T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

There ya have it, theres always another side to every story.

Hope this gets resolved.

REALLY?..........

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Moparnut426] #1230206
05/09/12 03:25 PM
05/09/12 03:25 PM
long time lurker, short time p...
P
PorkyPig Offline
mopar
PorkyPig  Offline
mopar
P

Quote:

Hope this gets resolved.

Lets see - Customer thinks Builder did a poor job and doesnt want to give him another chance and Builder feels burned by Customer for going public with complaints without even attempting to have them resolved.

I think I have a better chance at solving world peace than those guys do at resolving this deal.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: PorkyPig] #1230207
05/09/12 03:26 PM
05/09/12 03:26 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
I said HOPE, not im sure it will LOL

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Moparnut426] #1230208
05/09/12 03:33 PM
05/09/12 03:33 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

I was refering to the "two sides to every story" part................

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Thumperdart] #1230209
05/09/12 03:42 PM
05/09/12 03:42 PM
P
PorkyPig Offline
mopar
PorkyPig  Offline
mopar
P

Quote:

Quote:

Its still two sides if Customer is claiming the lifters failed because of Builders spring choice and Builder says Customer provided used lifters of unknown history that may have already been hammered on before being put into use.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: PorkyPig] #1230210
05/09/12 03:46 PM
05/09/12 03:46 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Its still two sides if Customer is claiming the lifters failed because of Builders spring choice and Builder says Customer provided used lifters of unknown history that may have already been hammered on before being put into use.

I dont see how a lifter link bar can fail because of incorrect springs.

I would think that if the lifter was getting into the block too far and the link bars were hitting the block then Ryan would have machined the lifter bores to clear the link bars.

I cant make it work in my head how the springs caused a failed lifter from them hitting....

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: PorkyPig] #1230211
05/09/12 03:47 PM
05/09/12 03:47 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In the original post there were several more issues(apparently)found and that`s what I`m refering to not the used lifters which are only one of the many issues found. Wasn`t there so just responding to what I read..............Peace.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Moparnut426] #1230212
05/09/12 03:59 PM
05/09/12 03:59 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
these things are rarely anything less than ugly. i have no affiliation with, nor do i know either of those involved so i take no position on this particular situation.

what i can say without question is that i personally know of a couple engines one of which i ended up working on that had such major unacceptable workmanship it's hard to describe.

both of these engines came from large nationally recognized shops (racing at professional levels) that just about anyone involved in drag racing would know of. one of the engines (not the one i worked on) ended up grenading.

having seen the two engines i did coming from the shops i mentioned left me horrified.

competition engine building can be a real risky business for both the builder and customer. often customers do or want to supply some or all of the components which in itself can lead to problems.

then the builder has no control over how the engine is handled after it leaves their shop. not a blanket statement nor directed to this situation but if a person doesn't have the ability to build their own engine (sans machine work) how can one know if they're even qualified to run and maintain it?

i've had many people approach me over the years about building engines and i've only done a handful. it's really bothered me to say no but the fear of these types of situations dissuades me from doing them.

the builder can never be certain or have control of what the customer does with the engine when it leaves their shop and the customer is at the mercy that the builder will deliver a properly assembled engine.

to make matters worse everyone makes mistakes and parts do fail. the builder can make a mistakes on assembly and/or the customer can make mistakes with their operation of the engine.

as much as i've always wanted to get into this business it's a tough crowd.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Thumperdart] #1230213
05/09/12 04:00 PM
05/09/12 04:00 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
Builder says customer supplied the (possible used) lifters and the (overlength) valves.
Customer says the lifters broke and would not slide out of the engine. Also says the springs were too tall. Builder says the customer supplied parts dictated the springs available at the time.
Customer says he did not like the assembly. The only fact provided here was the balancer, which I also don't like.
Customer runs engine at high (8000) RPM. Admits that the valve lash was not checked as frequently as it should have been.
I completely understand not wanting to send the engine back to the builder if faith is lost. Maybe the builder has a policy that they must be the only one to perform the post-mortem. That is not mentioned here.
However, if you can't even discuss issues with the builder, it's MHO that it should not be discussed in a public forum either. The builder has no idea there is a problem and is unable to address it.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: jamesc] #1230214
05/09/12 04:18 PM
05/09/12 04:18 PM
Syracuse,NY
CompWedgeEngines Offline
master
CompWedgeEngines  Offline
master

Syracuse,NY
Quote:

these things are rarely anything less than ugly. i have no affiliation with, nor do i know either of those involved so i take no position on this particular situation.

what i can say without question is that i personally know of a couple engines one of which i ended up working on that had such major unacceptable workmanship it's hard to describe.

both of these engines came from large nationally recognized shops (racing at professional levels) that just about anyone involved in drag racing would know of. one of the engines (not the one i worked on) ended up grenading.

having seen the two engines i did coming from the shops i mentioned left me horrified.

competition engine building can be a real risky business for both the builder and customer. often customers do or want to supply some or all of the components which in itself can lead to problems.

then the builder has no control over how the engine is handled after it leaves their shop. not a blanket statement nor directed to this situation but if a person doesn't have the ability to build their own engine (sans machine work) how can one know if they're even qualified to run and maintain it?

i've had many people approach me over the years about building engines and i've only done a handful. it's really bothered me to say no but the fear of these types of situations dissuades me from doing them.

the builder can never be certain or have control of what the customer does with the engine when it leaves their shop and the customer is at the mercy that the builder will deliver a properly assembled engine.

to make matters worse everyone makes mistakes and parts do fail. the builder can make a mistakes on assembly and/or the customer can make mistakes with their operation of the engine.

as much as i've always wanted to get into this business it's a tough crowd.

Off topic a touch here...

James, very well said. You get it. Its a very slippery slope, not nearly rewarding enough financially, and truer words could not have been spoken. to you for understanding it( not necessarily this particular situation...but in general) all.

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: 408strokerdart] #1230215
05/09/12 08:03 PM
05/09/12 08:03 PM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Well, since this is all out in the wind, are the lifters used of what? Surely you didnt..

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: RyanJ] #1230216
05/09/12 08:04 PM
05/09/12 08:04 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
I read your response, you state "by looking at the invoice..". I keep notes the whole time I am building an engine, as to any problems, things I have doubts/questions about, etc. It is not on a computer, it is hand written, dated, hour of the day, etc. This has saved me alot of problems over the years. If a customer has a problem with something, or thinks he is having a problem with something, or sees something a year later that he thinks is becoming a problem, I can look back at my notes and usually have a good idea what is happening. I am not busting anybody's chops here, just saying that I need more information than their old invoice when I talk to them. You can be 'REAL' sure, if any used parts, supplied by the customer, were involved in my builds, there will be notes to show that and any reccomendations I gave at the time. Hope this all works out. I have always said, "satisfied customers are never heard from, but, one unhappy customer is heard 'round the world".

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Thumperdart] #1230217
05/09/12 11:03 PM
05/09/12 11:03 PM
Out West
408strokerdart Offline OP
master
408strokerdart  Offline OP
master

Out West
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Accidents and oversights is going to happen.. doesnt matter who you are and what your reputation is..

IMO what most important is those that stand up and take responsibility when they do screw up.. I'd like to know what Shady Dell has said to you about this mishap..

I have not contacted the shop. I know myself to well as to the action I might take if the result was not satisfactory so I choose not to. There is no excuse for the mistakes made. Looks like a high schooler put it together, only with parts he couldn't afford himself.

Man, this sucks for sure and hopefully you`ll be in good hands now. I`ve heard interesting things about your "builder" and I`ll keep em under my hat unless you want to pm me. I hope you EXCEED your goals and that this can be put to rest although I doubt it and sure would like to hear Ryans side............. PETTIS PERFORMANCE............just ask Chris, Al and others.........one of the best hands down.

Seems that most of the best builders in the country spend their time making horsepower rather than posting about how great they are. I absolutely agree that there are fantastic builders out there.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: 408strokerdart] #1230218
05/09/12 11:18 PM
05/09/12 11:18 PM
milton pa
M
mikegeyer340 Offline
mikegeyer340  Offline
M

milton pa
Look im not sure exactly what went on in this situation , i have a engine built by shady dell any issues i ever had ryan was top notch in making sure that they were taken care of!!!
Ryan is one of the better engine builders in the country and i would have him build me another one without thinking twice

75 dart sport 340 ? @ ? shady dell 418 ci 73 challenger 440 12.93 @ 106 (gone)
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: FlyFish] #1230219
05/09/12 11:23 PM
05/09/12 11:23 PM
Out West
master
master

Out West
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Accidents and oversights is going to happen.. doesnt matter who you are and what your reputation is..

IMO what most important is those that stand up and take responsibility when they do screw up.. I'd like to know what Shady Dell has said to you about this mishap..

I have not contacted the shop. I know myself to well as to the action I might take if the result was not satisfactory so I choose not to. There is no excuse for the mistakes made. Looks like a high schooler put it together, only with parts he couldn't afford himself.

If you are just stating facts, then please get your own story strait:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

Quote:

Quote:

When did you check the lash prior to discovering this?

About 40 passes ago.

At the top of this post you claim to lash your valves ~ every 20 passes.

Everyone makes mistakes, sometimes BIG mistakes, it is how they are dealt with that matters more to me. The fact that you have not even contacted the builder (Shady Dell) and decided to trash them publicly is VERY poor form indeed. Give the man a chance to at least TRY to set things right....there are usually 2 sides to a story.

Getting the "story" straight is easy. I lash the valves every 20 passes (guess I mis-typed before).

Not really sure why everyone expects me to contact the original builder. The heads have been fixed, the block has been fixed, crank fixed, pistons are geting coated,rods are being made, new cam has been bought and ground, etc... Shadydell is 1300 miles from me...maybe I load the engine up and take it by his shop? Or maybe I can ship it to the one who screwed the pooch in the first place, that couldn't cost more than $400 to $500 each way. Or maybe he will just cut me a check to fix all of the damage....$6,500 will cover it if I take nothing for my time.

Maybe you should get some facts about reality. Possibly you would like to send him a big donation so he can right his mistakes? Looks like you get the title of bleeding heart liberal #2.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: B3422W5] #1230220
05/09/12 11:25 PM
05/09/12 11:25 PM
Out West
master
master

Out West
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I will not return my parts to someone (even on their dime) if they already proved they couldn't get it right the first time. These fundamental errors were there from the start.

I have not contacted the shop. I know myself to well as to the action I might take if the result was not satisfactory so I choose not to.

Are you saying that you haven't even contacted Ryan about this now-public issue and his first knowledge of it will probably be reading it on here?

I think what the OP is saying is that the mistakes made are just flat stupid, and the fact the motor was put together like that seriously undermines the OP's ability to trust anything the builder could do to make things right.
I had issue as well with the same builder over several different things with work i had done, but its water under the bridge now.

I give the OP a ton of credit for correctly pointing out what he did.

Thanks.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Moparnut426] #1230221
05/09/12 11:38 PM
Out West
master
master

Out West
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you are just stating facts, then please get your own story strait:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

Quote:

Quote:

When did you check the lash prior to discovering this?

About 40 passes ago.

At the top of this post you claim to lash your valves ~ every 20 passes.

Everyone makes mistakes, sometimes BIG mistakes, it is how they are dealt with that matters more to me. The fact that you have not even contacted the builder (Shady Dell) and decided to trash them publicly is VERY poor form indeed. Give the man a chance to at least TRY to set things right....there are usually 2 sides to a story.

I agree about contacting him prior to posting, but this dude isnt worried about sending his stuff back to someone who messed it up in the first place, If he was worried about the cost, which he dosnt seem to be, then take it back to the origional guy. But in this case, he is PISSED, and just wants a running engine again. As for seeing what Ryan will do about it, thats up to him and the customer. I havent seen a peep out of Ryan in a while, I dont know if we will hear anything on this post from him either.

Ryan knows of the issues and has since my first post about my tear down. He either sent PM's to some people or sent some email to a few select folks. I got nothing.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: 408strokerdart] #1230222
north cakalaky
I
instigator Offline
super stock
instigator  Offline
super stock
I

north cakalaky
A 4 year old motor.......oh my god.....50 passes or 5 passes......something broke......you speculate what happened..and I use that loosely....and then bash someone 4 years later....I sure wish I could type what I am really thinking.....I would probably be booted....

some people I have no desire to deal with and you would be one of those types.

65 Barracuda
All aluminum Indy HEMI with some boost!
COMING TO A TRACK NEAR YOU!

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: 408strokerdart] #1230223
05/09/12 11:41 PM
05/09/12 11:41 PM
milton pa
M
mikegeyer340 Offline
mikegeyer340  Offline
M

milton pa
Maybe next time you will not be so cheap and buy new rocker arms and lifters. Expensive lesson

75 dart sport 340 ? @ ? shady dell 418 ci 73 challenger 440 12.93 @ 106 (gone)
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: 408strokerdart] #1230224
05/09/12 11:49 PM
05/09/12 11:49 PM
nc
E
emarine01 Offline
master
emarine01  Offline
master
E

nc
Wow.... This is a little off the norm for moparts.... I was really trying not to get involved in this one, But....What the hell caused the dark intake ports on the loose rockers.... Someone on the planet must have a good theory ...

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10