01/20/14 06:30 PM
01/20/14 06:30 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline OP
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline OP
super stock

Houston Tx
I've been doing a little at home testing over the last couple days. Figured I'd get some input from those guys who have more experience tracking their cars.

This started when I pulled my tires to rotate them to get ready for next weekends HPDE, and I realized I had excessive wear on my front tires as a result of my outing at Texas World Speedway (Clockwise).

Alignment going in:
6.9* caster both sides, 1.2* camber both sides, .15 toe in.
32 psi cold on all 4 corners

Tires:
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 265/40/18 on all 4 corners

Picture of rears next to fronts:
Right Rear on left, Right Front on right (facing same direction):

Left front on left, left rear on right (facing opposite directions):

Measurements of tires:
LF: inside slats, inside line, 2nd line, 3rd line, outside line, outside slat
LF: .100, .209, .211, .217, .151, .00
LR: .121, .237, .261, .260, .209,.058
RF: .118, .211, .220, .206, .154, .029
RR: .108, .235, .259, .253, .210, .062

Next, I went to do some skidpad work and measure tire temps.

Outer / middle / inner:
Pre- skidpad, after driving 20-30 minutes.
fronts: left 113,120,109
right 103,106,102

5 skidpad turns rt at Horse Track parking lot:
LF:137,138,107 (35 psi 2 min aft, 33 psi before left house)
LR:99,104,103 (33 psi hot, 31 before?)

This morning I added AndyF's camber spacers, which added around 1.2-1.3* of camber to my set-up.

Back out on the skidpad:
5 turns at outlet mall parking lot:
117/115/100 LF 33 psi as tested. Baseline.
110/108/100 LF 30 psi. Tire rolling more than I'd like.
120/117/101 LF 26 psi. Tire rolled past wear arrow.
125/123/105 LF 37 psi, FAST. 3400 rpm vs just over 2000 at 26 psi. Stable, solid feel. More balanced.

I also marked the tires with chalk, though even 37 psi rolled the tires slightly past the tip of the arrow.
37 psi with chalk:

Picture of arrow before chalk (this was the LR tire that is now in the LF position.)

At this point, I'm going to run the car with the additional camber (so ~2.5* total camber now), and up the tire pressures to that Hotchkis used in the Hot Rod tire test article (38/34 cold). I'm also going to flip the rears (which were the fronts), so the heavy wear now sits inside. If the fronts wear the outside edges too fast on saturday, I might flip those as well.

I'm also considering really torquing down the front sway bar end links, to reduce the rubber deflection and reduce body roll.

I'll also measure tire temps and wear at the track on saturday and sunday.

Any experienced racers have thoughts on what caused my abnormal tire wear? A combination of too low pressure and not enough negative camber? Or?

And the skidpad test - the numbers make sense, but I thought the test was telling me to drop tire pressure, given the temps were not linear. Obviously not the case. Further, I expected my adjustments both to camber and psi to have more of an impact on tire temperatures (granted the increased camber did cut down the gap). I'm not sure more camber is the answer with 'street' tires. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Wade

-'02 Dodge Viper Ex-World Challenge racecar
-'73 Duster, 6.1 based 392 hilborn hemi, tko600, full floater rear 9", Hellwig custom bars, viper brakes, built for road course
Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Uhcoog1] #1566063
01/20/14 06:33 PM
01/20/14 06:33 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline OP
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline OP
super stock

Houston Tx
Best pic for evaluating tire to ground (camber mid-corner):

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Uhcoog1] #1566064
01/20/14 09:09 PM
01/20/14 09:09 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Where I go to play is also like 80% right turns and this is one reason I think a non-directional tire may suit me best,like a Michelin, so I can swap sides in between sessions without worries. Its just a matter of getting every dollar of tire life out of the tire investment IMO. It looks like your wear has gotten out of hand in your case lol! A 3500+lb car is going to eat tires like Wheaties man.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Uhcoog1] #1566065
01/21/14 01:37 AM
01/21/14 01:37 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Great data. To make adjustments increase or decrease PSI to get temp even or the "slant of temp" even. As an example:
if you saw from inside to outside:

110/120/105

You have too much air in the tire.

A decrease in pressure by 2 psi would probably net you:

112/115/110

Further Decrease would get you to:

113/113/112

Which would be about on the money.

Lets say you see...

100/115/130

This would tell you the car is lacking camber and the outside of the tire needs to come in. A couple factors come in to see if you want to make the adjustment using static camber or caster.

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1566066
01/21/14 02:06 AM
01/21/14 02:06 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
uhcoog1,

What are your front and rear spring-rates/spring-size.

What are your front and rear (if applic) sway bar sizes.

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1566067
01/21/14 02:15 AM
01/21/14 02:15 AM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline OP
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline OP
super stock

Houston Tx
Quote:

Great data. To make adjustments increase or decrease PSI to get temp even or the "slant of temp" even. As an example:

110/120/105

112/115/110

113/113/112

Lets say you see...

100/115/130

This would tell you the car is lacking camber and the outside of the tire needs to come in. A couple factors come in to see if you want to make the adjustment using static camber or caster.

Dan-

Thanks for the reply! I'm with you on interpreting the temp data, but the data didn't fall in line as expected with the changes I made. Dropping the pressure didn't align the temperature readings, and hurt the performance.

Adding camber helped, but didn't entirely solve the issue.

I'm thinking I'm losing effective camber in a corner due to body roll. The roll couple is close, but I don't think the front roll bar is coming into play early enough to combat the roll. Thoughts?

Quote:

A couple factors come in to see if you want to make the adjustment using static camber or caster.

I'd love to hear more on this...

-'73 Duster, 6.1 based 392 hilborn hemi, tko600, full floater rear 9", Hellwig custom bars, viper brakes, built for road course
Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Uhcoog1] #1566068
01/21/14 02:18 AM
01/21/14 02:18 AM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
So what is the rim width on those wheels? Tire casing width?

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Uhcoog1] #1566069
01/21/14 02:20 AM
01/21/14 02:20 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Quote:

110/120/105

112/115/110

113/113/112

Lets say you see...

100/115/130

Dan-

Thanks for the reply! I'm with you on interpreting the temp data, but the data didn't fall in line as expected with the changes I made. Dropping the pressure didn't align the temperature readings, and hurt the performance.

Adding camber helped, but didn't entirely solve the issue.

I'm thinking I'm losing effective camber in a corner due to body roll. The roll couple is close, but I don't think the front roll bar is coming into play early enough to combat the roll. Thoughts?

Quote:

A couple factors come in to see if you want to make the adjustment using static camber or caster.

I'd love to hear more on this...

I'm sure you would..there is a reason I get paid a lot of money to help people set up their cars for the track. And my cars are always on the podium

To be honest, I'd have to drive the car. Steve has a great suggestion on checking your roll rates. How is the steering (responsiveness/under/over) on the car?

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1566070
01/21/14 03:02 AM
01/21/14 03:02 AM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline OP
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline OP
super stock

Houston Tx
More info on the set-up:
1.04 Mopar Performance TB's up front (~225 lb wheel rate)
1 5/16 x.250 wall Hellwig custom front bar (~475 lb wheel rate - 73+ k member)
MP 0" oval leaf springs (listed as 130 lb, though someone measured at 180 lb - these are not wheel rates. Also required 1.5" drop spacer)
Hellwig solid 3/4 rear bar (notes say wheel rates of 71, 82, or 96 - don't remember if this is wheel rate or bar rate - would need to run the numbers again to verify - currently on softest setting)

wheels are 18x9.5, +45mm offset. Tire allows a 9-10.5 rim width, and tire measurements on tire rack uses a 9.5" rim. Section with 10.7, tread width 10.2.

weight bias = 54.8% front, 45.2% rear. 3620 w/o driver. Bias didn't change on scales when driver got in.

Mopar handling line (used as a guide, not the gospel):
55% front bias = 77% front roll couple
54.5% front bias = 78% front roll couple
54% front bias = 79% front roll couple
53.5% front bias = 80% front roll couple

My math says I'm currently at 80% roll couple (using 180 lb for leaf), and can get 79% and 78% with rear sway adjustments. My 'goal' when picking components was to have some adjustment in the range that the handling line says I need, given it's theory and not a hard rule.

Currently I've got a bit of understeer. Max registered on the skidpad was .98 (peak, not constant). On the track, I was able to run down a number of great handling cars in the corners, albeit this occurred in the 'green' run group.

I'll play around with the rear bar soon, just wanted to fix the front tire wear issue first. I've also made it a point to only change one thing at a time, so I know what does what.

Car is a little lazy getting into the corners. Takes a split second to 'set'. Course, my only point of reference is shifter karts, which require a hard set with the steering wheel, which my instructor was trying to break that habit of mine in the duster.

Quote:

I'm sure you would..there is a reason I get paid a lot of money to help people set up their cars for the track. And my cars are always on the podium

And deservedly so! I'd sure appreciate you pointing me in the right direction, though!

The camber resulting from caster was something I was looking at this weekend. How significant is this when tuning a road course car vs an autocross car?

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Uhcoog1] #1566071
01/21/14 03:07 AM
01/21/14 03:07 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Bigger torsion bars.

And/Or stiffer slow speed shocks to slow down the rate of weight transfer. And/Or stiffer slow speed compression front shocks and stiffer setting slow speed rebound on rear shocks.

And/Or too aggressive driving line entering corners (too hot in). Driving instructor's input/feelings?

Last edited by autoxcuda; 01/21/14 03:14 AM.
Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: 72Swinger] #1566072
01/21/14 04:12 AM
01/21/14 04:12 AM
Escondido CA USA
Tomswheels Offline
enthusiast
Tomswheels  Offline
enthusiast

Escondido CA USA
I've run Super Sports on both my 3500lb 69 Barracuda and my 2013 3700lb Mustang GT and to be honest, I think your tire wear isn't really abnormal. When you track a heavy car on a 300 treadware street tire, with an alignment that is remotely streetable, the outside of the tire is going to wear faster. I've found the pressure sweet spot for my SuperSports to be 38/34 on a road course, and 32/30 on a shorter autocross track. I have since switched to Falken RT615Ks and found the sidewalls to be stiffer than the Michelins, and that has improved the vagueness on turn-in you described. The new Dunlop Z2 will be the next tire I try, particularly since you can dismount them and run them on the other side of the car to equalize wear....

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Tomswheels] #1566073
01/21/14 12:01 PM
01/21/14 12:01 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline OP
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline OP
super stock

Houston Tx
Quote:

Bigger torsion bars.

And/Or stiffer slow speed shocks to slow down the rate of weight transfer. And/Or stiffer slow speed compression front shocks and stiffer setting slow speed rebound on rear shocks.

And/Or too aggressive driving line entering corners (too hot in). Driving instructor's input/feelings?

I disagree with you on needing bigger torsion bars. I've got plenty of wheel rate between the TB's and sway bar, I just need that wheel rate to come in sooner. Solid end links, maybe?

That being said, larger TB's would be easier to align. Just if I make that move now, I'll upset the balance I have, and will need to replace a second component as well.

None of the 4 instructors that got in the car had any complaints about the handling of the car; quite the opposite- I think they were all impressed. My main instructor spent a good amount of time feeling the car out, including evaluating the suspension set up and response. His only complaint was the throttle engagement (too aggressive).

Quote:

I've run Super Sports on both my 3500lb 69 Barracuda and my 2013 3700lb Mustang GT and to be honest, I think your tire wear isn't really abnormal. When you track a heavy car on a 300 treadware street tire, with an alignment that is remotely streetable, the outside of the tire is going to wear faster. I've found the pressure sweet spot for my SuperSports to be 38/34 on a road course, and 32/30 on a shorter autocross track. I have since switched to Falken RT615Ks and found the sidewalls to be stiffer than the Michelins, and that has improved the vagueness on turn-in you described. The new Dunlop Z2 will be the next tire I try, particularly since you can dismount them and run them on the other side of the car to equalize wear....

Thanks for the heads up! I went ahead and flipped the more worn set and put them on the rear. Will probably give up some traction with the 'wrong' compound facing out, but my set up can stand to lose a little traction in the rear and still be fine.

38/34 for super sports- is that cold or hot?

Oh yeah- my tire guy agreed with you- didn't think the wear was that abnormal. Shoot, the inner to outer main tread wear was only 2/32 off (7/32 vs 5/32). He indicated wearing through the side block wasn't a concern to him.

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Uhcoog1] #1566074
01/21/14 02:55 PM
01/21/14 02:55 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Bigger torsion bars.

I disagree with you on needing bigger torsion bars. I've got plenty of wheel rate between the TB's and sway bar, I just need that wheel rate to come in sooner. Solid end links, maybe?

That being said, larger TB's would be easier to align. Just if I make that move now, I'll upset the balance I have, and will need to replace a second component as well.

None of the 4 instructors that got in the car had any complaints about the handling of the car; quite the opposite- I think they were all impressed. My main instructor spent a good amount of time feeling the car out, including evaluating the suspension set up and response. His only complaint was the throttle engagement (too aggressive).

Then if it's just sooner (time) try the end link deal. Stiffen shocks would be a time deal too.

Maybe I'm over fixating on that picture where the car is in a tight turn and looks like it's loosing camber.

You have an adjustable rear sway bar? Where are you with the setting now?

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: autoxcuda] #1566075
01/21/14 03:47 PM
01/21/14 03:47 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline OP
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline OP
super stock

Houston Tx
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bigger torsion bars.

Then if it's just sooner (time) try the end link deal. Stiffen shocks would be a time deal too.

Maybe I'm over fixating on that picture where the car is in a tight turn and looks like it's loosing camber.

You have an adjustable rear sway bar? Where are you with the setting now?

I agree- I'm losing camber. I think it can be 'fixed' with the components I have now, though. If I can't improve the tire wear after a few sets of tires, then I'll start looking into new components.

I've got Bilstein RCD's in the car right now. Don't think I had that listed above.

Rear bar is set at the weakest setting.

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Uhcoog1] #1566076
01/21/14 04:18 PM
01/21/14 04:18 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline OP
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline OP
super stock

Houston Tx
Good talking to you just now Dan. Thanks for taking the time!

wade

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Uhcoog1] #1566077
01/21/14 09:53 PM
01/21/14 09:53 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Good talking to you just now Dan. Thanks for taking the time!

wade

My pleasure!

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Uhcoog1] #1566078
01/22/14 02:40 AM
01/22/14 02:40 AM
Escondido CA USA
Tomswheels Offline
enthusiast
Tomswheels  Offline
enthusiast

Escondido CA USA

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up! I went ahead and flipped the more worn set and put them on the rear. Will probably give up some traction with the 'wrong' compound facing out, but my set up can stand to lose a little traction in the rear and still be fine.

38/34 for super sports- is that cold or hot?

Oh yeah- my tire guy agreed with you- didn't think the wear was that abnormal. Shoot, the inner to outer main tread wear was only 2/32 off (7/32 vs 5/32). He indicated wearing through the side block wasn't a concern to him.

That's my cold pressure. As your tires wear, you should notice they don't wear out quite as quickly, the tread blocks are more stable with less than 1/2 instead of full tread...

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Tomswheels] #1566079
01/23/14 02:59 PM
01/23/14 02:59 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline OP
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline OP
super stock

Houston Tx
Quote:

That's my cold pressure. As your tires wear, you should notice they don't wear out quite as quickly, the tread blocks are more stable with less than 1/2 instead of full tread...

That's good to know!

Also, for those of you following the thread, I was able to reduce the body roll significantly today. Put these in:

MasterPro K750074 - $28 each at Oreilly. That's also the Moog PN
-5.3" mounting point to mounting point (longer than factory?)

This is a 'must do' modification in my book. $60 cheap.

I don't have definitive test data on tire temps with this modification yet (started to rain this morning), but I can say the 'feel' was much improved. better turn in response, and much less body roll. It didn't change the roll couple, as the car is still close to balanced. It pushed slightly on the skidpad and kicked the rear out on a damp turn a few minutes later.

We've got bad weather the next two days, so I won't run the car until the event this weekend. I'll report back and include pictures and video.

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Uhcoog1] #1566080
01/23/14 08:32 PM
01/23/14 08:32 PM
Battle Ground, Washington
R
Rapom65 Offline
Rapom65  Offline
R

Battle Ground, Washington
Wade, glad to hear you have had some initial positive results with the solid end links. I almost pulled the trigger on a set of those last night but was not having much luck finding info on lengths and stud sizes on the different truck applications listed in this and the other thread. Questions: I assume you were running stock type links with poly bushings before? Are the solid end link studs the correct size for the LCA and sway bar mounts? I measured my poly end links to be right at 4" (LCA tab to sway bar,'74 Duster, Helwig bar and end links) From your pictures your bar appears to be fairly level but at 5.5" mine would be angled down quite a bit more, thoughts?

Re: Tire wear, Additional camber, and tire pressures [Re: Uhcoog1] #1566081
01/23/14 11:43 PM
01/23/14 11:43 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

MasterPro K750074 - $28 each at Oreilly. That's also the Moog PN
-5.3" mounting point to mounting point (longer than factory?)

This is a 'must do' modification in my book. $60 cheap.

Very nice!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3