07/29/13 10:40 AM
07/29/13 10:40 AM
My Garage / Museum
idrivevintage Offline
Chrysler Plant
idrivevintage  Offline
Chrysler Plant

My Garage / Museum
Devin, I just stumbled across this thread and am bummed out too...just posted in another thread a cool memory I have of your dad and his car. I hope he doesn't let it get the better of him...cool heads prevail.

We need to keep this car on the streets or it will become dormant again like the rest of the them in the famliy

I have another 11" bell housing from a 68' if you need it...don't think I'll be using it anytime soon. Flywheel too but it'll need resurfaced.

Man, I'm sorry for your luck with all this. It's unbelievable

I'll give you guys a call

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: idrivevintage] #1473220
07/31/13 11:08 AM
07/31/13 11:08 AM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline
master
moparmojo  Offline
master

missouri, USA
I'll be honest that I don't know what it is as I am more of a parts changer than anything else, however I would recommend that at first chance to pull everything out. Align all the pieces and take many photos for us to look at. I bet when you start putting the puzzle pieces back together you will get a better idea of what may have happened. Look for things that may be discolored, melted, or burnt or that have unusual wear marks. Do you know the speed of the vibration? Was it a constant speed or did it speed up as the car sped up. Did it match the motor RPM or was it half RPM. Just wondering.sure sorry this happened.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: moparmojo] #1473221
07/31/13 05:41 PM
07/31/13 05:41 PM
P
Paul_Fancsali Offline
master
Paul_Fancsali  Offline
master
P

Was the drive shaft original to the car Too long a shaft could cause the vibration and damage you had all it takes is little extra weight and dips / holes / slanted driveways you name it. drive shaft moves forwards an there is no play you get a mess.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: 68KillerBee] #1473222
07/31/13 08:04 PM
07/31/13 08:04 PM
MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
E
ek3 Offline
top fuel
ek3  Offline
top fuel
E

MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
Quote:

We are getting a new garage and we were cleaning the old one out so we can tear it down. Power goes out in our neighborhood, so we hop in the GTX too cruise around a bit. Drove around town for a bit and heading home. A mile from our house the car starts grinding and sparks flying everywhere. I thought the driveshaft had just fallen off from the u joint at the rear. Well Dad finally gets it to stop and we go out to assess what happened. First thing we saw radiator was leaking and the transmission looked loose. Driveshaft angle was off, so we pulled it off and towed the car home. Get home, lights go on just as we finish pushing the car in the shed.
I hop under since I can finally see and find this:

The completely rebuilt motor was just finished up last year, transmission was professionally rebuilt, new clutch, pressure plate, bellhousing, driveshaft balanced, etc.
I mean where do you even start on fixing this? The motor let loose and came forward, so the fan took out the radiator in the center, who knows what could be wrong in the motor with the input shaft on the transmission completely ripping off, and hopefully it didn't mess up the rearend. The bellhousing ripped in half along with the front shaft! 18 spline transmission too. So frustrated as we have been messing with this car for two years and now this. The 440 is not pumping out tons of HP either, it is probably a mid to high 13 second car if I were to compare it to my (slow) 14.5 quarter I get in my super bee.

your bell housing broke probably due to cracks. that left no support for the transmission which then failed as a result. the engine then dropped as there was no support at the rear and that got the radiator. I have blown a bell housing into 100 little bits. unless the rear crank flange is bent , the engine will most likely be fine.[be sure to install a new pilot bushing] this can be checked with a known flat flywheel mounted and a dial indicator if you want to know. then,#1. get the engine back upright and block it level temp. put the known properly balanced flywheel on it and crank it without a disc or pressure plate. if it vibrates , it is in the engine. if it does not , add the disc and p-plate and re-check. you are all over the place with problems and you need to start from a known point to find your solution. btw. you can un-hook all the belts ,even the water pump to test this and add 1 at the time back!

Last edited by ek3; 07/31/13 08:08 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4