Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia

Yes sounds like great track, location, weather,costs, etc. How maybe an event on wed before spring fling?
I'm in agreement on being realistic with babysteps to start oout an event

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: jcc] #1267847
07/16/12 02:01 PM
07/16/12 02:01 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Yes sounds like great track, location, weather,costs, etc. How maybe an event on wed before spring fling?
I'm in agreement on being realistic with babysteps to start oout an event

Well Spring Fling Speed Festival is the Thursday before Spring Fling the day after. That's not enough travel time.

Do you mean on the Wednesday the week before Spring Fling?

Last edited by autoxcuda; 07/16/12 02:36 PM.
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: autoxcuda] #1267848
07/16/12 02:04 PM
07/16/12 02:04 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Ok, bad idea

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: jcc] #1267849
07/16/12 03:38 PM
07/16/12 03:38 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Heres the track close to me, pretty small but ill take what I can get. http://www.racemph.com/Hastings-Track-Map-by-Randy-Urlik.pdf

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: 72Swinger] #1267850
07/16/12 06:22 PM
07/16/12 06:22 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
hey autox you do have a spring fling and a fall fling right? I'm shooting for next years when i have the car finished - although i remember when you had the spring fling this year we still had snow on the ground here! might have to make it to the fall one instead..

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: dangina] #1267851
07/16/12 08:51 PM
07/16/12 08:51 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Fall is a one day show with no road course day.....

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: dangina] #1267852
07/16/12 10:53 PM
07/16/12 10:53 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

hey autox you do have a spring fling and a fall fling right? I'm shooting for next years when i have the car finished - although i remember when you had the spring fling this year we still had snow on the ground here! might have to make it to the fall one instead..

All the better time to go to a place with warmer weather.

A12rag drove to Spring Fling from Alberta a few times. He even raced the same car he drove down in once at Willow Springs too!

A lot of drag racers go to Vegas from Alberta.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 07/17/12 03:04 AM.
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: autoxcuda] #1267853
07/17/12 11:53 AM
07/17/12 11:53 AM
Indy
J
joshking440 Offline
Lunch is on me!
joshking440  Offline
Lunch is on me!
J

Indy
If the circle track at Lucas Oil Raceway in Indianapolis would suit your needs, I would volunteer the space Sept 21-23

I know they hold some drift competitions there on the track, so laying out curves is a possibilty

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: joshking440] #1267854
07/17/12 12:32 PM
07/17/12 12:32 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
The original Chrysler Car Club Council held a "gymkahana" out at the Chysler Proving Grounds (before it was called the Mopar Nats, if i recall correctly)... when i first saw it, I felt they needed to rid the gymkahana and make it an actual autocross.. i offred involvement but nothing ever came of it. In 1995, Jim Bileinda promoted the Indy Mopar Nats to have another gymkahana/autocross... i was extremely interesed along with some other immediate mopar frineds as we were then 100% hard-core autocrossers with our Mopars (my t/a and his AAR)... we even offered to run / organiz the event as we have years of such expoerience... but we were extremely disaapointed as jim bileinda cancelled it... we could have run on the immediate circle track or even pro-solo-style, in brief, down the drag strip there.... we wanted so very much to show the rest of the mopar world at the show that mopars could handle (and, Hi-Perf Mopar Magazine actually promoted that it happened... i royally complained to the editor which he apologized saying the article was writen before the event even happened!)... In 2002 there was the Monster Mopar wknd out at Topeka, KS which incldd a very good autox- hosted by the Dodge Shelby Owners Club... unlimited runs!!! I specifically towed my T/a out to that event ONLY for the auto-x.. ran about 30 timed runs on Sat (my wife and i split the driving.. she actually beat me on her final run by about 0.001 of a 45 second course),but rain came on Sun (no magazn coverag despite its great success that Sat). Out at Carlisle there is a a small rectangula paved track that is used by other clubs, to my brief knowledge, for autocross.. I'm not sure where the Hotchkiss cars ran this year there, but tht site is a possiblity (I had my SCCA T/a featured indoors at Carlisle in 2005 next to the Posey T/A with my other autocross friend's black SCCA solo II AAR. Now, here in the Chicago area, at the Joliet Rt 66 Autobahn, for the wknd of Oct 6-7, 2012, the Midwest Council of Sports Car Clubs is hosting one of their seaon hi-speed auto-x on Sat, then Sun I will be the Pace Car for their w2w races... how cool is that... a Chall T/A as Pace Car (been doing it recently for past few years... come on out on Sat and race with us (Sat is the hi-speed solo... easy class rules... just a safe car is needed!!!)... the President of the hosting club that wknd owns a vintage 67 BCuda that is Gurneyized for GT1/TransAm racing... very coolllll! I'd love to go out tto the Calif Spring Fling and run the hi-speed course with them and my T/A... but I/we are working on something similar in the midwest, such as through another hosting club... costs are involved for site rental (yes, even parking lots, etc, and road courses)... insurance, etc. One of my dreams is to have a regual all-mopar autocross held at the mopar nats or similar location.... heck, I'd even volunteer to organize and run the whole thing.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: joshking440] #1267855
07/17/12 01:17 PM
07/17/12 01:17 PM
Indy
J
joshking440 Offline
Lunch is on me!
joshking440  Offline
Lunch is on me!
J

Indy
Quote:

If the circle track at Lucas Oil Raceway in Indianapolis would suit your needs, I would volunteer the space Sept 21-23

I know they hold some drift competitions there on the track, so laying out curves is a possibilty

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1267856
07/18/12 05:32 AM
07/18/12 05:32 AM
Central Ohio
rtidd440 Offline
super street
rtidd440  Offline
super street

Central Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is there any interest in getting a group together for an all "Mopar" autocross or road race? I think we could get a track that might be willing to sponsor an off season weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts on making something like this happen? I am hoping that those of us that are building maybe able see and experience those that have been sucessful. I am thinking of something that is mid rocky mountain area or midwest...Tim

Tim, that is a very neat idea and I'd love to see something like this in teh middle of the country, but there are a host of issues that would prevent it from hapening.

IMO, the best approach would be to try and incorporate it into an existing event. See if the Mopar Nats guys would want to add it or if some other substantial mopar event that has good attendance figures could add it. If they don't currently offer it, they are going to want someone to head it up, organize it, handle all the logistcs of the layout, operation, and running of that aspect of the event, so you'll have to have a plan of attack outside of simply asking someone to add it to an event.

Mid Ohio is about an hour from Columbus....

Mid Ohio is pretty booked up with car events and motorcycle track days etc. I'm guessing that it doesnt come cheap either. Now if you REALLY want to see how tough your car is, theres always Nelson Ledges.

Rob 70 Swinger 340 4spd FC7 4 sale 69 Charger auto Q5 14 Challenger SRT8 Core 6spd black Deposit on Hellcat
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: autoxcuda] #1267857
07/18/12 10:55 AM
07/18/12 10:55 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

Well from my experience putting on events, there more going on than failure in a highly populated state.

That is somewhat to the point I'm trying to make. Simply saying lets get an all mopar event together isn't as simple as saying lets get an all mopar event together.

As I'm sure you know, if your going to organize your own event, there are a considerable amount of logistics to consider, not the least of which is location. If you're going to rent a track for a day, there is not just the track rental its self, which is expensive, but also insurance and possibly emergency crews and other coverages you may have to pay for such as barricades, concessions, as well as date constraints, or who knows what as it likely varies from track to track. So you need to have enough participants to cover all these expenses. Chose a track where you can't draw enough crowd, and you don't have enough money for the rental.

If you don't want to do all the work it takes to put on your own event, then you have to be willing to show this as a profitable endevour to some other organization to be willing to take it on. Just because we love cars doesn't mean there are people out there willing to volunteer massive amount of time for us to have fun. Some of these entities want to make money. Profit motive interests these orgnaizations.

Then you run into requirements. Some tracks in my area flat out won't let you run in open track days unless you are a member of some already established road racing orgnaization or have written documentation of prior track experience. I'm sure that isn't the case every where, but if your trying to find a value priced venue, they may slap you with that to reduce their liability.

Unfortunatly I think a number of newbie handling guys simply think autocross and road race are the same just on different size tracks. While they are, toa degree, it also isn't just that simple. Road racing is not like bracket racing at the drags where you pay your money and you drop the hammer. Road racing, even as a fun day putting around a course, is a potentially high speed event with the possibility of severe injury that carries a lot of liability. Autocross is a low speed, high transition effort that doesn't require a lot of space hence, it doesn't have the speeds and distance to get really hairy, by comparison. Track organizers know this and build rates and events accordingly.

While I would love to see an event of this type more centraly located (hence closer to me), the simple fact is dropping it in the middle of the country doesn't assure you success. You need to put it more central to the population centers of the enthusiasts who will join it rather than centralize it geographically. Case in point, the East Coast Timing Assoc moved their primary event from North Carolina to Ohio this year and saw record attendance levels.

FWIW, I'm within a days drive to 8 different road tracks. But even with that, I can't say I've been to all of them, and aside from Miller, most have never had any substantial world class events at them. They are simply too far away from the racing population centers to be huge successes that way.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: astjp2] #1267858
07/18/12 11:24 AM
07/18/12 11:24 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

I was thinking of this track...7 hours from denver, 6 from Vegas, 4 from Boise, 10 from Reno, 8 from Pheonix, 200 mph capable, mid rocky mountain track....They also do drivers training....

Very nice track. Also just east of the rockies are:

http://www.highplainsraceway.com/
http://www.ppir.com/
http://www.pueblomotorsportspark.us/
http://www.racemph.com/
http://www.sandiamotorsports.com/

Coming soon:
http://www.genoamotorsports.com/

And a few we've lost:
Second Creek Raceway
Continental Divide Raceway
Stapleton Raceway

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: TC@HP2] #1267859
07/18/12 01:09 PM
07/18/12 01:09 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
IMO, for an "all-Mopar" AUTOCROSS (parking lot style, small-meduim size course of about 35-45, maybe 60 seconds maximum, with speeds averaging about 45mph), the best attendance would be at an "all-Mopar" gathering, like a major car show (Mopar Nats, Chryslers at Carlisle, others) but it has to be well advertisd and promoted. A reasonably good smooth pavement (asphalt or concrete) has to be utilized. Pylons would be typically used to designate the course, unless there is an actual track, such as at Carlisle (and they can still use a few pylons to alter the straights a little... and have about 2-laps). As refernce, look at what the "Good-Guys" do with their autocross events (typically a small course and with 2-laps... I'd like to see larger and longer courses). At a point in time, if "competition" would become a reality, we could establish rules and classes, but at first, we could be very simple, perhaps based only on the various car bodies. Putting on a parking-lot-style autocross would very likely still require some liability insurance cost (~$1000 or more). Putting on a "road course" lapping event (where speeds would be higher at about 70 mph average) would cost tremendously more, such as an easy $5-10-15-20K and up; hooking up with a club that has already established itself would be the best bet for low-cost. I still favor having an "autocross" of low-medium speeds in conjunction with an "all-Mopar" gathering lioke Mopar Nats, Carlisle and others -- some Mopar clubs are pretty large and could possibly host an autocross given the allowable site and good people with experience and desire to run it.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1267860
07/18/12 01:40 PM
07/18/12 01:40 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

IMO, for an "all-Mopar" AUTOCROSS (parking lot style, small-meduim size course of about 35-45, maybe 60 seconds maximum, with speeds averaging about 45mph), the best attendance would be at an "all-Mopar" gathering, like a major car show (Mopar Nats, Chryslers at Carlisle, others) but it has to be well advertisd and promoted. A reasonably good smooth pavement (asphalt or concrete) has to be utilized. Pylons would be typically used to designate the course, unless there is an actual track, such as at Carlisle (and they can still use a few pylons to alter the straights a little... and have about 2-laps). As refernce, look at what the "Good-Guys" do with their autocross events (typically a small course and with 2-laps... I'd like to see larger and longer courses). At a point in time, if "competition" would become a reality, we could establish rules and classes, but at first, we could be very simple, perhaps based only on the various car bodies. Putting on a parking-lot-style autocross would very likely still require some liability insurance cost (~$1000 or more). Putting on a "road course" lapping event (where speeds would be higher at about 70 mph average) would cost tremendously more, such as an easy $5-10-15-20K and up; hooking up with a club that has already established itself would be the best bet for low-cost. I still favor having an "autocross" of low-medium speeds in conjunction with an "all-Mopar" gathering lioke Mopar Nats, Carlisle and others -- some Mopar clubs are pretty large and could possibly host an autocross given the allowable site and good people with experience and desire to run it.

I sounded like the one Hotchkis did at Carlise was a small course. But it was at least something.

I think they didn't allow any other cars to run other than the Hotchkis cars, with their drivers. Maybe they are working on allowing other cars? Maybe contact Carlisle with a list of people that would like to attend and pay to run thier cars in an autocross if opened to other cars.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: autoxcuda] #1267861
07/18/12 01:50 PM
07/18/12 01:50 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I sounded like the one Hotchkis did at Carlise was a small course. But it was at least something.

I think they didn't allow any other cars to run other than the Hotchkis cars, with their drivers. Maybe they are working on allowing other cars? Maybe contact Carlisle with a list of people that would like to attend and pay to run thier cars in an autocross if opened to other cars.

The course at Carlisle was tight with too little run off for the insurance to cover any other drivers. That said we were seeing about 44-46 seconds a run and speeds of 58-61mph. We spoke with one of the owners of the property and there is some discussion of them slabbing a portion of the property for this kind of event. Who knows what the future holds, but for now we are planning to continue our tradition of bringing autocross to the masses. Mopars should be seen in motion! As the Vegas crowd knows when the venue is capable, we welcome all comers.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1267862
07/18/12 04:58 PM
07/18/12 04:58 PM
central CT
cudazappa Offline
super stock
cudazappa  Offline
super stock

central CT
Dan, was/is there any talk about taking it off site?

There are many parking lots in Carlisle that are designed for big rigs (near exit 52 off of I81) and at the kick off show thursday night the back lot looked ok (by the time I got there it was late, so my eyes/memory might be embellishing the size)

1971 Challenger
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: cudazappa] #1267863
07/20/12 02:45 AM
07/20/12 02:45 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
We are always on the lookout for new spots to play while in town for an event, however the same rules apply, as far as making sure that property owners and participants are covered. Our main reason for not wanting to move it off site is because then we get little to no foot traffic. The first 2 years of MATS was a good example of this. Most people couldn't find us or knew where we were, or even knew what we were doing. If people have to walk a mile to come spectate, chances are they won't bother.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1267864
07/20/12 01:20 PM
07/20/12 01:20 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline OP
master
astjp2  Offline OP
master

Utah and Alaska
There is a Targa race in Utah, I am trying to get a copy of the poster, if anyone is interested, give me a shout. I will try to get it from the even organizers. Its a timed race to checkpoints. Tim

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: astjp2] #1267865
07/20/12 01:23 PM
07/20/12 01:23 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
Quote:

There is a Targa race in Utah, I am trying to get a copy of the poster, if anyone is interested, give me a shout. I will try to get it from the even organizers. Its a timed race to checkpoints. Tim

By all means, POST IT HERE when you get all the info.

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3