A
abodyman Offline OP
super street
abodyman  Offline OP
super street
A

Oregon
Hi everyone,
My 69 dart has super stock 3000 lb springs, moved into the frame, wheel tubs up to the frame rail, a narrowed 8 3/4 rear housing, with mopar performance shocks that were recommended for use with the springs, and slant 6 torsion bars, and no sway bar. 13.5/30/15 rear MT Streets.Custom made steel stock looking 10 inch wide wheels.
there is about 3/4 or 1 inch of clearance between the tires and the frame and the outer wheel lip. The front part of the wheelwell, has been extended a little.
Now the problem ...
when going around even a short slow corner, the rearv tire on the passenger side rubs on the wheelwell inside near the frame rail.
Nothing rubs at all going straight.
So, if I put big block torsion bars in, and also a factory swaybar, with poly end link bushings, do You think that would cure the problem so the car doesnt lean so much?
Should I try and find longer rear shocks also?
I never even thought about when narrowing the rear housing, that it would move the shock mounts in and possibly mess up the leverage that the stock position provides..in the beginning, this car was not even going to be driven on the street, just the track.
Since now its my only street car...I want to drive it and not worry about the rear tires rubbing.
What size tire is close to what I have, but about an inch narrower and who makes it?
What has everyone else, done after doing these mods and having the same type of problem?
Thanks everyone!
Robert.

Re: advice on cornering problem [Re: abodyman] #155315
11/23/08 03:08 PM
11/23/08 03:08 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
The slant six bars are not helping reg cornering, so upgrading them would only help, next maybe trying a 1/4" wheel spacer could get the problem reduced or licked, and straightening the shocks towards vertical is likely a benefit

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: advice on cornering problem [Re: abodyman] #155316
11/23/08 03:43 PM
11/23/08 03:43 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Sounds like the rear isn't centered in the body.

You built an ill handling street car for the sake of a good hooking race car.

Your point about narrowing the axle messing up the geometry is on the mark.

As for tires, my advice is to measure yours, go to tirerack.com and look at the specs listed for various sized tires and see if you can find something you can run.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: advice on cornering problem [Re: Supercuda] #155317
11/23/08 08:43 PM
11/23/08 08:43 PM
Oregon
A
abodyman Offline OP
super street
abodyman  Offline OP
super street
A

Oregon
I guess I will try the heavier torsion bars and front swaybar and perhaps move the top mounts of the rear shocks out a little.
If that doesnt work, I will go to smaller rear tires. I really like the et streets !
it would be nice to actually drive my car once in awhile and not have that godawful squeak from the tire rubbing. Its only done it a few times and then I slowed WAY down and nursed it through any corners. I hate to think I can be ruining brand new tires!
Thanks everybody for the advice
I Love Moparts!!!

Robert.

Re: advice on cornering problem [Re: abodyman] #155318
11/23/08 08:50 PM
11/23/08 08:50 PM
Oregon
A
abodyman Offline OP
super street
abodyman  Offline OP
super street
A

Oregon
Hey, I was just wondering again...do You guys think that aluminum front spring eye bushings would help? Maybe it would take out some of the movement?
Just a thought..whaddya think?

Re: advice on cornering problem [Re: abodyman] #155319
11/23/08 09:08 PM
11/23/08 09:08 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Hey, I was just wondering again...do You guys think that aluminum front spring eye bushings would help? Maybe it would take out some of the movement?
Just a thought..whaddya think?

A little. But they will transmit a lot of noise on the street.

The rear end just needs to be centered compared to the front wheels. Doesn't matter where the body is. But you may have moved one wheel tub slightly more on one side than the next. Or you are taking left turn with more corning than right turns. Typically a left turn has a larger radius and more speed than right turns and lower speeds.

Even though you moved the spring in which will reduce rear roll rate, your SS spring are stiffer than the factory springs.

Just see if you can spacer the wheels out OR get smaller rear tires. Do you have long enough studs for a spacer?

Do you have sway bar tabs on your lower control arms? Just a stock front sway bar would help a lot, but will that hurt your 1/4 track performance?

Re: advice on cornering problem [Re: Supercuda] #155320
11/24/08 01:23 AM
11/24/08 01:23 AM
Santa Cruz, California
L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
Quote:

You built an ill handling street car for the sake of a good hooking race car.

It's never going to handle "good" in corners.