Eden, Texas
S
Strawdawg Offline
Strawdawg  Offline
S

Eden, Texas
Quote:

Quote:

So, are you saying that the car will not try to change back for front when the rears lock up first?

what I'm saying is the type of master cyl for your application create the pressure for the front and rears, different stroke lenghts inside the cyl is where it's at, also sizing of pistons
what the heck do I know, I'm just a freaking clown!
lets try this, say you have a stock system that everyone has, you want more pressure to the rear, so you buy a adj valve put it in do you put it in after the prop valve or before? If you put it in after how in the world , if what he says is true , then how can you get more pressure?
In the old days of 1 line master cyl you had same pressure front and rear, safty gurus decided after several brake line failures and deaths, the system needed to be seperated and a 2 line master cyl evloved . and also it was required that the system needed a warning that would tell the driver when something was wrong with that system thus the prop valve it help in 2 ways , it seperate the front and back , and serves as a warning lite activator.
after that I'm uneducated lol

LOL...I don't believe you are the clown in question. In essence, I believe you are correct (see my post above).

If you retain the factory valve, the adjustable valve normally goes in the main line running to the rear

Steve
Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: dennismopar73] #1116048
11/19/11 02:43 PM
11/19/11 02:43 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
What, exactly, is the law that states cars must have a disc/drum brake setup?

There is none. The law you are vaguely aware of calls for a split braking system so that one leak does not deactivate all the brakes.

None of which has much do do with what we are talking about here. Stop trying to confuse the issue with irrelevancies.

What we are talking about is a device that allows two otherwise incompatible braking systems to function together.

Disc brakes are essentially linear. All wheel discs are fairly easy to balance, only weight shift has an effect on balance in a properly designed system.

Self energizing drums are not linear. All wheel drums are fairly easy to balance, only weight shift has an effect on balance in a properly designed system.

However, combine the two and you have issues with the differences in how they function. That is what a combination valve addresses.

Your commentary on how brakes work, what a proportioning valve does and almost everything else is totally off base and ignorant.

You are not book smart, street smart or any other kind of smart in regards to brakes and if anyone chooses to follow your "advice" I pity them.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: Supercuda] #1116049
11/19/11 04:20 PM
11/19/11 04:20 PM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
"Your commentary on how brakes work, what a proportioning valve does and almost everything else is totally off base and ignorant.

You are not book smart, street smart or any other kind of smart in regards to brakes and if anyone chooses to follow your "advice" I pity them."
Then please un-educate me !

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: DAYCLONA] #1116050
11/19/11 07:07 PM
11/19/11 07:07 PM
Elk Grove, Calif.
B
bigblock340power Offline OP
master
bigblock340power  Offline OP
master
B

Elk Grove, Calif.
Quote:

Very well said Supercuda , unfortunately your info generally falls on deaf ears in these forums when it comes to these brake problems/questions/applications/modifications threads...

IMHO that's a nice Duster the OP has, if it was mine, I'd be outfitting it with a rear disc set-up, sized, based on what caliper volume I have upfront, then it would be "OK" to ditch the PV valve, otherwise if your going to keep the antiquated rear drums, get your PV replaced with a properly functioning unit...

I seem to have started a bit of a firestorm here. Sorry for that, all.
Thanks Dayclona for the complement about my rolling parts house. I thank you all for your advise and opinions. Jim V. has graciously let me use one of his (dare I use this term) prop. valves to see if it's my repop valve that's giving me all the headaches.
To help clear things up a little, I don't think I was ever going to entertain the notion of going without a prop. valve. Basically was just a query. Just thought I'd interject my thoughts here while theirs a lull in the lobbing of criticisms.
Thank you all again. Now lets all play nice.

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: Strawdawg] #1116051
11/23/11 06:06 PM
11/23/11 06:06 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

<snip>Mopar used two basic m/c proportioning ratios according to the literature. One with 69/31% distribution and the other, I believe, was 67/33%.

This leaves us with trying to play with wheel cylinder size or an adjustable valve after we start changing up things with regard to brake size, brake composition, tire size/tread composition, and spring rates, etc.

Give the number of variables available to us today, I personally think that an adjustable valve is the easiest means of dialing in braking, but, opinions will surely variable.

Sorry, that I had difficulty discerning technical intent from within your rant.

I have no idea where this split/bias m/cyl info grew from, but I can tell you this: Every muscle-era Mopar I have ever investigated uses a straight-bore master cylinder, 50/50 distribution. Period. This error was fixed in later MP catalogs.

I haven't read everything above, so forgive me if some of this is redundant...just some info and factoids which I hope you find useful...

Combination valves are a combo of the safety switch / tee, a prop valve, and a metering valve. The purpose of the metering (standoff) valve is to prevent the front brakes from applying until the resistance of the rear shoe return springs has been overcome -- to prevent early front wheel lockup on glare ice.

If going to an adjustable prop valve, and you have a block/tee with a built-in prop valve, the stock valve must be "gutted" from the block. You only want one prop valve.

Getting the proportioning close by juggling wheel cylinder / caliper bore sizes is the preferred way to go. Prop valves don't "cut in" until there's a few hundred PSI (varies by model), often too late (!) on slippery surfaces. And you don't ever want both rear wheels locked. (That's why RWAL was introduced).

Factory setups of the '60s and early '70s were compromises. 440 Road Runner coupes used the same prop parts as 6-cyl Satellite wagons, and the F/R weight distribution couldn't be more different. Getting your F/R proportioning dialed in precisely makes a HUGE difference in stopping distances.

Another way to change proportioning is via drum / rotor diameter. Generally, if you swap a '60s / early-70s Mopar to 11.75" cop rotors, you've come close. 7/8" rear wheel cyls., and an adjustable prop valve, and you're within 20 feet or so (from 60 MPH) of a modern ABS performance car.

Lining material / friction coefficient / temperature / tire size / width / tread compound (etc.) also figure into the equation. That's why race cars typically have the prop valve (lever type) where the driver can adjust it during an event!

Bendix Duo-Servo (on almost all '62-'89 RWD Mopars) rear brakes have so much self energizing action that, especially with a power booster, even Mario Andretti would have tough time stopping straight. About all you can do is be on your toes -- literally -- threshold braking.

Rick

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1116052
11/23/11 08:51 PM
11/23/11 08:51 PM
Eden, Texas
S
Strawdawg Offline
Strawdawg  Offline
S

Eden, Texas
Quote:

I have no idea where this split/bias m/cyl info grew from, but I can tell you this: Every muscle-era Mopar I have ever investigated uses a straight-bore master cylinder, 50/50 distribution. Period. This error was fixed in later MP catalogs.

I haven't read everything above, so forgive me if some of this is redundant...just some info and factoids which I hope you find useful...

Combination valves are a combo of the safety switch / tee, a prop valve, and a metering valve. The purpose of the metering (standoff) valve is to prevent the front brakes from applying until the resistance of the rear shoe return springs has been overcome -- to prevent early front wheel lockup on glare ice.

If going to an adjustable prop valve, and you have a block/tee with a built-in prop valve, the stock valve must be "gutted" from the block. You only want one prop valve.

Getting the proportioning close by juggling wheel cylinder / caliper bore sizes is the preferred way to go. Prop valves don't "cut in" until there's a few hundred PSI (varies by model), often too late (!) on slippery surfaces. And you don't ever want both rear wheels locked. (That's why RWAL was introduced).

Factory setups of the '60s and early '70s were compromises. 440 Road Runner coupes used the same prop parts as 6-cyl Satellite wagons, and the F/R weight distribution couldn't be more different. Getting your F/R proportioning dialed in precisely makes a HUGE difference in stopping distances.

Another way to change proportioning is via drum / rotor diameter. Generally, if you swap a '60s / early-70s Mopar to 11.75" cop rotors, you've come close. 7/8" rear wheel cyls., and an adjustable prop valve, and you're within 20 feet or so (from 60 MPH) of a modern ABS performance car.

Lining material / friction coefficient / temperature / tire size / width / tread compound (etc.) also figure into the equation. That's why race cars typically have the prop valve (lever type) where the driver can adjust it during an event!

Bendix Duo-Servo (on almost all '62-'89 RWD Mopars) rear brakes have so much self energizing action that, especially with a power booster, even Mario Andretti would have tough time stopping straight. About all you can do is be on your toes -- literally -- threshold braking.

Rick

I thought perhaps I had dreamed it up, or it was from a Buick, or such, but, the information is contained in the 9th edition of the Mopar Chassis book by Larry Shepard/Michael Gingerella. I believe this is the latest edition. Pages 347/348

On the other hand, this refers to two specific master cylinders-Part#s P5249270 and P5249271

Therefore, the comment may well be wrong in the general context with regard to the units that came on the cars originally.

Here are a couple of pics...sorry for the fuzziness-too little light at the moment and too much shake, but, I am sure you have the book and can check if you are interested.

6933205-brake%.jpg (35 downloads)

Steve
Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: Strawdawg] #1116053
11/23/11 08:53 PM
11/23/11 08:53 PM
Eden, Texas
S
Strawdawg Offline
Strawdawg  Offline
S

Eden, Texas
and

6933209-brake%2.jpg (30 downloads)

Steve
Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: Strawdawg] #1116054
11/23/11 11:16 PM
11/23/11 11:16 PM
Eden, Texas
S
Strawdawg Offline
Strawdawg  Offline
S

Eden, Texas
Also, the Mopar adjustable proportioning valve mentioned in the second, unreadable pic is PN P5249088 which is reportedly adjustable from 100-1000 psi which should be adequate in dialing in the rears on a modded car-installed in the line going to the rears.

If you have an original combo valve that is rusted up internally which is pretty common on older valves, then you might consider one like this from Wilwood http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/260-11179/10002/-1?parentProductId=1284815

Steve
Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1116055
11/24/11 04:02 AM
11/24/11 04:02 AM
Elk Grove, Calif.
B
master
master
B

Elk Grove, Calif.

Rick

Mr. Ehrenberg, I'm glad you chimed in. Let me clarify my question by asking another, and wading past all the high spirited interaction above. I am the OP of this opinion filled, excrement slinging Malay. My '71 340 Duster came with K/H (Power) front four piston caliper disc/rear drum brakes. When I bought the car, the power booster was off it. Everything else was intact, and functioning very well. I even plumed in a line lock and went drag racing (I've removed the line lock during this restore). I replaced the org. MC with your aluminum MC you sell here a few years ago. Still everything stopped just fine. My trouble came when, while restoring the car, I replaced the K/H prop./distribution valve with an after market new one I found being sold by a well known Mopar parts vender. When I got everything back together and tried to stop the car, it just didn't want to stop very well. It felt like I just didn't have enough pressure to the Calipers/ drums to do a good job. I pressure bled the system (twice), and bench bled the MC. The peddle felt great, no slop, or fade. I can power out of the brakes, when fully applied (never been able to do that before). My question: given all the variables I described above, could the prop./distribution valve be the culprit? I have since rebuilt me K/H prop. valve (mostly just cleaning it up real well), and intend to place it back into the system to try it again. What do you think?
Thank you,
mike

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: bigblock340power] #1116056
11/24/11 01:23 PM
11/24/11 01:23 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

<snip!> My '71 340 Duster came with K/H (Power) front four piston caliper disc/rear drum brakes. When I bought the car, the power booster was off it. Everything else was intact, and functioning very well. I even plumed in a line lock and went drag racing (I've removed the line lock during this restore). I replaced the org. MC with your aluminum MC you sell here a few years ago. Still everything stopped just fine. My trouble came when, while restoring the car, I replaced the K/H prop./distribution valve with an after market new one I found being sold by a well known Mopar parts vender. When I got everything back together and tried to stop the car, it just didn't want to stop very well. It felt like I just didn't have enough pressure to the Calipers/ drums to do a good job. I pressure bled the system (twice), and bench bled the MC. The peddle felt great, no slop, or fade. I can power out of the brakes, when fully applied (never been able to do that before). My question: given all the variables I described above, could the prop./distribution valve be the culprit? I have since rebuilt me K/H prop. valve (mostly just cleaning it up real well), and intend to place it back into the system to try it again. What do you think?
Thank you,
mike

This Chinese stuff can (and does) have all kinds of bizarre defects. But also be sure that the plumbing to the valve is correct. And, I'd sure bleed one more time -- try a different method, maybe. Remember that the master must be bled before any of the wheels, and if you allow either reservoir to go dry, it must be bled again. I can't visualize a valve defect that would result in a soft pedal, which seems to be what you are describing.

You didn't say whether you re-installed the power booster. If you replaced it, I hope it is one intended for PDB. Otherwise booster runout is a possibility. Me? Manual all the way. Much easier to threshold brake. Threshold braking

Your term "distribution valve" may mislead some. As was mentioned by others above, the front and rear circuits are totally independent and disconnected - fluid NEVER flows from the front circuit to the rear, or vice-versa, under any conditions. The ONLY function of the "valve" (it isn't) on all-drum cars is to turn on the idiot light when there's a pressure differential -- a Federal requirement starting in 1967.

On the master cylinder bias quandary...you'll note that the bore dimension given is singular - meaning, straight bore. There can, therefore, be no pressure differential or proportioning built in to the master (excluding the '90s / 00s stuff with valves that screw right into the master cylinder, of course). I believe those numbers refer to the maximum total volume of fluid that can be pumped from each section of the bore. All that's in a dual-circuit master (at least Mopars) is a primary piston, and a second floating piston. One outlet is between the pistons, the second is behind the secondary piston. Yes, due to friction, etc., there might be a 1% (or less) pressure differential, but that's it! Hook up gauges and see.

The MP masters were just ~'80s truck masters, the later angled-reservoir ones were '90s/00s truck.)

Rick

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1116057
11/25/11 12:49 AM
11/25/11 12:49 AM
Elk Grove, Calif.
B
master
master
B

Elk Grove, Calif.
Thanks again for your reply.
I do not intend to put the power booster back on. I like the feel of the man. brakes (besides, I don't think my cam choice in my 416 would support enough vacuum for it anyway). I did bench bleed the M C before I put it into the system. Then ( I didn't mention this part in the first communiques above) bled the system with my wife (she's a real trooper) pumping the brakes, while I went from wheel to wheel. Then I did the two power bleeds later. I read your suggestions and I think I see what your getting at.

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: bigblock340power] #1116058
11/25/11 02:35 AM
11/25/11 02:35 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Thanks again for your reply.
I do not intend to put the power booster back on. I like the feel of the man. brakes (besides, I don't think my cam choice in my 416 would support enough vacuum for it anyway). I did bench bleed the M C before I put it into the system. Then ( I didn't mention this part in the first communiques above) bled the system with my wife (she's a real trooper) pumping the brakes, while I went from wheel to wheel. Then I did the two power bleeds later. I read your suggestions and I think I see what your getting at.

The so called bias is the reservoir volume(from what
I have been told)... nothing to do with valve bias...
if you look/measure the bore of the master you will
find 1 bore size in there not 2 which would change
the bias... I have been running the alum master on
both my race car and my street rod without any DIST/error
in system valve for years... on the race car I have
disc/disc but with the lines on the master reversed
for the volume(front reservoir to the front brakes, rear to
the rears) with a adjustable valve(prop valve) on the
front brakes.... reason its on the fronts.... the
small tires CANT take the brake force that the BIG
rear slicks can on a pedal spike... quick lesson...
the adjustable prop valve JUST SLOWS THE FLUID...
given enough time the pressure will equal out... so
with the prop on the front tires it slows the spike
and allows the rear tires to do MOST of the braking
(and YES I did work in the brake lab for Chrysler
for some time)... but MOST of my time was in the
fuel and exhaust lab

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1116059
11/25/11 09:32 AM
11/25/11 09:32 AM
Elk Grove, Calif.
B
master
master
B

Elk Grove, Calif.
The so called bias is the reservoir volume(from what
I have been told)... nothing to do with valve bias...
if you look/measure the bore of the master you will
find 1 bore size in there not 2 which would change
the bias... I have been running the alum master on
both my race car and my street rod without any DIST/error
in system valve for years... on the race car I have
disc/disc but with the lines on the master reversed
for the volume(front reservoir to the front brakes, rear to
the rears) with a adjustable valve(prop valve) on the
front brakes.... reason its on the fronts.... the
small tires CANT take the brake force that the BIG
rear slicks can on a pedal spike... quick lesson...
the adjustable prop valve JUST SLOWS THE FLUID...
given enough time the pressure will equal out... so
with the prop on the front tires it slows the spike
and allows the rear tires to do MOST of the braking
(and YES I did work in the brake lab for Chrysler
for some time)... but MOST of my time was in the
fuel and exhaust lab

So, are you telling me I should go ahead and try the suggestion about running without the Prop. valve? Plumbing the way it's suggested in my org. post? Or just letting me know how you've done it, and it does work (for you at least!).

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: bigblock340power] #1116060
11/25/11 11:33 AM
11/25/11 11:33 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
So, are you telling me I should go ahead and try the suggestion about running without the Prop. valve? Plumbing the way it's suggested in my org. post? Or just letting me know how you've done it, and it does work (for you at least!).

I dont tell people how to do anything... what I said
was how I do it and it works very good.... if it
is a street car I would leave it in place... it was
put there for safety

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: bigblock340power] #1116061
11/29/11 12:23 AM
11/29/11 12:23 AM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
A good discussion of proportioning and valves...

prop valve tech

The '60s FSMs called for the valve to output a constant 360 to 405 PSI with a constant 500 PSI input.

At some lower pressure (varies by model, or adjustment on adjustable valves) the rubber "stage" seal does not close, so it is basically straight-thru. Once the set pressure is reached, it is, effectively, a small piston pushing on a larger one, reducing pressure by the ratio of (the area of) one to the other. If it "equalizes", there's internal leakage (which may well be common, since most stops only last a few seconds and these weren't precision implements!)

Again, the bulk of the proportioning was done by the ratio of F/R mechanics and hydraulics, as it should be. On a typical '60s Mopar, the fronts do 60-65% of the work.

Rick

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1116062
12/02/11 12:46 PM
12/02/11 12:46 PM
Elk Grove, Calif.
B
master
master
B

Elk Grove, Calif.
Quote:

A good discussion of proportioning and valves...

prop valve tech

The '60s FSMs called for the valve to output a constant 360 to 405 PSI with a constant 500 PSI input.

At some lower pressure (varies by model, or adjustment on adjustable valves) the rubber "stage" seal does not close, so it is basically straight-thru. Once the set pressure is reached, it is, effectively, a small piston pushing on a larger one, reducing pressure by the ratio of (the area of) one to the other. If it "equalizes", there's internal leakage (which may well be common, since most stops only last a few seconds and these weren't precision implements!)

Again, the bulk of the proportioning was done by the ratio of F/R mechanics and hydraulics, as it should be. On a typical '60s Mopar, the fronts do 60-65% of the work.

Rick

A very interesting read, Rick. Thanks.
I did go back to my stock Prop. valve. I just got done installing it. Bled the system, and it does feel a whole lot better. I have yet to drive the vehicle, but all initial indacations look good. I'll be driving it today. So if you don't read about me in the news, or obituaries, all went well.
Thanks agin to all who helped out.

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: bigblock340power] #1116063
12/02/11 12:51 PM
12/02/11 12:51 PM
Rancho Cordova, California (Sa...
hemi71x Offline
master
hemi71x  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, California (Sa...
So Mike,
You must have found the fitting you were looking for on your original prop valve?
Or did you plumb in mine, that you borrowed from me, as a test?
Jim V.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: hemi71x] #1116064
12/02/11 02:30 PM
12/02/11 02:30 PM
Elk Grove, Calif.
B
master
master
B

Elk Grove, Calif.
I put another K/H prop. valve in. I didn't use yours. I'll get it back to ya soon. Thanks for the loan though.

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: bigblock340power] #1116065
12/02/11 03:12 PM
12/02/11 03:12 PM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
think you will need the proper residual valve for the drum brakes along with the prop valve---the residual is set at about 12" column pressure---this keeps your shoes in close proximity to the drums so that you dont have to pump up your brakes everytime you stop----if you look at a hot rod buildup in a speedway catalog you will see you need 2" column pressure on the front discs-------so if you have a rod with a frame mounted master--you have to have a residual for the front(2") and rear(12")----however if you have a firewall mounted master there is sufficient column pressure for discs but not for the drums hence you need the residual valve and that is the forgotten value of the distribution valve...

Re: Alternative prop. valve plumbing "?" [Re: savoy64] #1116066
12/02/11 06:14 PM
12/02/11 06:14 PM
Elk Grove, Calif.
B
master
master
B

Elk Grove, Calif.
Quote:

think you will need the proper residual valve for the drum brakes along with the prop valve---the residual is set at about 12" column pressure---this keeps your shoes in close proximity to the drums so that you dont have to pump up your brakes everytime you stop

Not saying I do or don't need it, but I've never had this in the past ever since I've owned the car. It always stopped just fine (well, fine for a 40 year old car). Is their any pics, or a place I can see what this looks like?
Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3