Moparts

Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct?

Posted By: blewbyu

Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 02:09 AM

anyone know if this looks correct?

thanks

Attached picture 6438557-71enginevinnumber.jpg
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 02:23 AM

Is the trans identical?

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 02:29 AM

Quote:

Is the trans identical?

even harder to read tranny vin

Attached picture 6438621-71trannyvin.jpg

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 02:32 AM

Hard to tell from your pics - can't see the machining marks. Anytime I see goofy, double, triple, jittery hits like that I tend to believe it was factory. Saw a Hemi engine hit a few times between the pad and the core plug!

Again - need to see if the pad is flat and still has the proper machining marks.

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 02:39 AM

was curious about those 1 if they looked correct, looks like a crazy design for a 1.

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 02:55 AM

Check out the two different 1's on this one - this is 100% real.

Attached picture 6438709-engvinRG.jpg

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 03:26 AM

Quote:

Check out the two different 1's on this one - this is 100% real.

The 1's on my pic have the _ foot on the bottom and yours only have a straight leg straight down with no _foot

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 04:23 AM

We got rid of the foot when our government forced us into metric

I'll have to look at some more but the foot does look a litle odd. How are the casting dates and EAD on the block? How is the date code on the trans.....do they fit in with the cars SPD?
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 04:45 AM

Since that car has an SPD in oct 1970, the trans date code looks like it could work.

It looks like 3329 which is early sept 1970

you need to see fonts for the engine from the LA plant, not Hammy.
Posted By: 70plymA34

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 04:46 AM

nothing wrong with that vin stamping at all. Is that an LA build car??? LA used that style 1 on their stampings on their engine and trans pads
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 04:51 AM

I have seen ALLOT of VERY poor VIN stampings on engines and transmissions with LA built cars.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 05:01 AM

Quote:

you need to see fonts for the engine from the LA plant, not Hammy.

Attached picture 6438944-footed1on1970LAengine.JPG
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 05:02 AM

Quote:

I have seen ALLOT of VERY poor VIN stampings on engines and transmissions with LA built cars.

They typoed body VIN numbers quite a bit too.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 05:33 AM

I was comparing notes with a friend this last weekend concerning LA cars, between us we have several LA built cars that appeared completely unmolested but have transmissions which were proper in every way (assembly dates, part#'s etc.) but they recieved no VIN stamping at all, but the engines did. They were not warranty transmissions either.
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 12:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They typoed body VIN numbers quite a bit too.

Posted By: anlauto

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 12:58 PM

You have to consider the car in question too...It's an unrestored project Duster....Not a lot of people put effort into forging VIN numbers of $5K project cars that appear to have never been taken apart.
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 01:18 PM

Arnt high end dusters going for the same as low end e-body cars these days????

So you would not restore a duster huh??? Not worth it??

Great way to drum up some work...NOT.
Posted By: EV2DEMON

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 02:12 PM

Quote:

Holy taking something out of context Batman!

Truth is that the engine in question is in an unrestored 340 project car that, like it or not, is worth about $5000. Seems like a lot of work to restamp a blcok, put it into a car, add grease, oil, and worn paint so that it looks completely original, and then sell it for maybe $500 more than a similar non matching car.
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 02:26 PM

Quote:

What the heck ?

Here's my reply in the thread pertaining to this VIN question...

Quote:

That's an awesome Duster to restore...The guy has quite a bit of new parts as well...I could see $5K for the car and another $2500 for the parts...I'll go $8K MAX ...

Great car when done...Bright red, black vinyl roof, stripes...hood pins, rear wing, cassette, pretty loaded for a Duster

Anybody wanting to buy this can certainly send it my way for a restoration...I love 71 Dusters

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/26/11 02:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Holy taking something out of context Batman!

Truth is that the engine in question is in an unrestored 340 project car that, like it or not, is worth about $5000. Seems like a lot of work to restamp a blcok, put it into a car, add grease, oil, and worn paint so that it looks completely original, and then sell it for maybe $500 more than a similar non matching car.

I really did not think it was restamped, just never seen a 1 like that out here in the east coast cars motors and thought it looked different. I am thinking about the car and can not see the car in person and wanted some input.
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/28/11 08:29 AM

I seen the other post and was just pulling your chain since your looking for work in some posts. Sorry if it was taken wrong...What I was getting at is it seems some of the nicer dusters are pulling more then some of the early 70s e bodies...

Hey if people are now making fake F-body fender tags, they will restamp a 5k duster, not to imply this was.
Posted By: Iceman01

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/28/11 05:37 PM

My trans has the goofy multiple-, angled-, light-strike stamp. No picture handy, it is comforting to know I'm not alone...
Posted By: A12RTX2340

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/28/11 06:20 PM

I looked at this car pretty hard. The #'s stamped under the front head say the bottom end was assembled approx 3 months and 1 week before the cars SPD. That scared me. The numbers on the tranny are a mess but the assembly date coincides with the SPD, less than a month before. Without seeing the car in person or getting close up clear pics of the Vin #'s showing the broaching marks you have to be skeptical or you can get burned, old ladies car or not (which is what this car is claimed to be by the seller). In big block land from my experience, engine assembly dates over 3 mo's (heck, 2 months is a stretch IMO) before the cars SPD screams possible restamp or in the very least you need to investigate/scrutinize the stampings further IMO to authenticate. Yeah, the car looks to be untouched but you never know till you look at it in person or get extremely detailed pics beforehand and even then..It's a cool car none the less. We are talking about a 71' 340 Duster car here BTW, and for what it's worth I at one point in time had a driver status survivor 73' 340 Dart Sport (all orig paint, guaranteed orig engine never opened up with orig gaskets till I opened it up to change the rear main seal) and the (orig paint still) engine assembly was approx 2 weeks before the cars SPD-I know were not comparing apples to apples here, 71' vs 73' anyway, but at least it's a 340 A-body to compare to. In my experience (admittedly mostly with big blocks), a couple weeks before and up to a month before the cars SPD seems to be the accepted "norm" for engine assembly dates and my personal experience with guaranteed original engines. You never know I suppose, SPD's are just that, scheduled, not guaranteed. I'd like to believe that is the original engine for the vehicle, you just need to thoroughly check it out before you pull the trigger if you truly want a guaranteed orig engine vehicle..and that probably means a visual inspection by you or someone knowlegeable in this case. If I was on the west coast I would have already checked it out.

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/28/11 06:47 PM

I have seen a few big block LA built cars and all of them had very close engine assembly dates to SPD's. from a few weeks to a month.
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/28/11 09:44 PM

I've seen a few 70 model year LA built cars with original drivetrain assy dates in the Dec-Jan range, and the SPD's were in the March-April range. That being said, they are most likely the exception to the norm.

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/28/11 10:22 PM

Quote:

I've seen a few 70 model year LA built cars with original drivetrain assy dates in the Dec-Jan range, and the SPD's were in the March-April range. That being said, they are most likely the exception to the norm.

Once again nothng is the norm with these cars,LOL
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 01/31/11 06:20 PM

Quote:

I looked at this car pretty hard. The #'s stamped under the front head say the bottom end was assembled approx 3 months and 1 week before the cars SPD. That scared me. The numbers on the tranny are a mess but the assembly date coincides with the SPD, less than a month before. Without seeing the car in person or getting close up clear pics of the Vin #'s showing the broaching marks you have to be skeptical or you can get burned, old ladies car or not (which is what this car is claimed to be by the seller). In big block land from my experience, engine assembly dates over 3 mo's (heck, 2 months is a stretch IMO) before the cars SPD screams possible restamp or in the very least you need to investigate/scrutinize the stampings further IMO to authenticate. Yeah, the car looks to be untouched but you never know till you look at it in person or get extremely detailed pics beforehand and even then..It's a cool car none the less. We are talking about a 71' 340 Duster car here BTW, and for what it's worth I at one point in time had a driver status survivor 73' 340 Dart Sport (all orig paint, guaranteed orig engine never opened up with orig gaskets till I opened it up to change the rear main seal) and the (orig paint still) engine assembly was approx 2 weeks before the cars SPD-I know were not comparing apples to apples here, 71' vs 73' anyway, but at least it's a 340 A-body to compare to. In my experience (admittedly mostly with big blocks), a couple weeks before and up to a month before the cars SPD seems to be the accepted "norm" for engine assembly dates and my personal experience with guaranteed original engines. You never know I suppose, SPD's are just that, scheduled, not guaranteed. I'd like to believe that is the original engine for the vehicle, you just need to thoroughly check it out before you pull the trigger if you truly want a guaranteed orig engine vehicle..and that probably means a visual inspection by you or someone knowlegeable in this case. If I was on the west coast I would have already checked it out.

On the most part I would agree but I think 1971 might be the exception. I think Chrysler did not expect the major drop off that they had in production from 70 to 71.

For example I have a 340 that is cast in February of 71 yet it has a 1972 VIN.

1971 might be a year of bad forcasting
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 02/03/11 02:58 AM

Dec 1969 SBD .
LA plant - 1970 Challenger 340 auto

Attached picture 6453962-A2.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Font and vin number of engine block, is it correct? - 02/03/11 02:58 AM

trans

Attached picture 6453966-A1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums