rick, thanks for taking the time to try to help out here ! i followed the directions in a 1996 fsm for the removal of the heater/ac housing[my bus is a 2000, but i"think" the model years should be similar], and it said the cluster needed removed. i'm all for not taking more apart than necessary. in fact, the fsm said the wiper module needed removed as well as the alternator to access the retainer nuts for the assembly box and the heater hoses. i looked it over carefully, and determined that didn't need to happen, as it was very tight, but do-able if i was carefull. and it was, as i had very little trouble with those items. as to what i took loose, it was the upper dash cover[with the "message center"-this works correctly now after re-install] with the a pillar trim, the speaker/defrost tube cover, the heater ductwork[as attached to the heater/ac housing box], the passenger airbag[to get it out of the way-not a tough job], and the basic dash front parts[radio,consol trim, heat/ac controls,etc.], the cluster & trim [because it was in the way of the heater ductwork removal], plus the dash frame work/reinforcement pcs. as needed. i wish it wasn't that much, but i couldn't see any way out, as all that stuff is bolted/screwed into each other. i was very carefull when unplugging anything as to not damage the plug or component. as for the time it took, i work very slow due to health issues that prevent me from being very speedy. this could be why it took so long to do this job. plus the fact i didn't want to screw anything up - kind of a moot point in the fact that it doesn't work now........ i didn't get a chance to look at it yesterday, as i had a dr.'s appointment i forgot about. after coffee this morning, i'll try again, paying attention to the connection by the lower column, as i moved it some upon reassembly because i thought it was tight/rubbing the dash bracing upon re-assembly. i mite have pushed something out when i did that. i'm almost certain it's a connection problem, as there were no issues with the dash cluster before i got into this mess. magnumguy, i was real carefull unplugging the cluster because of the fragile nature of some solder joints. if i can't get this cluster to work again, and i replace it, i'll probably go with the tach cluster from a yard. i'll definately keep everyone updated, as this is a learning experiance for me [the "school of hard knocks"] and hopefully, this can be a helpful lesson to others who have [or want to] to do this repair themselves. in the meantime, any other ideas or tips will be GREATLY appreciated !!!!!!!!!