I looked at this car pretty hard. The #'s stamped under the front head say the bottom end was assembled approx 3 months and 1 week before the cars SPD. That scared me. The numbers on the tranny are a mess but the assembly date coincides with the SPD, less than a month before. Without seeing the car in person or getting close up clear pics of the Vin #'s showing the broaching marks you have to be skeptical or you can get burned, old ladies car or not (which is what this car is claimed to be by the seller). In big block land from my experience, engine assembly dates over 3 mo's (heck, 2 months is a stretch IMO) before the cars SPD screams possible restamp or in the very least you need to investigate/scrutinize the stampings further IMO to authenticate. Yeah, the car looks to be untouched but you never know till you look at it in person or get extremely detailed pics beforehand and even then..It's a cool car none the less. We are talking about a 71' 340 Duster car here BTW, and for what it's worth I at one point in time had a driver status survivor 73' 340 Dart Sport (all orig paint, guaranteed orig engine never opened up with orig gaskets till I opened it up to change the rear main seal) and the (orig paint still) engine assembly was approx 2 weeks before the cars SPD-I know were not comparing apples to apples here, 71' vs 73' anyway, but at least it's a 340 A-body to compare to. In my experience (admittedly mostly with big blocks), a couple weeks before and up to a month before the cars SPD seems to be the accepted "norm" for engine assembly dates and my personal experience with guaranteed original engines. You never know I suppose, SPD's are just that, scheduled, not guaranteed. I'd like to believe that is the original engine for the vehicle, you just need to thoroughly check it out before you pull the trigger if you truly want a guaranteed orig engine vehicle..and that probably means a visual inspection by you or someone knowlegeable in this case. If I was on the west coast I would have already checked it out.

Last edited by A12RTX2340; 01/28/11 06:01 PM.