Heres the background. Car used to be 318/904 2bbl and I never had any issues. Then I switched to a 360/904 4bbl and thats when it started. When driving there is a fuel/fume smell inside the car and its very noticable, and starts to bother me when Im in the car for long rides, especially around town when I cant get a high volume of air flowing into the car.

There are two lines that come up towards the motor on the passenger side of the engine bay. One is the fuel line that runs from the fuel sender/fuel pump. The other, which also follows the fuel line from the tank, is what some people called a vapor line for emissions. They said it was definately not a fuel return line. Does it allow the fuel tank to vent properly, and not cause it to create a vacuum in the tank causing fuel starvation? Because when I go to refill my tank now there is a very noticable swoosh of air when I remove the gas cap, enough that it startled me the first time. Also, when I park the car, I can walk back into the garage and Im overpowered by the smell of gas/fumes. I even put on a brand new vented gas cap to rule that out since the one I had was so old, it had no effect.

My new carb, eddie 1406 does not a fitting for this vapor line? I have it blocked off right now, is this my problem. Should I just leave it open? Should it be hooked to a breather tube, or air cleaner?

roe

Last edited by roe; 04/06/11 11:00 PM.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG