metro detroit
T
turner Offline OP
enthusiast
turner  Offline OP
enthusiast
T

metro detroit
I will be adding NOS to my car this year and have a few questions on wich kit to buy and how the system will be triggered. My car is a 67 Barracuda that runs 11 teens with a 440/cnc ported eddy heads, .580 lift cam, 900cfm carb and a 3500 Coan convertor. I currently launch off a two step at 2300 rpms, then at release of my two step, WOT will occur and my NOS will then be activated, is what I am assuming will occur. I was intending on running my trigger wire for power ON to the system through a low fuel pressure switch, so that if I have no fuel pressure my system will not work, does this sound like the correct way to install and will this come in the kit or do I have purchase this extra? I plan to add a Holley blue pump to supply fuel for the NOS system, I currently run a Holley billet black pump for the engine now.My current pump is key activated because of the street driving, but I intend to put a switch in for the blue pump....or should the main NOS ON/OFF switch be used? I built the engine with a 150 shot of NOS in mind, wich kit should I purchase? I dont think I would want to be shooting more than a 200 shot, wich of the kits and sylenoids will suit me best?

7054458-forsale.JPG (42 downloads)
Re: Nitrous kit questions [Re: turner] #1172425
02/05/12 12:27 PM
02/05/12 12:27 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
I'd recommend an NOS Cross Hair and I'd recommend to get it through Monte Smith Performance.............

IMHO, you don't need the low fuel pressure switch......that's only for those guys that run too much timing and use a rich tuneup to keep it from detonating........

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......
Re: Nitrous kit questions [Re: Big Squeeze] #1172426
02/05/12 03:00 PM
02/05/12 03:00 PM
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
Realizing Monte does not suggest low pressure switches I am going to make this point.

The only time a low pressure switch is a problem is when you install it on the low pressure side of your fuel regulator. Most regulators will have fuel pressure spikes and drops. They are just part of it.

If you run the switch set to open at your nitrous fuel pressure on the high pressure side of the regulator things work great. It's simple most modern regulators have a gauge port for the fuel pump pressure. Most pumps have the same thing. Adjust the switch to 5-10 psi, whatever your tuneup is. But, install in one of these two locations. You can even put a trap circuit and a light on it to tell you if it ever dropped out if it is important to you.

Many have lost races installing these things next to the fuel soleniod. You run 5 psi and the pressure drops for an instance and kicks the nitrous off. If you put it in the right place you have 20+ psi and it will never kick out unless your pumps takes a dump. And that is what it is for.

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Re: Nitrous kit questions [Re: Leon441] #1172427
02/05/12 03:08 PM
02/05/12 03:08 PM
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
if you are leaving the line at 2500 I would not let the nitrous come on at that RPM. Some engines make big bangs when you do that.

I have not done it yet but an RPM window switch seems like a great idea for activating nitrous.

Whatever you do make sure you have a wide open throttle switch.

Just remember you have two sides of the electrical for the nitrous system. One is the high current side. Your main system switch and solenoids is the only thing on this circuit. Two you have the control side which is the low current side. Low pressure switch, throttle switch, timers, and what ever else you may use to determine when the nitrous is on or off is on this side.

If you are using a simple bosch relay. 85 and 86 are the terminals to the coil which is the switching side. All of the low current switching is controlling whether you are energizing the coil in the relay or not. Pin 30 is the main power terminal which in most is the heal contact in these relays. 87 is the front contact which gets is switched on whenever the relay is engized and this would go to your solenoids. If you want to make sure the nitrous can not work when on the transbrake or line lock PM me and you will need another relay and use 87A terminal.

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Re: Nitrous kit questions [Re: Big Squeeze] #1172428
02/05/12 03:25 PM
02/05/12 03:25 PM
Camillus N.Y
R
rollerfork Offline
rollerfork  Offline
R

Camillus N.Y
If you already have a bottle and line you could go with Edelbrock 70021 - Edelbrock Performer plate. It comes with the plate, 2 large solenoids, lines and jets for 100 t0 250 Hp for around $195.00 at Jegs. I run one and it works great. just my

Re: Nitrous kit questions [Re: rollerfork] #1172429
02/05/12 04:29 PM
02/05/12 04:29 PM
metro detroit
T
turner Offline OP
enthusiast
turner  Offline OP
enthusiast
T

metro detroit
I have nothing so far so I was intending to buy the whole kit with a bottle, I was expecting to activate at WOT not at my launch RPM. I would expect the NOS to kick in about the 60' mark maybe even sooner

Re: Nitrous kit questions [Re: turner] #1172430
02/05/12 05:06 PM
02/05/12 05:06 PM
Cincinnati Oh
F
fasthawk6 Offline
enthusiast
fasthawk6  Offline
enthusiast
F

Cincinnati Oh
Wide open throttle switch with a rpm window switch. You could also go with a elderbrock nos controller wired to the 2 step.

7055156-1.jpg (44 downloads)
Re: Nitrous kit questions [Re: Leon441] #1172431
02/05/12 05:16 PM
02/05/12 05:16 PM
Peru
cbarracuda Offline
mopar
cbarracuda  Offline
mopar

Peru
Quote:

if you are leaving the line at 2500 I would not let the nitrous come on at that RPM. Some engines make big bangs when you do that.

I have not done it yet but an RPM window switch seems like a great idea for activating nitrous.

Just remember you have two sides of the electrical for the nitrous system. One is the high current side. Your main system switch and solenoids is the only thing on this circuit. Two you have the control side which is the low current side. Low pressure switch, throttle switch, timers, and what ever else you may use to determine when the nitrous is on or off is on this side.

If you are using a simple bosch relay. 85 and 86 are the terminals to the coil which is the switching side. All of the low current switching is controlling whether you are energizing the coil in the relay or not. Pin 30 is the main power terminal which in most is the heal contact in these relays. 87 is the front contact which gets is switched on whenever the relay is engized and this would go to your solenoids. If you want to make sure the nitrous can not work when on the transbrake or line lock PM me and you will need another relay and use 87A terminal.

Leon

Very Good info! I was also planning on running with NOS this year with my small block. My car runs 10.20 but the track is not to good over here so I have 2 stage system and I plan to use 70 hp on lounch and 125 at half of second gear. What do you think? We race twice a month and I need to go 9.20 on my last run every race. Also my car is getting a 4-link to replace the ss spring, I think that will also help.

Last edited by cbarracuda; 02/05/12 11:02 PM.
Re: Nitrous kit questions [Re: cbarracuda] #1172432
02/05/12 06:01 PM
02/05/12 06:01 PM
Cincinnati Oh
F
fasthawk6 Offline
enthusiast
fasthawk6  Offline
enthusiast
F

Cincinnati Oh
Quote:

Quote:

Leon

Very Good info! I was also planning on running with NOS this year with my small block. My car runs 10.20 but the track is not to good over here so I have 2 stage system and I plan to use 70 hp on lounch and 125 at half of second gear. What do you think? We race twice a month and I need to go 9.20 for the last run. Also my car is getting a 4-link to replace the ss spring, I think that will also help.

If you are allowed electronics i would use 1 stage and the elderbock nos controlller wired to the transbrake. You can set a ramp time and a leaving percentage. This would be the easy way of doing it instead of trying to run two stages if you have never used nos before.

Re: Nitrous kit questions [Re: fasthawk6] #1172433
02/05/12 11:07 PM
02/05/12 11:07 PM
Peru
cbarracuda Offline
mopar
cbarracuda  Offline
mopar

Peru
thanks