CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Quote:

... and if you look at the one picture of the crank flange it looks like the back of the flywheel isn't in plane with the back of the block.

I was noticing the same thing .

In my first response I was thinking that it looked like that was what happened, but wasn't sure if it was just a funny picture. Still, something was the source of a vibration with the transmission installed, which makes me think that whatever the failure was the root cause was in the bellhousing runout.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 07/25/13 02:26 AM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: TJP] #1473200
07/25/13 07:59 AM
07/25/13 07:59 AM
Missouri
68KillerBee Offline OP
master
68KillerBee  Offline OP
master

Missouri
Quote:

From one of your posts in the old thread
Quote:

with the clutch, pressure plate, d-shaft and trans out there was no vibration at any rpm.
put in new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel (refurbished from brewers), rebuilt transmission, new throw out bearing, and the vibration is still there

Re read that several times and think it through, the answer appears to be somewhere in the second sentence of the above quote

Refurbished flywheel from a well known, all Mopar transmission guy?

The camera angle was weird on that pic as the flywheel looks even all the way around once fully under the car. It won't budge anywhere with a pry bar. I'll be able to talk with my dad tomorrow to see what the plan of attack is.

edit: also, the vibration is not as bad as it used to be before all of these new parts were put on it. It wasn't jarring or anything horrible, just enough to annoy you. But most of that subsided. Since we have been working on this problem, it has gone 2-300 miles at the most. That's including the old set up and when the problem appeared. So he hasn't driven it much at all because of it, just don't want you all to think that he's been driving it all around with this problem.
I've driven my super bee 25,000 miles on a transmission and bell set up that we did years ago. Have had my transmission in and out 3 times since I've owned it. Not saying mistakes don't happen, but we've done this in the past and no problems.

Also to clarify exactly what the vibration was felt in all of these scenarios:
-At a dead stop with clutch pushed in and revved up and with clutch released when revved up.
-Driving, no particular speed was it felt at, only at the rpm level. (Just the same thing as if it was at a dead stop).
So really that takes out the driveshaft, although I understand "good" pinion angle is not guaranteed.
Would the possibility of poorly welded front floor pans cause a flex on the area where the transmission mount is....? Trying to think out of the box .
I still will investigate all ideas you all have written. I really do appreciate it everyone

Last edited by 68Killerbee; 07/25/13 08:18 AM.
Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: 68KillerBee] #1473201
07/25/13 08:27 AM
07/25/13 08:27 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

The camera angle was weird on that pic as the flywheel looks even all the way around once fully under the car. It won't budge anywhere with a pry bar. I'll be able to talk with my dad tomorrow to see what the plan of attack is.

Even you have a free moment, see if you can turn the motor or rock it from the crank damper. If the flywheel moves then its all good for sure, I forgot to mention this the other day.

I hope the engine is ok, I'm just trying to analyze the damage and posit the initial failure point. Until you have it apart all we have is the pictures posted to go by and description of events and so this is all speculation of course.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: gdonovan] #1473202
07/25/13 09:08 AM
07/25/13 09:08 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
With the way the trans looks the motor might not turn.One I has would not turn till we pulled the trans and bell.Motor was good.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: 68KillerBee] #1473203
07/25/13 11:16 AM
07/25/13 11:16 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

with the clutch, pressure plate, d-shaft and trans out there was no vibration at any rpm.
put in new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel (refurbished from brewers), rebuilt transmission, new throw out bearing, and the vibration is still there

Re read that several times and think it through, the answer appears to be somewhere in the second sentence of the above quote

edit: also, the vibration is not as bad as it used to be before all of these new parts were put on it. It wasn't jarring or anything horrible, just enough to annoy you. But most of that subsided. Since we have been working on this problem, it has gone 2-300 miles at the most. That's including the old set up and when the problem appeared. So he hasn't driven it much at all because of it, just don't want you all to think that he's been driving it all around with this problem.
I've driven my super bee 25,000 miles on a transmission and bell set up that we did years ago. Have had my transmission in and out 3 times since I've owned it. Not saying mistakes don't happen, but we've done this in the past and no problems.

-At a dead stop with clutch pushed in and revved up and with clutch released when revved up.
-Driving, no particular speed was it felt at, only at the rpm level. (Just the same thing as if it was at a dead stop).
So really that takes out the driveshaft, although I understand "good" pinion angle is not guaranteed.
Would the possibility of poorly welded front floor pans cause a flex on the area where the transmission mount is....? Trying to think out of the box .
I still will investigate all ideas you all have written. I really do appreciate it everyone

Have the floor pans been replaced ?

I'd be looking at an imbalance with the Flywheel and pressure plate .

Did you confirm the flywheel was neutral balance or did you just ASSuME it because you got the flywheel from "a well known, all Mopar transmission guy" ?

Not that I'm knocking Wayne, but I have bought high dollar parts from big name companies that were not as good as they should have been.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: JohnRR] #1473204
07/25/13 11:33 AM
07/25/13 11:33 AM
Missouri
68KillerBee Offline OP
master
68KillerBee  Offline OP
master

Missouri
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Have the floor pans been replaced ?

I'd be looking at an imbalance with the Flywheel and pressure plate .

Did you confirm the flywheel was neutral balance or did you just ASSuME it because you got the flywheel from "a well known, all Mopar transmission guy" ?

Not that I'm knocking Wayne, but I have bought high dollar parts from big name companies that were not as good as they should have been.

Ahh, my favorite word you use ha. You told me about that in the original thread, so we found a place to do it. I'd have to find the receipt to verify what they did.
And yes, the floor pans had been replaced.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: JohnRR] #1473205
07/25/13 11:45 AM
07/25/13 11:45 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I would not even be thinking about the floor pans etc. An old engineering manager of mine would call that "chasing ghosts". The answer is somewhere in your previous post.

The vibration appears after installing the clutch assembly and transmission, OK that would indicate to me the vibration was due to
1. something in the clutch assembly.
2. A problem with the bell housing itself
3. The transmission.

Another thing to keep in mind is, we don't know that the vibration caused the failure only that it was there before. the 40 year old bell housing may have been fractured due to being dropped and it was not apparent.
I have seen 2 very similar failures (almost identical) both were caused by an incorrect bearing retainer OD to Bell housing ID.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: TJP] #1473206
07/25/13 12:14 PM
07/25/13 12:14 PM
Missouri
68KillerBee Offline OP
master
68KillerBee  Offline OP
master

Missouri
Quote:

I would not even be thinking about the floor pans etc. An old engineering manager of mine would call that "chasing ghosts". The answer is somewhere in your previous post.

The vibration appears after installing the clutch assembly and transmission, OK that would indicate to me the vibration was due to
3. The transmission.

Another thing to keep in mind is, we don't know that the vibration caused the failure only that it was there before. the 40 year old bell housing may have been fractured due to being dropped and it was not apparent.
I have seen 2 very similar failures (almost identical) both were caused by an incorrect bearing retainer OD to Bell housing ID.

I see what you're saying, but this has been happening after two different clutches, pressure plates, bellhousings, flywheels, bearings in the crank and after a complete re-haul of the transmission, new fork etc. The car has never been wrecked either (i don't think I answered that earlier).So I can't dismiss something as dumb(trust me, I know it is dumb) as that. But it could have simply been the bellhousing, i believe that was the first thing I found in the road when I retrieved pieces. Once we take it out I will check the bearing sizes.
I'll be back with more info/pictures on Wednesday at the earliest, or if dad pulls it out by himself before then. Isn't too hard since the only thing holding the transmission is the transmission mount .
Thanks again fellas

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: TJP] #1473207
07/25/13 12:23 PM
07/25/13 12:23 PM
Oklahoma
V
VoodooCLD Offline
mopar
VoodooCLD  Offline
mopar
V

Oklahoma
Quote:

3. The transmission.

Not to highjack the post, but i bought one of those converter rings to put on my bearing retatiner from brewers. Has there ever been any instances of them falling off and ending up in the clutch? It's got me kind of worried.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: VoodooCLD] #1473208
07/25/13 12:37 PM
07/25/13 12:37 PM
NW INDIANA
T
ta3834bbl Offline
ta3834bbl  Offline
T

NW INDIANA
In the second picture of this thread, it looks like there is discoloration next to the threads , is that rust from a previous fracture or is that oil hanging in the casting ?

67 Dart GT Convertible 273
68 Barracuda 383
68 Roadrunner 383 4spd
1 '01 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
2 '02 Rams 1500 4x4's 4.7s
3 '03 Rams 2 1500's 4x4 and 1 2500 hemi 4x4
Oh, and a 03 Grand Cherokee and an '00 durango smile
Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: 68KillerBee] #1473209
07/25/13 01:48 PM
07/25/13 01:48 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

3. The transmission.

I see what you're saying, but this has been happening after two different clutches, pressure plates, bellhousings, flywheels, bearings in the crank and after a complete re-haul of the transmission, new fork etc. The car has never been wrecked either (i don't think I answered that earlier).So I can't dismiss something as dumb(trust me, I know it is dumb) as that. But it could have simply been the bellhousing, i believe that was the first thing I found in the road when I retrieved pieces. Once we take it out I will check the bearing sizes.
I'll be back with more info/pictures on Wednesday at the earliest, or if dad pulls it out by himself before then. Isn't too hard since the only thing holding the transmission is the transmission mount .
Thanks again fellas

Tell us about the engine rebuild , did it involve new parts other than rings and more importantly a balance job ?

I can't see the floor pans being the cause as something would have to vibrate to cause it to resonate thru the floors that would have had to have been very poorly attached to the car.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: JohnRR] #1473210
07/25/13 05:40 PM
07/25/13 05:40 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

It isn't the floor pans.

It isn't the transmission as it does it with the clutch DISENGAGED, meaning the clutch disk is stationary

So we're down to whatever rotates when the engine is rotating but the driveshaft and transmission are not. That leaves rotating assembly, flywheel and pressure plate, plus whatever is on the accessory drives. But you said you tested with all the belts off and it still did it.

Seems to me that rather than buy new parts again and again, you pull the engine and rebalance the entire rotating assembly WITH flywheel, pressure plate and harmonic damper attached.

From the first posts it sounds like maybe the vibration started when you changed the pressure plate. So that's what I'd look at first, the balance of the entire rotating assembly.

R.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: dogdays] #1473211
07/26/13 01:03 AM
07/26/13 01:03 AM
Missouri
68KillerBee Offline OP
master
68KillerBee  Offline OP
master

Missouri
The motor rebuild was a different block and all internal stuff was different. The old 440 is still sitting in the shed with just the heads off, intake and carb off, they're on the new block. The only reason flywheel and stuff was switched originally was bc we were looking for what the vibration was from. Different motor, flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, etc and it still the exact same symptoms (vibration when in higher rpm's). I may jump on taking parts out Saturday, just because I'm curious on the extent of damage and of course to get your all's help.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: 68KillerBee] #1473212
07/26/13 04:05 AM
07/26/13 04:05 AM
colorado
A
a12superbee Offline
master
a12superbee  Offline
master
A

colorado
Everything posted sure points to not being balanced as an assembly.
Your dads sacrifice has led to one of the best threads in quite a while though.
Buy him a root beer for us.

I can't afford this. mark
Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: 68KillerBee] #1473213
07/26/13 10:08 AM
07/26/13 10:08 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

The motor rebuild was a different block and all internal stuff was different. The old 440 is still sitting in the shed with just the heads off, intake and carb off, they're on the new block. The only reason flywheel and stuff was switched originally was bc we were looking for what the vibration was from. Different motor, flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, etc and it still the exact same symptoms (vibration when in higher rpm's). I may jump on taking parts out Saturday, just because I'm curious on the extent of damage and of course to get your all's help.

Then it's driveline related originally.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: JohnRR] #1473214
07/26/13 11:22 AM
07/26/13 11:22 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
S
superbeedave Offline
mopar
superbeedave  Offline
mopar
S

Cincinnati, Ohio
I have plenty of movies. It's gonna be a longgg one!!!

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: superbeedave] #1473215
07/26/13 01:17 PM
07/26/13 01:17 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

JohnRR, you may be forgetting that he says it vibrated with the clutch pedal in, also vibrated with the clutch pedal out but the transmission in neutral.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is either a perception problem or something off the wall like a distributor with slightly misshaped toothed wheel or cam.

R.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: dogdays] #1473216
07/26/13 02:35 PM
07/26/13 02:35 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

JohnRR, you may be forgetting that he says it vibrated with the clutch pedal in, also vibrated with the clutch pedal out but the transmission in neutral.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is either a perception problem or something off the wall like a distributor with slightly misshaped toothed wheel or cam.

R.

Could be all of the above ???

Was the car in motion while the clutch pedal was pushed in or was it stationary ?

IF stationary that points to an engine imbalance , but with 2 different engines ?

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: JohnRR] #1473217
07/26/13 03:47 PM
07/26/13 03:47 PM
Courtenay, B.C.
D
DarrenS Offline
mopar
DarrenS  Offline
mopar
D

Courtenay, B.C.
Most or all the parts have been replaced but if one of the parts was of improper balance for the combination replacing it with a like item would not solve the problem...

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: JohnRR] #1473218
07/29/13 08:11 AM
07/29/13 08:11 AM
Missouri
68KillerBee Offline OP
master
68KillerBee  Offline OP
master

Missouri
Quote:

Quote:

R.

Could be all of the above ???

Was the car in motion while the clutch pedal was pushed in or was it stationary ?

IF stationary that points to an engine imbalance , but with 2 different engines ?

Hadn't thought of that. I had a problem that I coulda swore was my carburetor. But putting a different coil on it fixed the problem, even though I was just changing it just to change it. Who knows at this point what it is, I haven't messed with it and don't know if dad has either.

Clutch pushed in and out, moving or sitting still and it is felt.

More to come in a few days.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4