West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline OP
master
Troy  Offline OP
master
T

West Coast, CA
After three attempts with rubber lip seals, hours of research on the "do's and don't" on installing rear main seals, close to $100 of gaskets, sealer and seals AND the clean up work trying to make everything look good again. All of this could of been prevented if I just went with my gut feelings and installed a Rope Seal to begin with.

I just got done with my 472 Hemi and after starting it up for the first time I saw a little leak at the rear main. Time went on and it did not get any better. I pulled the pan and the seal and I did not see anything out of the ordinary but the lower seal was very wet so I new I found the location of the problem. I thought that just maybe it was just "one of those things" and I put it all back together.

Well that was a mistake!! It leaked even worse than before!! So I started reading and researching and found that I'm not the only person with these problems. One of the "solutions" was to shim the seal. Add a .020 thick casket behind the seal. This will apply more surface contact with the seal to the crank. It sounded good...... but it did not work at all!!! That made one heck of a mess!!!

With all that BS out of the way I'm going to tell you all what I have found out. Here are the parts that I'm working with.

Second generation, Mopar Performance Hemi Block. (not a World Block)
Started with Aluminum Billet Seal retainer but went to factory retainer.
Eagle 4.150 crank with knurled seal surface.
Started with Felpro seal, then Mopar Performance seal.

Now the fix!! I should done this to begin with.

Remove old seal and clean everything, crank, seal retainer mounting bolts, everything.
Use rope seal Victor Reinz part number JV551. FelPro has them as well.
Go to Napa and buy tool #492 also known as "Sneaky Pet" rope seal installation tool.

Step 1: Measure seal retainer. It should be 3.000 /- .015 If it is taller than that, remove excess. Dry fit into block and the engine block oil pan surface and the seal retainer should be flush. Then remove.

Step 2: Take new rope seal and place it in the seal retainer. Take a large socket and press and form the seal into the retainer. Form the seal to the point where the seal is uniformed and fits nicely in the retainer. The ends will hang out by 1/2" on either side. Take a new razor blade and cut the ends off BUT leave 1/16' extra on both ends.

Step 3: Carefully remove seal out of the retainer and spray JB80 or other spray lube on both sides of the seal. Take your new Napa seal installation tool and thread it around the crank where the seal goes. Hook you formed rope seal on the end of the tool. Apply more JB80 to the seal. With help from a friend have them start to rotate the crankshaft while you pull the seal into the block. This tool is so cool!! You will see how the little jaws that grabs the seal is the same size as the grove the the seal sits in. When the seal is going through the block it pinches the seal and hold onto the new seal. Keep pulling till the seal just starts to come through the other side and then stop and remove tool.

Step 4: Take the seal retainer and a center punch and make 6 marks in the area where the side seals lay. These little punch marks will help hold the side seals in and keep them from sliding down during install. Take the rope seal and place it in the retainer and like before form it to the retainer like before. Again cut the extra off but remember ti leave the 1/16" extra. Remove seal and apply sealer to the retainer where the seal lies. Reinstall seal into retainer and press firmly to make sure seal is in place.

Step 6: Go back to the seal that is in the engine block....take a long screwdriver and push and form the ends of the seal so it does not lay on the engine block where the seal retainer meets the engine block. Just do your best to push all those threads to the center of the seal. Now do the same thing to the seal that is in the retainer. Apply a dab of sealer to the ends of the seal and a VERY thin coat of sealer it the ends of the retainer where it meets the block.

Step 7: The Victor rope seal comes with these cardboard type side seals. Take these side seals and dunk them in oil....You must be kinda quick when doing this because they will start to swell. Take the oiled side seals and place them on the seal retainer with about 1/4" sticking above the retainer. Quickly install the seal retainer into the block. When you push the retainer up and in the side seals will slip some but when everything is in correctly the side seals should be flush or have 1/16' sticking down. Install the two mounting bolts and your almost done.

Step 8: (optional) I took a 1" wide piece of sheet metal and but a very slight bend in it. I then put 3" long bead of sealer on it. I threaded my new tool up behind the block where the seal retainer meets the block. I forced the bead of sealer into the small gap where the seal retainer meets the block. I then drew the tool down from behind the block and that slight bend I put in the tool helped force the sealer into this gap. I did this two or three time and I saw the sealer being forced into that gap. I did this for a little extra security.

Bolt the pan back up and you should be good to go.

I know many of you are saying that rope seals rob horse power. I believe that they might at first but when they get broken in I think that the HP loss is unmeasurable.

Some say that if you just shave the seal retainer that it will clamp down a little harder on the crank and the seal will seal. The problem with that is now the "crush" on the seal is no longer round and it will leak even more. This is why the retainer should be 3.000 and not much less.

I just wanted to give you all my Hope it helps.

Thanks, Troy

....there is nothing like driving my 1968 Hemi Dart around town and having people looking at you like you're nuts!!
Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: Troy] #1102348
10/27/11 03:29 AM
10/27/11 03:29 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
The Knurled crank surface was the first clue that you should have run a rope seal first time out....general rule, knurled-rope, smooth-rubber, nothing wrong with rubber seals, as long as the crank surface is designed for it,...I'm old school myself and prefer rope seals, I've had more fuss with rubber seals too, than what they're worth,...glad everything worked out for you Troy in the end,....when you going to post some pics of that toy?

Mike

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: DAYCLONA] #1102349
10/27/11 07:10 AM
10/27/11 07:10 AM
nielsville, minn.
Q
quickd100 Offline
master
quickd100  Offline
master
Q

nielsville, minn.
Troy; Sounds like alot of work. I've only had one rear main leak in dozens of bb mopars. It was a rope seal that died. I've used the rubbers seals for about 30 years without a problem. One of my buddies last winter encountered problems with his world block. Ended up having to disassemble the motor and have it machined.Dave

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: quickd100] #1102350
10/27/11 07:36 AM
10/27/11 07:36 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Troy; Sounds like alot of work. I've only had one rear main leak in dozens of bb mopars. It was a rope seal that died. I've used the rubbers seals for about 30 years without a problem. One of my buddies last winter encountered problems with his world block. Ended up having to disassemble the motor and have it machined.Dave

Been down that road too. Like teh rubber seal and not had a problem. used many.

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: MoparforLife] #1102351
10/27/11 09:04 AM
10/27/11 09:04 AM
malvern, ohio
3ddart Offline
pro stock
3ddart  Offline
pro stock

malvern, ohio
glad you got it straightened out! now as mentioned before lets see some pictures of the beast! fwiw the people on here will appreciate you effort more then most you will encounter once you start driving it. i put about 500 miles on mine this summer doing cruises since i couldn't race and unless it was viewed by a hardcore mopar or old school racer most didn't even realize what the car was. typical cmment was " oh look, a big motor in a dart". dave

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: 3ddart] #1102352
10/27/11 03:05 PM
10/27/11 03:05 PM
West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline OP
master
Troy  Offline OP
master
T

West Coast, CA
I would like to have a dime for every rubber seal that I have installed and worked. Most of the time they just seep a little and we live with it and we call it good.

When I googled this problem there were many people with this problem and I just wanted to post what I have found.

I will be posting more pictures of this project very soon!!

Troy

....there is nothing like driving my 1968 Hemi Dart around town and having people looking at you like you're nuts!!
Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: Troy] #1102353
10/27/11 03:26 PM
10/27/11 03:26 PM
West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline OP
master
Troy  Offline OP
master
T

West Coast, CA
.....ok, here a picture to tie you over..

6891057-IMG_0107.JPG (1509 downloads)

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: Troy] #1102354
10/27/11 03:43 PM
10/27/11 03:43 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
I have been allways affraid on use the rubber seal. I have changed twice in 10 years, but the original never leaked in 20 years before.

Now that I'm working on the 450 stroke, was thinking about

Thinking now on the rope seal back... I think I can find dozens OF THOSE NOS AROUND in an Old Mopar dealer.

I guess there is not a problem using a NOS one ?

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: NachoRT74] #1102355
10/27/11 04:16 PM
10/27/11 04:16 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
The problem is the knurling on the crank. I have all the Chinese cranks sent to my crank grinder for check and correct anyway. We discovered that a .006 cut on the rear main seal surface knocks down the high spots and provides a smoother working surface. ALL of the premium cranks (Callies, Crower, etc.do NOT use the knurling and they never give you any issues with leaks)..I always use the orange "Fluoroelastomer" seal. It is the highest quality available, as far as I know. No leaks...

MB

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: HPMike] #1102356
10/27/11 05:35 PM
10/27/11 05:35 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

The problem is the knurling on the crank. I have all the Chinese cranks sent to my crank grinder for check and correct anyway. We discovered that a .006 cut on the rear main seal surface knocks down the high spots and provides a smoother working surface. ALL of the premium cranks (Callies, Crower, etc.do NOT use the knurling and they never give you any issues with leaks)..I always use the orange "Fluoroelastomer" seal. It is the highest quality available, as far as I know. No leaks...

MB

Mike I wonder if that knurling issue, you aren't the first to suggest this, will over time eat up the rope seal and cause a leak?

We used an eagle crank on the enginemasters build and had a weeping rear main seal, it used the orange lip seal.

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: Troy] #1102357
10/27/11 06:03 PM
10/27/11 06:03 PM
Sk. Canada
RemCharger Offline
master
RemCharger  Offline
master

Sk. Canada
Quote:

I LIKE THAT!

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: Troy] #1102358
10/27/11 06:08 PM
10/27/11 06:08 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

When is it going to be painted ?

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: JohnRR] #1102359
10/27/11 07:33 PM
10/27/11 07:33 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

MB

Mike I wonder if that knurling issue, you aren't the first to suggest this, will over time eat up the rope seal and cause a leak?

We used an eagle crank on the enginemasters build and had a weeping rear main seal, it used the orange lip seal.

I had an Eagle that absolutely kicked my asz. Anything I did-it leaked. That's when I took a hard look at that knurling. I used a jewelers loupe and looked at the way they cut that. Too many jagged "peaks". My theory was it was tearing up the seal. Since then, I have probably used over a dozen more Eagle's, machined the seal surface and never had a problem. I can only assume that "fixed" it. I also discovered a problem with the billet rear main seal caps. They "shroud" the rear main cap and don't allow the oil to drain back to the pan fast enough. I cut a relief in them to "unshroud" and assist drainage. Interestingly, the billet cap that Best Machine sells is real nice. It is made with a huge relief to really open it up. NEVER had any issues with those. I don't know who is making them for B/M, but they got it nailed.

As for the rope seal, I have no real experience, other than OE stuff years ago. I might be leary to use one on an aftermarket crank for precisely the reason you mention. Glad it worked for the OP, just

MB

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: Troy] #1102360
10/27/11 10:04 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Sweet car

Not to beat a dead horse but
knurled crank = Rope seal
Smooth (or worn down knurling) = Lip seal.

That's the way I have always built my engine no leak problems.

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: JohnRR] #1102361
West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline OP
master
Troy  Offline OP
master
T

West Coast, CA
Quote:

One of the things I was looking at is the knurling and this is what I have found.

First off all of the factory stock cranks are knurled..... all of the early big and small blocks came with a rope seal so I don't believe there is an issue with a knurled crank and a rope seal used together.

One thing I did was that was very interesting was this. I installed a lip seal up in the block. I then applied a very thin coat of white grease on the crank where the seal rides. I then rotated the crank to see what the pattern looked like. I was surprised that the seal lip does not ride on the knurled portion of the crank. The seal lip contacts the crank in front of the knurling....between the knurling and the rear main cap. I was shocked to see this but I never done this before. Learn something new every day!!

One more thing that I saw today that blew me away. I was at a friends shop today and I saw something that just killed me. There was a aftermarket billet seal retainer just sitting there. Next to it was a factory seal retainer. I matched the two of them back to back and the overall height was the same BUT the aftermarket cap....where the seal sits was OFF CENTER by .040!! That is a MILE off!!!! Tomorrow I will go back and take a picture for everybody viewing pleasure.

6891553-IMG_0115.JPG (771 downloads)

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: Troy] #1102362
10/28/11 12:22 AM
10/28/11 12:22 AM
Mississippi
lahatte Offline
enthusiast
lahatte  Offline
enthusiast

Mississippi
Regarding where the seal rides, 2 questions...

Was the crank all the way back, as in, the end play?

Was the spot where the seal was possibly a worn knurled area?

Thanks.

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: lahatte] #1102363
10/28/11 01:15 AM
10/28/11 01:15 AM
West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline OP
master
Troy  Offline OP
master
T

West Coast, CA
Quote:

Regarding where the seal rides, 2 questions...

Was the crank all the way back, as in, the end play?

Was the spot where the seal was possibly a worn knurled area?

Thanks.

Thrust is at minimum spec.....if I remember it's at .007 and where that seal rides it about .030 in front of the knurling.

New Eagle crank so the knurling is new and looks good.

Here is a picture showing where a lip seal rides on the crank. It is far in front of where the knurling is.

6891861-rearmainseal012.jpg (2939 downloads)

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: Troy] #1102364
10/28/11 01:40 AM
10/28/11 01:40 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
looks like it might be in backwards, hard to see . should be open part of lip toward front of block.so pressure in the engine forces it tight to the crank.

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: cudaman1969] #1102365
10/28/11 01:46 AM
10/28/11 01:46 AM
Mississippi
lahatte Offline
enthusiast
lahatte  Offline
enthusiast

Mississippi
That's what I was thinking too, but I'm hardly an expert. Indeed, hard to tell in the picture, but there is the line on the crank where it looks like the seal has rubbed away the grease.

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: lahatte] #1102366
10/28/11 02:01 AM
10/28/11 02:01 AM
West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline OP
master
Troy  Offline OP
master
T

West Coast, CA
....no, it is in correctly. The lip goes to the inside of the engine. The design is so when oil is pressed to the seal it forces the lip into the crank making a tighter seal.

I am 80% sure that the leak is not due to oil leaking between the crank and the seal but rather between the seal and the engine block/seal retainer......that is my thought.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4