they were installed back in the 70s and the quality is well. I think I will just run it slower till I sort out the car. It runs mid 11s now.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/13/14 11:09 PM

My car is legal to 8.50... but I'm not... I'm good
to 10.0 and I run a lot of 10.0 stuff... mech throttle
stop and low rpm launch and low shift points puts
me dead on 10.00
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 12:03 AM

We have one...Looks like an almost stock '70 Charger...No roll bar, no 5 point harness' just drag radials and 474 Hemi....It has gone 11.13 at 121, well below the 11.50 roll bar rule....We got yelled at and tried one more time for a 10sec time slip, but the drag radials wouln'd hold it and then quickly loaded up and went home...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 12:34 AM

My old Duster would run 9.90s on a bad day at Woodburn, I was told to leave or slow it down.I put a smaller carb. on it to slow it down It was legal to 10.00 The new car is legal to 8.50(I had the chassis recertified two weeks ago) now but I'm not so I throttle stop it to keep it above 10.00, BORING I have gone 9.23 ETat 143.+ MPH in the 1/4 accidently when trying to dial in the throttle stop I'm taking the car to the MATS race and I'm having a good freind and customer who is licensed to run my car all out, maybe it will run 8.80+ at or above 150.00 MPH with him(160.lbs) in the car BTW, that car is for sale also.

Attached picture 8038568-scan0001.jpg
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 12:52 AM

I have no roll bar in my convertible, but I am making it faster this year. Much faster and still no bar. It is fun having a fast street car, but I have a real race car now, so no need to make the convertible track legal.
Posted By: D-50

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 02:13 AM

I run 6.30's in the 1/8 most of the time. I have a 6 point roll bar, seat belts and a helmet. I am not sure if that is legal or not but I have run at 3 different tracks and nobody has said anything yet.

Attached picture 8038670-2013-07-0220.12.28(Small).jpg
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 02:19 AM

Are the rules still like this for the new stuff that runs "illegal" from the factory?

Pretty silly to need a roll bar in a factory Shelby GT500 or Hellcat Challenger, or Viper, Or Vette...etc

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 02:30 AM

Quote:

I run 6.30's in the 1/8 most of the time. I have a 6 point roll bar, seat belts and a helmet. I am not sure if that is legal or not but I have run at 3 different tracks and nobody has said anything yet.

How are your rear bars mounted in the truck?

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 02:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They go below the bed cover...

Attached picture 8038709-2013-07-0220.12.28(Small).jpg

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 02:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice. I could go for a roll bar setup like that. I just didn't want the rear bars going through the back window. No issue's with tech?

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 03:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice. I could go for a roll bar setup like that. I just didn't want the rear bars going through the back window. No issue's with tech?

I have never been through tech so I do not know.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 03:43 AM

I honestly don't know yet, I keep bending or breaking stuff. The last few times I've gone through tech the tech guy keeps asking me if I've run a 9 yet. He keeps telling me it will. Dave
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 04:18 AM

I will sandbag before slowing my car down. I seen someone got thrown out. I almost got thrown out. I have a rollbar and ran a 9.91 @ 141 with my new shocks.
The tech paid me a visit on the next run in the staging lanes. He said slow it down or go home.
I then ran a 9.88 @ 140 mph. I took the car to the trailer. It was a test and tune and my buddies were trying to convince me to give it another try. They said with my mph I could get into the 9.60's at least. I didn't risk it. I don't want to get kicked out. I'll let the heat blow over and sometime next year I'll make some shock setting changes and give it another try. They should change the 9.99 requirements like they did the 11.99 a bunch of years ago. It is a lot safer going 140 mph with a harness and a rollbar then it is going 120 mph with a lap belt.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 04:28 AM

Went 7.97 in my brothers pro-charged valiant ! It only had 8.50 cert ! They came over and asked us to leave ! Got the car updated to 7.50 went out put more boost to it and it went 7.37 ! he ended up getting a new car built ! Still haven't made it to the track yet !
Posted By: loaderpro

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 05:53 AM

Quote:

I'm just on the fence about putting a cage in my car and it goes 10.91 at 124.8 so I just put 11.55 on my window.
As long as I run the smaller street tires on it it stays in the mid 11 range but when I put the slicks on she runs too fast for the rules
Gus ROLL CAGE

Roll cage mandatory in cars running 10.99 (*6.99) or quicker or any
car exceeding 135 mph. In full-bodied cars, with unaltered firewall,
floor, and body (from firewall rearward, wheeltubs permitted),
running between 10.00 (*6.40) and 10.99 (*6.99), roll bar permitted

Posted By: goldmember

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 05:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL WTF is tech??
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 06:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The NHRA cutoff for the 1/8 mile on cars requiring roll bars versus requiring cages is 6.39 and faster for chassis certification and dirvers licensing and more saftey gear, trust me on that
I really should go buy all the reqired safety gear to run faster than 9.99 and get the competion license renewed Maybe someday soon, if this car doesn't sell before summer
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 06:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The NHRA cutoff for the 1/8 mile on cars requiring roll bars versus requiring cages is 6.39 and faster for chassis certification and dirvers licensing and more saftey gear, trust me on that
I really should go buy all the reqired safety gear to run faster than 9.99 and get the competion license renewed Maybe someday soon, if this car doesn't sell before summer

I'm sure in N.Al the tech requirements are not the same.LOL

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 06:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your lucky... if you had to cert it, it wouldnt pass
with no bars going up to the top of the roll bar(to
easy to have it fold over at the mid bar) where your
back bars come in
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 07:40 AM

My Duster has been well under the roll bar number for a long time. I got kicked out once last year I shut it down before half track and still rolled to an 11.002 lol
Another car went 8.9 without a bar or belts or anything.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 07:56 AM

Quote:

Not that Its any of my business, but who in the he11 builds an 8 second car without any safety equipment?! pretty stupid if you ask me. \
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 09:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Not that Its any of my business, but who in the he11 builds an 8 second car without any safety equipment?! pretty stupid if you ask me. \

I would guess a grudge car.

Saw one of the street racers at a TnT at RT 66 once. Camaro with Indiana plates. Told tech the car would only run 11:50's. No jacket, pants, license. First pass he went 7:87. There was no second pass.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 11:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Saw one of the street racers at a TnT at RT 66 once. Camaro with Indiana plates. Told tech the car would only run 11:50's. No jacket, pants, license. First pass he went 7:87. There was no second pass.

Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 11:47 AM

I'm only allowed to go 10 oh's,,,,,,,,,,'till I get a comp licence

Attached picture 8039155-998060_10201617094408642_433853927_n.jpg
Posted By: racerx

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 11:57 AM

?....Why we build these type of cars that's capable of going under the 10:00/6:39 et and don't get licenses .

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 02:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wore a pair of sweat pants and a hoodie and a helmet. Listened to a CD in the staging lanes lol. It was one of those extremely decieving and fast cars, clocks were never on.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 04:19 PM

Quote:

?....Why we build these type of cars that's capable of going under the 10:00/6:39 et and don't get licenses .

I use to have my license but cant get it renewed anymore
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 04:51 PM

What I don't understand is some of you guys sound PROUD of racing your cars this way.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 05:06 PM

I don't think it's proud, I think we over built the motor not thinking the car would go as fast as it did ! I would rather over build the car for the motor, but it just so happened it was the other way around ! Ops. But when we found out it was to fast we build the car better ! When that didn't work we built a new car ! Although by the time we get the new car done, the motor will be outdated.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 05:18 PM

Quote:

What I don't understand is some of you guys sound PROUD of racing your cars this way.

I have over built all of my cars for the safety and
have played the safety game for years(even if I think
some of its BS)... I was running a full cage when I
was running 10.20s.... my license issue is the only
reason I slowed down to 10.0 and now the car is for sale
Posted By: 451Guy

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 05:44 PM

Our home track is IHRA and my car meets all of the requirements to run the speeds and et that I do. However if I travel to an NHRA track then I am no longer legal. I race mainly Super Street/ Hot Rod so I have a throttle stop. If I am at a NHRA track I set it up to run legal both et and mph. This sport is expensive enough never mind having to have duel memberships and have the car certified every two years in two sanctioning bodies.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 06:40 PM

Quote:

Because we can............. Been in the 9`s a few times and never kicked out or even warned. Can`t wait to see what happens when I go 9.60`s..............
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 06:51 PM

Didn't Jimmy Addison run without even lap belts in the Silver Bullet?

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 06:53 PM

Quote:

Didn't Jimmy Addison run without even lap belts in the Silver Bullet?

I always seen him use a lap belt out on Woodward YEARS
ago
Posted By: jcc

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 06:57 PM

Saw a guy from Hollywood Fla running a SB stroker on the bottle street green A body turning low 9's at Moroso a number of years back. Car Looked fast, after his second run we drifted over to his pit to check it out, and a track official rode up on his vespa and told the owner the car was not to run anymore 9's or else, as the official drove off,the owner smiled and said, "i guess we'll just have to start runnnig 8's" I also suspect he was capable.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 07:19 PM

The Plymouth runs 11.30's, but with smaller carb and 3.55s, it will run 11.50's, makes it nicer on the street as well.

Although I find myself enjoying the grudge type nights more and more. I find the cars are more interesting, and there is minimal tech.

Although seeing cars in the 8's with no roll bar, or guys running 9's without a helmet can be a bit much...haha
Posted By: cudasteve68

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 07:31 PM

I recall spending the night at Norwalk one year on a normal Sat bracket program. Sunday was Buick day. I walked around the lanes & recall a black G.N. with a Blue & White lic. plate with holes drilled in it that looked like it was for a chute mount at one time. All stock inside & out with a 9" or so slick. I am thicking maybe 12.50's........
The driver jumps in with shorts on & no helment, I missed me guess by about 4 seconds as he clicked off a mid 8 sec pass. It was "T"-Top car, when that thing left the line I thought the tops were going to blow out of it. He came back up for a second pass later on and was ment by about 5-6 track personal demanding to just head up the broken car road and back to the pits.........
No question in my mind it was street racer from up North. That is a extrem case by far, but keep in mind when you run stuff like this you are also risking not only your life, but the other lane as well. I unfortantly was at Norwalk on Weds night when a bike and car were making a pass at the same time. The bike crashed and was run over by the car. They landed life flight on the track......
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 08:08 PM

Me.
I have had the visit from the tech guy on the scooter. I need a sticker, net, and license. He let me keep running when he seen I had a multi layer firesuit and plenty of cage. He even said I did a heck of the job on the cage. None of them could tell it had the A- piller bars and knee bar.
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 09:49 PM

Back when I had my Cuda still in primer and with a 440 in it,with the same top end I now have on my 499,and the roll bar rule was 11.99, I would drive it to the track on ET Streets,full length exhaust and ran 11.20's at 119 leaving at 1800. The best pass was 11.27 on the first time out and figured I should be able to tune a couple tenths into it. I told my friends if I could get it to go 10.99 on the motor, I was turning on the bottle and shooting for a 9.99,but on the third outing a local driver of a 12second/full cage having bracket car,ratted me out to Bernie yelling he has no bar, he has no bar,going to fast. So Bernie intercepted me after a 11.21 pass on the way back to the pits,stuck his head in the window and asked wheres the bar, wheres the harness and jacket?,I said I didn't have any of those and he said thats why you're spectating the rest of the night.
I tried to get him to let me make a couple 1/8 mile passes..which would've been on the bottle,, but said no as he just threw a guy out for going 11.80 and didn't think it would be fair. So installed a 6point in it a couple months later.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 10:58 PM

Quote:

Back when I had my Cuda still in primer and with a 440 in it,with the same top end I now have on my 499,and the roll bar rule was 11.99, I would drive it to the track on ET Streets,full length exhaust and ran 11.20's at 119 leaving at 1800. The best pass was 11.27 on the first time out and figured I should be able to tune a couple tenths into it. I told my friends if I could get it to go 10.99 on the motor, I was turning on the bottle and shooting for a 9.99,but on the third outing a local driver of a 12second/full cage having bracket car,ratted me out to Bernie yelling he has no bar, he has no bar,going to fast. So Bernie intercepted me after a 11.21 pass on the way back to the pits,stuck his head in the window and asked wheres the bar, wheres the harness and jacket?,I said I didn't have any of those and he said thats why you're spectating the rest of the night.
I tried to get him to let me make a couple 1/8 mile passes..which would've been on the bottle,, but said no as he just threw a guy out for going 11.80 and didn't think it would be fair. So installed a 6point in it a couple months later.

Sounds strong for a stock stroke 440, tell us more about it.

I'm hoping my car doesn't pass tech, will find out when the weather gets nice how fast it really is. I should be close either way
Posted By: TomsCharger70

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/14/14 11:20 PM

1970 Charger, no bar, best run so far 10.74@125Mph. Engine/Car has more left in it, should be able to get it to run sub 10.5 N/A.
Car is getting a 8.50 CM cage as I am writing this, so car will be legal this season.

/Tom
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/15/14 12:08 AM

The 440 was .055 over,about 10.6 to 1,had a Indy solid flat tappet cam,.601/.608 if I remember right,Indy SR heads ported,flowed 325cfm @.650 lift,2.19/1.88 valves,Indy single plane with a 950HP Holley,2" primary/3.5" collector headers,all MSD ignition,ProTrans 727 with too tight of a converter,only footbraked like 2200,4.56's with a 28x12.50 ET Streets,SS springs,car weighed 3570 with me in it.It would only cut 1.61/1.62 60ft times, had full length with the Cuda tips out the back with Flowmaster Top Ten Shootout 3.5" mufflers with 3" pipe.
I loved that motor,ran 11.27-11.35 for 6 years, and all I ever did was change oil,adjust the valves maybe twice a year and drove it all over our area.

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds strong for a stock stroke 440, tell us more about it.

I'm hoping my car doesn't pass tech, will find out when the weather gets nice how fast it really is. I should be close either way

Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/15/14 12:09 AM

Quote:

I unfortantly was at Norwalk on Weds night when a bike and car were making a pass at the same time. The bike crashed and was run over by the car. They landed life flight on the track......

Always makes me uneasy when tracks let bikes run with cars...

Atco never allowed it, so I was surprised when I was at Bandi and they waved me up to line up with a car....I told them I'd wait...too much can go wrong
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/15/14 12:29 AM

My dart has been as fast as 10.49 at 125 in the 1/4 with no cage or roll bar.But i wear a race jacket, helmet and just the lap belt out of a 5 point harness.I really didn't think the car was going to be that fast that weekend. Its another pump gas stoke stroke 440.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/15/14 01:37 AM

One of our local tracks posted on their facebook page that they would be NHRA sanctioned this Year. Their facebook page blew up with people saying that they would not race there if they started checking the cars.Some body posted and said do not worry about it that nothing was changing on that part.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/15/14 01:45 AM

My son installed the 360 he built 2 years ago and installed it in his street legal Duster and had no idea how fast it would go so he disconnected the back barrels on his 750 carb and wire tied them shut. He took it testing and at the end of the day they gave him permission to make one pass with the four barrel hooked up. It ran a 10.60 on that pass and then quickly wired it closed again and added 300 pounds to the car. It is now legal as he added a roll bar and is happily in the 10.50's
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/15/14 02:05 AM

I have had several sleepers in the past but actually over built my challenger so far with safety in mind with the 7.50 cert c.m. cage. Won't be going that fast at first due to budget.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/15/14 05:02 PM

I brought this up playing "What if...?" w/ the updated engine. Odds are good that it WON'T pick up a full .5 in ET to drop from the previous 10.5s (where it's currently legal to run) into the 9.XXs, but if the Horsepower Gods smile on me (and possible future updates squeak out a little more here and there), I suppose it could happen.
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/15/14 07:31 PM

Went 9.20 in a freinds car a few months back with no cage.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/15/14 11:28 PM

The guy that does my porting work had a 65 plymouth ht that would run 5.80 5.90's without a trace of a bar in the car. After he would make a pass sometimes you would have to help him get the drivers door open. He did have a helmet and jacket. Another car around here was a 67-68 mustang coupe with a stick and Cleveland small block, no roll bar. He went to the fun ford event here and ran a low 9. They escorted him off the property. Both of these cars were run around here 15 years ago. The mustang was a street racer that was driven to the event probably 30 miles. The plymouth was raced mostly on Friday nights at a local track grudge racing. Both had nos. not sure what the mustang had but the plymouth had two plates. He launched the car with one plate and hit the second plate down track. Pretty sure all the tracks are stricter these days.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 12:15 AM

Do you guys know how many tracks have been sued by Family members after a driver dies at the track by being stupid and running a non-legal race car. Nobody wants to be responsible for their own actions and we all pay the price. Tracks pass on insurance costs, lower attendance, then the track closes. Pretty sure one of our Mopar racers Family has a lawsuit going on right now.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 12:20 AM

The problem down here is if they start making all the cars be legal at these tracks they would not have 5 or 10 cars be able to race. Then they would have to close down anyway. I do not know any car that would be NHRA or IHRA legal.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 12:35 AM

Quote:

The problem down here is if they start making all the cars be legal at these tracks they would not have 5 or 10 cars be able to race. Then they would have to close down anyway. I do not know any car that would be NHRA or IHRA legal.

That a shame. I'm sure glad its different in my area.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 01:32 AM

I have been racing for over 25 years and have seen plenty of crashes in cars that were legal. My NHRA home track is pretty tough when it comes to tech and cars are watched if the car goes quicker than its legal for they are spoken to and are banned from racing that day if they don`t comply/ slow the car down. It becomes a whole legal thing for the track, here in N.J. tracks are regulated by the State Police and they cruise thru the pits on occasion and are called if there is a serious crash , if there is a crash the car is impounded for inspection. Tracks are having a tough enough time surviving they have to protect themselves from liability as their insurance costs are astronomical. I`ll admit that some of the NHRAs rules are nuts and geared toward business for its sponsors but for the most part are for the drivers protection. One time I was at Pittsburgh ( an IHRA track) for a Mopar race and once the inspector saw my NHRA extended tech sticker he said " I know you`re good to go"
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 01:46 AM

Quote:

My car is NHRA legal I do need to get it certified. It will tech
Posted By: ta3834bbl

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 02:11 AM

I think some of us have slow cars, mostly street cars, that we keep tinkering and upgrading. I don't want to cut up my cuda if I don't have too if I'm only running mid 12's. I don't want to spend the cash either. Now I've upgraded the engine a bit and wonder how fast it is. If I have to put a bar in it, I will. But I won't know until I make a few passes. I'll be happy if it requires one, but disappointed if I have to cage it because it is a play toy for me until I give it to my daughter with a different engine in it.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 03:42 AM

I am one of the street car guys but as far as I know I am legal. And I can still keep my car close to stock looking. The only thing that you can really notice is the rollbar but as I have said before if some of you put the 6 and 8 point bars in they can always be taken out later if you want to go back to stock. All you would have to do is cut the bars off at the floor and grind them even. Then the carpet will cover anything else. I dont ever plan to take my 6 point bar out as its legal down to 10 flat and I dont need to go any faster then that in my car for as much as I street drive it. I also have a battery cutout since my battery is in the trunk and the rod goes thru the taillite lens. So all I would have to do is replace the taillite lens to be back to stock. To me one of the pains is the seat belts that have to be replaced every 2 years as I think they could stretch that a few more years. But I agree the cars need to be safe. Many tracks will let you run the day you are there if you are not legal but tell you to fix it before you come back if its not something real big. Ron

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 03:57 AM

Quote:

I think some of us have slow cars, mostly street cars, that we keep tinkering and upgrading. I don't want to cut up my cuda if I don't have too if I'm only running mid 12's. I don't want to spend the cash either. Now I've upgraded the engine a bit and wonder how fast it is. If I have to put a bar in it, I will. But I won't know until I make a few passes. I'll be happy if it requires one, but disappointed if I have to cage it because it is a play toy for me until I give it to my daughter with a different engine in it.

Don't cage it unless they absolutely stop you from running it. If you plan on giving it to your daughter with a less potent combo and she's driving around in a caged car it can be ugly if she was in a traffic accident.
I kind of feel bars are scary in street cars, what if you are T boned and get a broken door bar jammed through your gut? Or bounce your bare melon off the main hoop? Not good

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 04:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't cage it unless they absolutely stop you from running it. If you plan on giving it to your daughter with a less potent combo and she's driving around in a caged car it can be ugly if she was in a traffic accident.
I kind of feel bars are scary in street cars, what if you are T boned and get a broken door bar jammed through your gut? Or bounce your bare melon off the main hoop? Not good

I'll take a T-bone in my Rampage... if your bar breaks
off it was JUNK... all the bars are padded any place
that myself or the passenger could even think of hitting

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 05:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A car is much safer on the street with a cage or a bar. I don't know where this wives tale came from. Put padding on the bars.
Door bars don't break. If it did the other driver would have drove completely through your car without it.
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 05:54 AM

But the question is, is the padding sufficient to take a hit from a head not wearing a helmet? I could be wrong but my guess is the answer is no. I would think just about anything else your bare head could hit in a car would have more give than a welded in roll bar/cage.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 06:00 AM

Quote:

But the question is, is the padding sufficient to take a hit from a head not wearing a helmet? I could be wrong but my guess is the answer is no. I would think just about anything else your bare head could hit in a car would have more give than a welded in roll bar/cage.

Believe me...if you hit that padding hard enough to
really hurt yourself you would do the same thing in
a regular car... I did TONS of impact studies at Chrysler
to get a GOOD idea what it takes to be hurt.... I'll
take my chances with the padding and no helmet...
I'd rather have the bars to protect me
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 07:51 AM

Street tires and weight (and altitude) are keeping my cars right at the limit. The 71 Charger is running mid 11's @ 120 MPH, but it weights 4150 pounds, and has poor 60' times. The '69 Coronet Convertible (not sure what it weighs), but is running BFG Radial T/As 255x60x15, and they spin through first and second gear, so I just above 14's @ 105 MPH. This is at Bandimere, so at lower altitude I would see how bad the tire spin is?

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 08:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was kinda thinking out loud. What kind of force do you think it would require to turn a door bar into a spear? I thought I remember a fatal accident with a caged dart and the driver was skewered

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 09:24 AM

Are you sure your not thinking of the Dart at Thompson where the railing went through the door ?

My challenger had a cage in it, cause as a teenager I though it made my car fast , but I got T boned by a drunk driver at 65 and my door bar held up fine ! I mean it got bent a little but the cops told me it most likely saved my life ! It was hit in dr door and then some how I ended up on the roof ? Both myself and my wife walked away with minor injuries !

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 01:34 PM

The force required would depend on a lot of things. Also whether or not it is a swing out or solid bar.
But keep in mind unless the car is pinned against a barrier the rigid bar will cause the car to be pushed to absorb some of the impact rather than the impacting car driving through you sitting in the driver seat.
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 01:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was kinda thinking out loud. What kind of force do you think it would require to turn a door bar into a spear? I thought I remember a fatal accident with a caged dart and the driver was skewered

The fatal with the Dart involved the old school guardrail at the track peeling off and coming through the car.
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 02:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I unfortantly was at Norwalk on Weds night when a bike and car were making a pass at the same time. The bike crashed and was run over by the car. They landed life flight on the track......

Always makes me uneasy when tracks let bikes run with cars...

Atco never allowed it, so I was surprised when I was at Bandi and they waved me up to line up with a car....I told them I'd wait...too much can go wrong

I was there that night. Guy on a low 12 second street bike racing a Buick GN running 10s. Guy on the bike hit the brakes way too hard at the stripe, got thrown off and into the other lane, and the Buick ran over his legs at 120 mph. Obviously damaged the guys legs pretty badly, he was laid up for a long time.
Guy on the bike eventually began racing again. Guy with the Buick parked it and quit after that.
Wednesday nights at Norwalk there is a seperate bike class, but bikes can run with cars if they choose to do so in several of the other classes. You also get guys running quads occasionally with race cars in one class, and bikes/cars mix in the trophy class on Saturdays. Having said all that, I only know of that one incident from maybe 20 years ago...
Posted By: JACK1440

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 03:35 PM

Capitol is IHRA as well as MIR. We broke the high 9's last season but are good to 9.0 with IHRA now, Cecil will more then likely tell us to load it up this year (NHRA).

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 04:18 PM

"A car is much safer on the street with a cage or a bar. I don't know where this wives tale came from. Put padding on the bars."

1. car is safer, but are the occupants?
2. Calling it a "wife's tale", doesn't make it one
3. Next time some one hits you on the head with an alum baseball bat, tell them to pad it first, and you be fine.
4. cages are installed with the understanding the driver will be tightly secured by a 5+ 3"? wide restraint system, AND have on a Snell approved helmet. The reduction in free movement caused by the space intrusion with a cage, and the fact that rollbars have an approx .875" radius, somewhat if not greatly smaller then almost any other interior surface of a non caged car that the driver can normally contact when belted in, is likely the source of this "wife's tale".
5. There are many circumstances having a proper cage adds safety for the driver in an accident, but striking ones unhelmeted head on a cage has huge negative consequences, padded or not.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 05:37 PM

Check out the difference between roll bar padding (pipe insulating material) and NHRA spec roll bar padding and you will see a BIG difference in safety.
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 05:46 PM

Quote:

"A car is much safer on the street with a cage or a bar. I don't know where this wives tale came from. Put padding on the bars."
5. There are many circumstances having a proper cage adds safety for the driver in an accident, but striking ones unhelmeted head on a cage has huge negative consequences, padded or not.

I lost my good buddy in his 25.5 street car with a funny car cage when a lady T boned him when she went through a red light. The impact of the funny car cage on his noggin' caused brain trauma and his death was the cause of his brain swelling with blood from the impact.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 05:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I lost my good buddy in his 25.5 street car with a funny car cage when a lady T boned him when she went through a red light. The impact of the funny car cage on his noggin' caused brain trauma and his death was the cause of his brain swelling with blood from the impact.

Sorry about your friend .... BUT there are deaths
today with all the safety stuff... there are deaths
at the track with all the bars and pads... you will
NEVER eliminate all of them.... I use the SFI pads
in my car... no I dont need them.. the cheap pads
would have worked... but they are way too soft

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 07:24 PM

Sorry to hear about your buddy. I use the SFI padding also. For the driver and passenger a car should be safer with a cage or bar on the street. I have a 6 point bar. The main hoop is well behind my seat. The side bars are lower than my shoulder at the highest point. When I'm strapped in it would be impossible to hit my head on the bars.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 07:35 PM

Quote:

When I'm strapped in it would be impossible to hit my head on the bars.

Yes the real "padding" vs that water pipe insulation stuff is a huge improvement.

And regarding the above that you did not mention, and I think often overlooked, if your seat moves any amount, your belts loosen, and your body moves, and if a minor accident is 10g's, that is a of force, and the impossible becomes more possible.

And the earlier comment about a sidebar spear, that is not a concern to worry about with a well built cage, as the forces/conditions are too remote to be concerned with in a street car, IMO.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 09:31 PM

I have concerns about street driving my car with the funny car cage, but what can you do? I am not wanting to wear my helmet for street driving!
Oh well, I ride motorcycles too.......

Attached picture 8041771-011.JPG
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/16/14 10:48 PM

Kinda funny story on bars and tech, allmost unbeliveable buy very true. Back when I lived in Wyoming I raced in Salt Lake City all the time, had some good Mopar friends there. One of them had bought a really nice 63 Savoy Max Wedge Clone, it was a street car that had been raced about once a year. The previous owner I guess for looks had installed a PVC rollbar 6 point and had siloconed where the welds would normally be, he had done a very good job of this, it looked just like a good weld, all painted flat black. It was amazing how real it looked. Anyway Brian started racing the car in Salt Lake and got it down to low 12s,we went to Boise Id for the Halloween Clasic and he ran 11.80s, good air, great hooking track.We did that a couple of years and no one in tech ever noticed the roll bar was PVC. Really strange that they didnt since Boise tech is really pretty strict. We went to a few other races up there during the year also and car ran a little to fast. 3rd year at the Halloween Classic and they finally noticed they had been looking a a PVC rollbar for a couple of years, guy caught it leanining into car to check jacket and helmet, Brian had even won one or two races up there, never had been noticed before. Man were they PI$$ed, let him run but we had to unhooked secondarys, add weight ect to get tat thing slowed down. Same car now has a really nice real roll bar, and is campaigned out west in A and B Stock. Anyway, he should have fixed te car ealier, but allways thougt it was funny that tech missed that a few years, oter than that car was about perfect tech and otherwise.

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/17/14 12:09 AM

Tell us it was at least schedule 80?

Funny story
Posted By: Dodgenu

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/17/14 01:59 AM

Dude STFU. You are the biggest liar. You post so much BS noone believes a word you say.
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/17/14 04:56 AM

Here is a pic of the car I'm talking about, pretty well known car around Salt Lake, and in the west, quite a few people know about the PVC rollbar, of course thats been gone for something close to 15 years or so.

Attached picture 8042416-brianscar.jpg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/18/14 04:18 PM

I ran 10.40s for 3 years w/ no rollbar or anything, lol. Ran 11.40s for a long time befroe that w/ nothing done to it. I did cage the car ebfore the hemi went in, so it is legal for the times I run now.
There is basically no tech inspection around here.
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/19/14 12:16 AM

Quote:

Yeah, in that sense N. Al is wide open. Only time I have been talked to was when I took one of the track workers kid for a run down the track after he jumped off my 68 fish. I held it back to a 7.50 and got told no more passengers. Had to do it though as he said the guy who used to own the car told him he could have a ride - then he died.

RIP skippy
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Who has a car that's faster than it's track-legal for? - 02/19/14 12:57 AM

Mine is not legal for the speed that I run....because I don't have collector tethers...
© 2024 Moparts Forums