07/14/12 04:39 PM
07/14/12 04:39 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline OP
master
astjp2  Offline OP
master

Utah and Alaska
Is there any interest in getting a group together for an all "Mopar" autocross or road race? I think we could get a track that might be willing to sponsor an off season weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts on making something like this happen? I am hoping that those of us that are building maybe able see and experience those that have been sucessful. I am thinking of something that is mid rocky mountain area or midwest...Tim

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: astjp2] #1267827
07/14/12 05:20 PM
07/14/12 05:20 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Is there any interest in getting a group together for an all "Mopar" autocross or road race? I think we could get a track that might be willing to sponsor an off season weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts on making something like this happen? I am hoping that those of us that are building maybe able see and experience those that have been sucessful. I am thinking of something that is mid rocky mountain area or midwest...Tim

We have been doing it for SIX YEARS now! Come join us.

Spring Fling Speed Festival at Willow Springs Raceway. All Mopar track day. Held the Thursday before Spring Fling Mopar event in Van Nuys, CA. We have paid instructors for newies and anyone asking advice. Very open atmosphere to exchange ideas and experiences. All Mopars welcome from slant 6's to competition Vipers to vintage Nascar racers!

Cars have come from Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alberta Canada, British Columbia Canada, and Colorado.

The pictures below are only from the inaugural Spring Fling Speed Festival in 2007.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 07/14/12 05:34 PM.
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: autoxcuda] #1267828
07/14/12 06:24 PM
07/14/12 06:24 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Steve, that looks like a kick in the pants! racing alonside a Wing car at triple digit speeds... Wahhhooooo!!!

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: astjp2] #1267829
07/14/12 07:25 PM
07/14/12 07:25 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
MPH in Hastings NE has a nice course they rent

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: astjp2] #1267830
07/14/12 08:40 PM
07/14/12 08:40 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Yes I have interest, and Spring Fling is way up on my list, but work seems to always interfere. And of course from So Fla to Ca, is a haul, maybe float the idea of "bracketing" Spring fling weekend, and get more cars. But it would have to be real road course, autocross just would not cut it for me.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: jcc] #1267831
07/14/12 08:44 PM
07/14/12 08:44 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Yes I have interest, and Spring Fling is way up on my list, but work seems to always interfere. And of course from So Fla to Ca, is a haul, maybe float the idea of "bracketing" Spring fling weekend, and get more cars. But it would have to be real road course, autocross just would not cut it for me.

I'm not following what you mean by "bracketing"?

Willow Springs is a big road course. Elevation changes and big straights. Large car friendly. Not as hard on brakes as some places.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: autoxcuda] #1267832
07/14/12 08:47 PM
07/14/12 08:47 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Sorry, the weekend before, or the weekend after.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: jcc] #1267833
07/14/12 08:57 PM
07/14/12 08:57 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Sorry, the weekend before, or the weekend after.

You mean as opposed to on a Thursday 2 days before the show?

Weekend track rentals are much more expensive. So you need more cars and less track time. And having it the weekend before would be a large gap for people to stay over.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: autoxcuda] #1267834
07/14/12 09:05 PM
07/14/12 09:05 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
My thinking is those that travel to "Fling", would also travel the to midwest area, and since many work weekdays, few would want to layover, only layover prospects would be long haulers like myself, and there is plenty of sightseeing to do in this part of the country. Those that commute to both events would have the advantage of having cars prepped and ready for track time for two weekends, Regarding more cars making less track time, that's kinda the idea right, or are we talkng sparse track time? Extra costs for weekend being justified, I don't know.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: jcc] #1267835
07/14/12 09:12 PM
07/14/12 09:12 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

My thinking is those that travel to "Fling", would also travel the to midwest area, and since many work weekdays, few would want to layover, only layover prospects would be long haulers like myself, and there is plenty of sightseeing to do in this part of the country. Those that commute to both events would have the advantage of having cars prepped and ready for track time for two weekends, Regarding more cars making less track time, that's kinda the idea right, or are we talkng sparse track time? Extra costs for weekend being justified, I don't know.

Ok, I think I see now. Like having another event midway on the trip so you could do two track events in two differnt tracks. On back to back weekends.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: astjp2] #1267836
07/15/12 03:12 PM
07/15/12 03:12 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

Tim, that is a very neat idea and I'd love to see something like this in teh middle of the country, but there are a host of issues that would prevent it from hapening.

IMO, the best approach would be to try and incorporate it into an existing event. See if the Mopar Nats guys would want to add it or if some other substantial mopar event that has good attendance figures could add it. If they don't currently offer it, they are going to want someone to head it up, organize it, handle all the logistcs of the layout, operation, and running of that aspect of the event, so you'll have to have a plan of attack outside of simply asking someone to add it to an event.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: TC@HP2] #1267837
07/15/12 03:27 PM
07/15/12 03:27 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Quote:

Tim, that is a very neat idea and I'd love to see something like this in teh middle of the country, but there are a host of issues that would prevent it from hapening.

IMO, the best approach would be to try and incorporate it into an existing event. See if the Mopar Nats guys would want to add it or if some other substantial mopar event that has good attendance figures could add it. If they don't currently offer it, they are going to want someone to head it up, organize it, handle all the logistcs of the layout, operation, and running of that aspect of the event, so you'll have to have a plan of attack outside of simply asking someone to add it to an event.

Mid Ohio is about an hour from Columbus....

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1267838
07/15/12 04:25 PM
07/15/12 04:25 PM
Las Vegas, NV
dodgeboy11 Offline
super stock
dodgeboy11  Offline
super stock

Las Vegas, NV
I'm just throwing out a couple track locations. My car is not ready for anything right now, but perhaps this would help a few of you come up with some ideas. I know Las Vegas has some sort of road course. I don't know if it's considered autocross or what, but it looks fairly interesting. I don't know if during Mopars at the Strip something could be put together or if it already has been done. Just an idea. Also, up in Fernley, NV, there is a multitude of tracks. I don't know the specifics, but I have seen the track and it looks like a lot of fun. Right off of I80 so getting there isn't too difficult. I don't know what their rates are, but again, just throwing out possible locations for a gathering.
http://www.renofernleyracetrack.com/

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: dodgeboy11] #1267839
07/15/12 05:06 PM
07/15/12 05:06 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I'm just throwing out a couple track locations. My car is not ready for anything right now, but perhaps this would help a few of you come up with some ideas. I know Las Vegas has some sort of road course. I don't know if it's considered autocross or what, but it looks fairly interesting. I don't know if during Mopars at the Strip something could be put together or if it already has been done. Just an idea. Also, up in Fernley, NV, there is a multitude of tracks. I don't know the specifics, but I have seen the track and it looks like a lot of fun. Right off of I80 so getting there isn't too difficult. I don't know what their rates are, but again, just throwing out possible locations for a gathering.

Las Vegas to Willow Springs is only 4 hours drive. We allready have a full funtioning established event.

It's not easy to get a full field of Mopars to a track event to cover the rental and cornerworkers fees. It's a task to get the cars we get.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: autoxcuda] #1267840
07/15/12 05:40 PM
07/15/12 05:40 PM
Texas
D
Daty Rogers Offline
World's Greatest Husband. I love you Robyn
Daty Rogers  Offline
World's Greatest Husband. I love you Robyn
D

Texas
OOhhh... Tim Werner's Valiant!

-Daty

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: dodgeboy11] #1267841
07/15/12 07:10 PM
07/15/12 07:10 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

We have been sponsoring an Autocross event at Mopars at the Strip for the last 3 years.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: dodgeboy11] #1267842
07/15/12 10:00 PM
07/15/12 10:00 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
...and anyone who has been into mopars for more than a dozen years will remember all the groaning and complaining when the Nats moved from Ohio to Indiana. If a couple hour relocation of a major event like the Nats caused a riff to attendance, then there is no way you're going to get much attendance at all to an all mopar, road race specific event outside of already established major events, IMO.

Autocross may be another story. All you need for that is a large parking lot and someone with some set up experience to put together that art of an event. That is why ADDING it to a established event will give you a ghost of a chance of having particiation compared to setting up a mopar specific road track event somewhere. However, you run into the issue of how do you bracket what can be wildly divergently built cars to make it a fair event, should you offer trophies of prizes.

Here is an good example of good intentions with poor results; there is a group on protouring.com that sets up the "Run to the xxxx" events. They have multiple day activities with numerous cruises and the occasional track forays. They attract and invite all makes, yet when they set up and hosted an event in Texas, they barely covered their expenses. Texas has 25 million people, or simply put, the greatest population concentration of any state between the Missippi River and Calfornia. If some guys who set up and run these tyes of events can't make a go of it in a place like Texas, I'd say its long odds to pull off an all mopar handling event that isn't tied into some other major mopar event.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: TC@HP2] #1267843
07/15/12 11:27 PM
07/15/12 11:27 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

...snip...
Here is an good example of good intentions with poor results; there is a group on protouring.com that sets up the "Run to the xxxx" events. They have multiple day activities with numerous cruises and the occasional track forays. They attract and invite all makes, yet when they set up and hosted an event in Texas, they barely covered their expenses. Texas has 25 million people, or simply put, the greatest population concentration of any state between the Missippi River and Calfornia. If some guys who set up and run these tyes of events can't make a go of it in a place like Texas, I'd say its long odds to pull off an all mopar handling event that isn't tied into some other major mopar event.

Well from my experience putting on events, there more going on than failure in a highly populated state.

1) Texas is a BIG state. But it's spread out. Population concentration gives you more potentional attendees without long travel distances. That particular event was close San Antonio; not particularly a metropolis.

2) The RTTC events are a money making business run by the American Street Car Series (ASCS) banner/company. They just can't break even to justify their existence. They rely on heavily on outside sponsorship and media support. They need large car counts to cover expensive weekend rental rates on road racing tracks. Thing is, running your car on a typical weekend track day is usually $200 and more. That’s just a basic deal, not an ASCS event with all the slaloms, brakes test, etc that take manpower ($$$).

4) There is now a bunch of Run To The “xxx” events. So they are spreading there selves thin and saturating things. They had one event from 2005 to 2010. Now they’ve added four of event venues in a 2 year time period. There are only so much sponsorship money and attendees to cover that rapid growth.

5) They ran before they walked. The RTTC events are complicated multi-faceted events (costly) with cruises, dinners, shows, autocrosses, etc etc. The use of the K.I.S.S. principal goes a long way toward long term success. But that principal doesn't work so well with a business model.

6) These events are expensive to participate in. It’s $200 and above to run at a typical Track Day or ASCS event. Now you get much more actual time, runs, laps, and sessions than you would get at a typical dragstrip event. It’s like a limited bunch of guys renting a dragstrip from 8-5 and not ever having more than 2 cars ahead of you. I’d think that would cost similar a track day. So it’s great value, but the high threshold cost scares a lot of people away.

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: autoxcuda] #1267844
07/16/12 01:25 AM
07/16/12 01:25 AM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline OP
master
astjp2  Offline OP
master

Utah and Alaska
I was thinking of this track...7 hours from denver, 6 from Vegas, 4 from Boise, 10 from Reno, 8 from Pheonix, 200 mph capable, mid rocky mountain track....They also do drivers training....

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/

Re: All Mopar Autocross? [Re: astjp2] #1267845
07/16/12 03:05 AM
07/16/12 03:05 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I was thinking of this track...7 hours from denver, 6 from Vegas, 4 from Boise, 10 from Reno, 8 from Pheonix, 200 mph capable, mid rocky mountain track....They also do drivers training....

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/

Very cool track.

IMHO, Wide Open Wednesdays is the way to go! $25 to run you car. Is that time limited or per session? Seems like a flaming deal.

Problem is the one day travel to and then one day back from all of those cities mentioned. There's not a lot of population to draw from in that area.

But I'd try finding a core group of interested Mopar guys that are relatively close. You'll need a healthy dose of late model Challenger, Charger, and Viper people. What about just getting a Mopar group of locals to go out on a Wide Open Wednesday to start?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3