09/17/13 09:51 PM
09/17/13 09:51 PM
Missouri
C
Clayton Offline OP
Clayton  Offline OP
C

Missouri
Ive got some electrical gremlins in my 67 Barracuda, bulkhead connector in pretty rough shape, lots of splices and plugs missing. Left blinker only blinks about twice a min and the right about 1000 times a min and when I push the brake the left turn signal comes on. And the positive batt. terminal got so hot while trying to figure it out that it blistered me when I touched it! Im looking at a Ron Francis kit that is a 12 circut but he suggested a 21 circut kit for another 200 dollars. it only has a 6 circut fuse box now and I only intend to add ac and electric fuel pump so wouldnt the 12 still leave me 4 extra circuts? Was just wondering if the 12 is enough or I should spend twice as much for the 21 and why. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Clay

Re: wiring kits [Re: Clayton] #1503379
09/17/13 10:58 PM
09/17/13 10:58 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Ive got some electrical gremlins in my 67 Barracuda, bulkhead connector in pretty rough shape, lots of splices and plugs missing. Left blinker only blinks about twice a min and the right about 1000 times a min and when I push the brake the left turn signal comes on. And the positive batt. terminal got so hot . Any suggestions or advice

Is the above a complete list of the problems? Not all bulkhead cavities are used. Clean the batt cables/posts & the heat is from friction from a poor connection. Solder the splices. Clean all grounds & ALL connections. It's work but less than what a harness replacement will entail. It is a judgement call tho as I am not there to see what you see

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: wiring kits [Re: Clayton] #1503380
09/17/13 11:35 PM
09/17/13 11:35 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
A complete NEW stock harness may work. Stay away from PAIN in the Lass (IE: painless) . TOTAL JUNK!!!! as are most of the other alternatives.

Ron Francis does some quality kits but the "Quality" depends on the ability of the installer. Being an A body you choices are limited.

Re: wiring kits [Re: TJP] #1503381
09/18/13 09:51 AM
09/18/13 09:51 AM
Missouri
C
Clayton Offline OP
Clayton  Offline OP
C

Missouri
Also the coulum plug has been cut off and spliced with barrels, not sure I have enough wire to cut off the barrels and solder all the wires before re connecting them. Anyone know if the ron francis kit comes with all the plugs needed? I'd like to get a new main plug for the back of the dash also. I get all the dash lights working, clean all contacts and tighten everything I can find but after a few bumps they go back out and I'm tired of all that work just to have them go out again three days later. If the kit comes with everything needed and all new plugs then it sounds like it would be worth it to re wire and be done with it once and for all. Thanks, Clay

Re: wiring kits [Re: Clayton] #1503382
09/18/13 12:28 PM
09/18/13 12:28 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
you might search www.forabodiesonly.com & www.bigblockdart.com & find an original harness for sale. That's what I did on my 65 dart & I cleaned the terminals/ends & installed it & that took care of all my issues. iirc I bought mine from a gentleman named Steve Remington. Price was very reasonable. On another I took the harness out & laid it on the floor & made a new harness right next to it by soldering in 1 wire then cutting/tossing that identical wire on the nearby harness till the old one dissappeared & then new one took shape. On that one the wires in the harness were all there but some were brittle/terminals corroded so I bought spools of wire of the correct colors & gauges & went 1 gauge smaller on most of the circuits. I cleaned the bulkheads/bakelite connectors etc & NAPA has packard 56 type brass 1/4" terminals 725145/725147 male/female

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: wiring kits [Re: RapidRobert] #1503383
09/18/13 02:36 PM
09/18/13 02:36 PM
hawaii
P
pauly v.100 Offline
pauly v.100  Offline
P

hawaii
I've heard some grumbling about the ron francis kits. Not so much the kit but the customer service, it's getting very low marks. American Autowire is getting good reviews and the kit I installed in my car from EZ Wiring was very good also. No vendors offer a mopar specific kit.
I would consider getting a harness that you can ad items to in the future. I used a 21 circuit kit and they're all being used, i.e. electric fuel pump, electric seats, electric fans, electric accusump valve, stereo etc., it all adds up! -pauly