08/12/08 10:55 PM
08/12/08 10:55 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Just weigh your rig and see where it falls.

Chris

I'm going to have to do this... I never have

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: ProStreetFm3] #103026
08/12/08 11:00 PM
08/12/08 11:00 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
The prospect of being held hostage 500 miles from home, by some cowboy with a gun and a badge who's trying to make his quota at my expense, makes me think about how bad I want to do this. If the rules could be understood by someone without a law degree or if you could get a straight answer to a question, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. The whole program is about relieving you of your hard earned cash. I'm not trying to run a trucking company, I just want to go to the race track once in awhile. I'd like to go the truck/LQ trailer route but it seems that we are being forced into the motorhome/small tag option.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: ProStreetFm3] #103027
08/12/08 11:26 PM
08/12/08 11:26 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

Thanks but I still have my Headache

Have you considered selling the car and taking up knitting?

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: SLEDGEHAMMER] #103028
08/12/08 11:29 PM
08/12/08 11:29 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

Make sure your tires on the trailer and truck are rated for the load you are carrying.

This would apply to any of you guys that have regular car tires, or put LT rated truck tires on your trailers.

LT truck tires are not legal on trailers in PA, only ST rated tires. Be ready to pay the fine if thats what you run and you cross our borders.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: ProStreetFm3] #103029
08/12/08 11:33 PM
08/12/08 11:33 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

This thread gives me a headache. So if I walk into a Dodge dealer and they sell me a truck that will tow 16,500lbs shouldn't I need a Cdl to drive it off the lot?

Do you have a trailer connected to it when you leave? If not, no. If so, maybe.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: Prostock] #103030
08/13/08 12:14 AM
08/13/08 12:14 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
I'm glad the dot didn't see me today pulling a 15,000 lb. load plus the weight of the trailer and the extra i had in the truck bed. Dodge truck pulled it like a champ. Going to do it again tomorrow. Sure glad the trailer brakes work.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: rowin4] #103031
08/13/08 06:21 AM
08/13/08 06:21 AM
541 slobovia
A990 Offline
master
A990  Offline
master

541 slobovia
The days of towing a car with a 1500/150 pickup are numbered arent they. Are we gonna have to go back to flat-towing?

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: Prostock] #103032
08/13/08 06:48 AM
08/13/08 06:48 AM
Tampa Florida
ProStreetFm3 Offline
master
ProStreetFm3  Offline
master

Tampa Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Yes

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: B G Racing] #103033
08/13/08 08:32 AM
08/13/08 08:32 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Partial Possible Requirements/conditions for legal Dot Status:
Register Tag for Max expected GCW & pay appropriate fees
Have correct safety equipment regarding Fire extinguishers, safety triangles, etc in ea truck
esure all use equipment/tires in good order and correctly rated for use
Have correct/current refective tape on rear/sides of all units
Notify Insurance carrier of this new weight
Get Appropriate CDL for weight class
Realise holding a cdl exempts taking driving school to reduce points, even if citation given was during strict personal use in a non comnercial vehicle
Take annual Medical physical (No BP over 140/90)
Take random Drug Test
Get DOT number:
Keep detailed records
Have annual DOT inspections of all vehicles by licensed ASME mechanic
Do beginning of day safety walk around inspection and record
Keep maintence records
Keep min 8 day log book in truck when driving 100+ radius
Keep hrs of service records in office for under 100 mile radius
Deal with not driving when in service (working/racing) after 11 hrs
Have records available without notice for audit by DOT
Face up to $50K fine for violation any of above
Mark Truck with DOT # both sides
Deal with zoning issues parking a commercial truck in neighborhoods
Mark truck with correct Placards when hauling reportable quantities of Haz Mat
Keep accurate manifest detailing above in cab when in transit
Have correct Haz matt endorsement on CDL
Take Federal Criminal Back ground check for Hex Mat and be fingerprinted every 4 years at cost of $91?
Inform your insurance carrier you are commercial and placarded
Let your insurance know you are officially commercial use and pay appropriate premenuins
Carry min insurance limits required for commercial use for ea state entered
Stop at every state weigh station for inspection of most of the above
Pay 36hr? Diesel Fuel permits and trip permits for each sate as required when over 26K lb
Realize in any commercial vehicle, ANY detectable alcohol is considered a violation, even if you using it for personal use or driving it to church.

Agencies that need to be interfaced with to meet compliance with above
Tag agency or DMV
DL agency
US Dot
State DOT
Local Zoning board Reg parking
Insurance agency

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: ProStreetFm3] #103034
08/13/08 08:36 AM
08/13/08 08:36 AM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes

Me too! lol

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: Prostock] #103035
08/13/08 09:11 AM
08/13/08 09:11 AM
VA
69 Road Runner Offline
master
69 Road Runner  Offline
master

VA
From the VA DMV web site.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv109.pdf

Operators of vehicles having a manufacturer’s
gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or a gross
combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001
lbs. or more are required to hold a valid CDL.
Operators of vehicles designed to carry 16 or
more persons including the driver, and operators
of vehicles hauling hazardous materials which
are required by federal law to be placarded must
also hold a valid CDL.

The following situations exempt operators of certain vehicles from the CDL requirements.
1. Operation of a vehicle for personal use only,
such as a recreational vehicle or truck to move
your personal belongings.
2. Operation of a fire truck or other emerency
vehicle.
3. Operation of a farm vehicle that meets all of
the following conditions:
a. Controlled and operated by a farmer.
b. Used to transport agricultural products,
farm machinery or farm supplies to and
from a farm.
c. Strictly for farm use and not used in the
operation of a common contract
carrier.
d. Used within 150 miles of the vehicle
owner’s farm.
4. Operation of a vehicle for military purposes
while the operator is on active duty carrier.

69 Road Runner Vert
Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #103036
08/13/08 09:18 AM
08/13/08 09:18 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline OP
master
B G Racing  Offline OP
master

Eighty Four, PA
Just got my truck re-registered for GCVW(gross combination vehicle weight)As per Chrysler specs I'am allowed 23,000lbsGCVW.It was a pretty easy process.The problems that I found is that no one could give me a clear explaniation of the regulations.After talking to Pa.DOT,Pa.state police,DMV at Harrisburg Pa.Local authorities,and speaking with the Federal Motor Carrier personel.No one seems to be able to clearly define the laws.I'am just going to follow the Federal guidlines and hope that I got it all covered.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: B G Racing] #103037
08/13/08 12:08 PM
08/13/08 12:08 PM
Hot Rod Ridge
FastmOp Offline
master
FastmOp  Offline
master

Hot Rod Ridge
I just put new plates on my dually and they gave me car plates. the plate I had before was 14000#'s. when I asked them whats the deal they said if I'm a just a hobby guy then I'll have no problems and that other states must allow me to pass throuogh without issues, somthing about the interstate commerce act. So I have a 3000# plate on a Cummins Dually with a 24' enclosed

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: FastmOp] #103038
08/13/08 12:37 PM
08/13/08 12:37 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline OP
master
B G Racing  Offline OP
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

I just put new plates on my dually and they gave me car plates. the plate I had before was 14000#'s. when I asked them whats the deal they said if I'm a just a hobby guy then I'll have no problems and that other states must allow me to pass throuogh without issues, somthing about the interstate commerce act. So I have a 3000# plate on a Cummins Dually with a 24' enclosed

Your in deep DooDoo,What they say is meaningless.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: B G Racing] #103039
08/13/08 01:51 PM
08/13/08 01:51 PM
Mohnton, Pa
DodgeCharger Offline
master
DodgeCharger  Offline
master

Mohnton, Pa
What have we determind in this post?
I have a Truck registered for 9000 lbs and an enclosed trailer for 10,000 lbs.
I talked to the title and tag business that I deal with and they told me I didn't need a combination weight until the trailer was registered over 10,000 lbs. Is this correct?
I also searched the PennDot website and found nothing helpful on this subject.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: B G Racing] #103040
08/13/08 02:41 PM
08/13/08 02:41 PM
Fort Pierce, FL
O
Outlaw10_5 Offline
super stock
Outlaw10_5  Offline
super stock
O

Fort Pierce, FL
Quote:

Quote:

Your in deep DooDoo,What they say is meaningless.

Why wouldn't it apply, lol...

Title: Interstate Commerce Act of 1887
Author: U.S. Government
Year Published: 1887

The Interstate Commerce Act of 1887
Be it enacted..., That the provisions of this act shall apply to any common carrier or carriers engaged in the transportation of passengers or property wholly by railroad, or partly by railroad and partly by water when both are used, under a common control, management, or arrangement, for a continuous carriage or shipment, from one State or Territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, or from any place in the United States through a foreign country to any other place in the United States, and also to the transportation in like manner of property shipped from any place in the United States to a foreign country and carried from such place to a port of transshipment, or shipped from a foreign country to any other place in the United States, and also to the transportation in like manner of property shipped from any place in the United States to a foreign country and carried from such place to a port of entry either in the United States or an adjacent foreign country: Provided, however, That the provisions of this act shall not apply to the transportation of passengers or property, or to the receiving, delivering, storage, or handling of property, wholly within one State, and not shipped to or from a foreign country from or to any State or Territory as aforesaid.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: jcc] #103041
08/13/08 02:45 PM
08/13/08 02:45 PM
Arlington, Tx.
B
BJS racing Offline
top fuel
BJS racing  Offline
top fuel
B

Arlington, Tx.
Quote:

Since this will effect every facet of grass roots racing and the racing hobby, wouldn't someone like SEMA that has some proven political clout step up to the plate to get the bigshots to at least simplify and standardize the requirements? I mean SEMA is the one in the end who will get hurt the most if we all give up and quit.

Anybody know anybody at SEMa to link this to?

Well I think I know someone that can look at this and bring it up the next time he is talking to the rest of the SEMA board members. My boss is a chair elect for SEMA. I was going to bring this up to him but was giving it a while to see if anyone else had this idea.

Back in the swing of things at Painless again! Great to be back!
Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: B G Racing] #103042
08/13/08 04:04 PM
NE Ohio
H
Hemi Joe 4911 Offline
Hemi Joe 4911  Offline
H

NE Ohio
Bob-I was fortunate enough to have attended a class conducted by the Pa.State Police this past Feburary at one of our dealerships pertaining to trailering for landscapers and those hauling construction equipment. First they state that their personnel know most of the laws however the ones that we must be concerned are those like the city police, the township police and the sheriffs dept., for they only know part of the laws. The important thing is that they may stop you and write you up and be wrong, however it is up to you to hire an attorney to get yourself out of the mess.
Most of the trailering laws that he spoke of were, effective January of this year you must now go into the scales if you are a combo of 10,001 lbs, previously it was 26,000 and most of us were not effected. By passing the scales is a $3,000.00 fine this was Federally mandated that they do this. I told him that they were opening up a can of worms and everyone with a trailer would be clogging up the scales. He told me this is exactly what they wanted because they wanted to see what was in all those trailers going up and down the highway, since 911. They also told me that they have found that a lot of retirees were subsidizing their retirement by transporting drugs from Mexico,California,Florida and New York.
I understood why they were pulling over landscapers trailers, but how about my race car trailer, his answer was, is their prise money at the race, and I answered yes, then he said it is considered commercial, the same as prises at a horse show. Another thing he talked about was securing fuel cans, a bungy cord is not good enough, they must be secure, and anything in that trailer must be secured. If you run your pick up truck down the highway with the tail gate down and a chain or a block of wood is laying in the bed not secured, it is a $500.00 fine.
He told us if your vehicle was over 10,000 gvw you must take it to an inspection station and get it inspected which must be displayed on both the truck and the trailer so that the weight master can see it and either wave you through or pull you around back. You must also have a fire extinguisher in both the truck and the trailer,and triangles or safety markers of some sort. Your mirrows must also be wide enough to see behind you and all of your lights must be working. I keep a log book although unless you are over 26,000 lbs it is not necessary but some sort of a report should be kept. You must also have the medical card and a valid drivers license.
My way around a lot of this is travel on the turnpikes when possible since they do not have scales. I have tried to tell the Hemi guys at the CC Events but they seemed to think that I was crazy, so Bob, I am glad you have brought this to everyones attention, sorry about the fine.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: BJS racing] #103043
Kissimmee, Florida
aarlucas Offline
top fuel
aarlucas  Offline
top fuel

Kissimmee, Florida
lloks like the problem just keeps getting bigger. This is on Competition Plus. They are trying to get a whole buch of people to go to Richard Childress Racing on the 26th for a big meeting on this subject.

"Steve Earwood, Chairman of the Board of The North Carolina Motorsports Association, has sent word that an EDUCATIONAL SEMINAR will be held at Richard Childress Racing, 425 Industrial Drive, Welcome, NC, from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 26, 2008. Attendees can park at the Childress Museum and walk a short distance to the race shop. The museum is the first building on the left when you turn onto Industrial Drive and cross the railroad tracks. Park there and walk to the race shop just down the street on the left.

Information about the seminar:

North Carolina Laws and Federal Regulations regarding registration/tags/driver credentials/size and weight/road use of vehicles used in the operation of a race team or individual racers.

There is no charge for the seminar and the information is imperative. Everyone should tell their friends and fellow racers.

The Seminar is being sponsored by the NCMA at no charge. Rep. Karen Ray is coordinating the seminar for the NCMA. There will be time given to questions and answers following the informational part of the seminar.

Under the auspices of Rep. Ray, Earwood and the NCMA are working on this issue with the State Highway Patrol, the Governor's office, the Secretary of Crime Control and Public Safety, DOT Secretary, Federal Motor Carriers, DMV, and the Legislative Staff. We are all working together diligently to address the concerns that are circulating and work toward resolutions. This seminar is one of the parts of the resolution and will provide extremely valuable information for those affected.

Earwood emphasizes that this is not a protest session; however, we do need a large turnout of those who are affected to voice our concerns and to hear alternatives to these very important issues."

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: Hemi Joe 4911] #103044
08/13/08 05:42 PM
08/13/08 05:42 PM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
Quote:

but how about my race car trailer, his answer was, is their prise money at the race, and I answered yes, then he said it is considered commercial, the same as prises at a horse show.

You must also have a fire extinguisher in both the truck and the trailer,and triangles or safety markers of some sort.

You must also have the medical card and a valid drivers license.

So if I read this right, my 2500 Ram, with my 2000# open trailer, and a Barracuda weighing in at less than 3000# would require me to have a CDL and all the good stuff that goes with it. This is also my daily commuter vehicle, so I will have to pay through the nose to get the proper insurance and licenses to cover me.

1) Looks like they are trying to kill racing.
2) Fire extinguisher on my open trailer. Wonder how many times that one will get stolen.
3) Medical Card. Good one. How about my VA Medical Card. Proves I bled for my country. But would probably piss off the revenue enhancement officer looking to make his quota.

Looks like PA is off my list forever, along with all other states that want to bleed us dry. Surely SEMA needs to be involved. This has the ability to kill off motor sports as well as the car show circuits.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12