Quote:

I have two pertronix (not II version) on two separate 383s. I am running the stock replacement coil from the parts store on each, with the ballast hooked up. Can I rid of the ballast? If so, can I take the wire leading to the ballast and tie it into the wire coming off? Both ballasts are single post (one of each side) versions as used originally when a single point setup was used.

If you by-pass the ballast resistor, you will be feeding the coil with 12v, which I believe overloads the coil. If you wish to connect the (+) red wire of the Pertronix to the coil and eliminate the routing to the ballast resistor ignition side, you will need to install at the minimum a Flamethrower coil.

This is the answer I got from Pertronix tech support yesterday when I asked them the very same thing:

Yes, you can bypass the resistor as long as you install a 1.5 ohm coil. The black epoxy is different then the original (shorter and slightly smaller, I recommend you use the black oil filled coil #40011, it looks original and you can run 12 volts

Last edited by hemi68charger; 02/03/11 09:24 AM.

Troy
Houston Mopar Connection Club
'69 Charger Daytona 440 - auto - 4.10 Dana (now with 426 hemi)
'69 Charger 500 440 - 4speed - 3.54 Dana
'70 Road Runner 383 - 4speed - a/c (now with 440)