01/24/14 06:35 PM
01/24/14 06:35 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
I recently bought a pair of the reproduction Challenger script fender emblems (Part# 3445224 with pins). The new emblems (last photo) are only made by AMD right now, although I see OER emblems listed on some vendor's sites, but they are "out-of-stock" everywhere, and have been on "back-order" from the manufacturer for many, many months. My original emblems were definitely showing their age, and I wanted to see if the new emblems would be suitable replacements. The AMD emblems are very nice, but the lettering/script is skinnier than the original lettering. So much so that I didn't want to put them on the car. I decided to try my hand at freshening-up my originals. The chrome lettering is mildly pitted, but not too bad. I stripped whatever black paint was still left; polished the chrome lettering as best as I could, but couldn't get it to look like new chrome; sprayed the entire emblem satin black; then carefully and painstakingly removed the paint from the lettering using a lot of Q-tips and lacquer thinner. They are not nearly as pristine as the new AMD emblems, but they are much, much better than they were. Let me know what you think. If it were you and your car, which would you put on? I think I know what the majority would do, and it's probably the same that I've decided to do. Thanks.

Re: Challenger Script Fender Emblems (Original vs. Repop) [Re: filmsurgeon] #1568086
01/24/14 06:39 PM
01/24/14 06:39 PM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Offline
I Live Here
6bblgt  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
Originals!!

Re: Challenger Script Fender Emblems (Original vs. Repop) [Re: filmsurgeon] #1568087
01/24/14 06:44 PM
01/24/14 06:44 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I'd use your original ones. You did a really good job on them. I did the same thing with my Challenger grill emblem. I had collected three of them over the years. I picked the best one, polished it and reapplied the black paint.

I replaced my adhesive backed Challenger quarter panel emblems with repops. They look just like the original ones if I remember right. The one you show looks awful. You have me curious. I'll have to check mine again. I'm sure the letters aren't that skinny.

Re: Challenger Script Fender Emblems (Original vs. Repop) [Re: 6bblgt] #1568088
01/24/14 06:45 PM
01/24/14 06:45 PM
california
M
Mr D21 Offline
mopar
Mr D21  Offline
mopar
M

california
Does the AMD re-pop have the part number and Chrysler logo on the back ? Can you up-load a pic - thanks

Re: Challenger Script Fender Emblems (Original vs. Repop) [Re: Mr D21] #1568089
01/24/14 07:25 PM
01/24/14 07:25 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

Does the AMD re-pop have the part number and Chrysler logo on the back ? Can you up-load a pic - thanks

Yes it does and even has the Pentastar, which should indicate that it is "Mopar/Chrysler Restoration" approved.

Re: Challenger Script Fender Emblems (Original vs. Repop) [Re: Mr D21] #1568090
01/24/14 07:27 PM
01/24/14 07:27 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
I've always heard the pins break extremely easy. Like it's a forgone conclusion you will break one.

Re: Challenger Script Fender Emblems (Original vs. Repop) [Re: filmsurgeon] #1568091
01/24/14 07:32 PM
01/24/14 07:32 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Yes it does and even has the Pentastar, which should indicate that it is "Mopar/Chrysler Restoration" approved.

That approval deal is worthless. Does not mean you are getting a quality part. Just a way for Mopar to get paid "tribute" and to sell the same parts Year One and others sell.

Re: Challenger Script Fender Emblems (Original vs. Repop) [Re: burdar] #1568092
01/24/14 07:33 PM
01/24/14 07:33 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

I'd use your original ones. You did a really good job on them. I did the same thing with my Challenger grill emblem. I had collected three of them over the years. I picked the best one, polished it and reapplied the black paint.

I replaced my adhesive backed Challenger quarter panel emblems with repops. They look just like the original ones if I remember right. The one you show looks awful. You have me curious. I'll have to check mine again. I'm sure the letters aren't that skinny.

Regarding the photo of the AMD emblem: I did adjust the exposure of the digital photo (making it lighter) in order to better see the chrome lettering and how much skinnier the the font is. In lightening the photo, it did affect the black on the emblem, making it look more grey, rather than true black. The black paint is actually darker on the actual emblem, but the lettering is just as skinny on the emblem as it is in the photo.

Re: Challenger Script Fender Emblems (Original vs. Repop) [Re: autoxcuda] #1568093
01/24/14 07:57 PM
01/24/14 07:57 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Quote:

I've always heard the pins break extremely easy. Like it's a forgone conclusion you will break one.

And that's the trouble with most of the repop emblems...Easy to break or even strip if you do get the retainer on...I remember Y-1s attempt at the repop Gran Coupe trunk lock medalion years back...The casting looked great but was'nt up to the task with a spring winding it back into place...It broke within weeks of install...They took it off the shelf within a short time...

I'd use the factory pieces also it looks great from the pic and alot closer than anyone is going to look when it's outside...

Re: Challenger Script Fender Emblems (Original vs. Repop) [Re: screamindriver] #1568094
01/24/14 10:20 PM
01/24/14 10:20 PM
SE PA.
Q
QuickBpBp Offline
master
QuickBpBp  Offline
master
Q

SE PA.
Quote:

Quote:

And that's the trouble with most of the repop emblems...Easy to break or even strip if you do get the retainer on...I remember Y-1s attempt at the repop Gran Coupe trunk lock medalion years back...The casting looked great but was'nt up to the task with a spring winding it back into place...It broke within weeks of install...They took it off the shelf within a short time...

I'd use the factory pieces also it looks great from the pic and alot closer than anyone is going to look when it's outside...

Too funny I have a brand new Gran coupe emblem in the Year one box that is like that....I got it in a parts lot. The reason the pins break off is they are lead cast emblems. I recently ran into a guy who had a whole board of the repop emblems that was for display for a vendor that sold out. They were left in the trailer over the summer and they were melting off the board!! Especially the larger emblems like GTX,Dart GT and the long emblems for most hoods 440-SIXPACK etc were all droopy.... Pure JUNK.

Re: Challenger Script Fender Emblems (Original vs. Repop) [Re: QuickBpBp] #1568095
01/25/14 01:10 PM
01/25/14 01:10 PM
california
M
Mr D21 Offline
mopar
Mr D21  Offline
mopar
M

california
Actually NOS "challenger" script emblems are very easily found. Typically I see them range $50-$75ea and they are adhesive backed.

Dodge NEVER offered "pinned" versions replacements. Adhesive backed were the only over the counter replacements available. So if correct originality is your goal - then buy a set of NOS emblems and do it right the first time...