My mistake, the shelf MM 305 is a dual pattern. The MM 293 I have in the motor at the moment is a single pattern cam.

I will say that while Jim has had excellent results with that MM 305, I'd be willing to bet some bucks that a sharp cam guy could grind up a single pattern cam for Jim's motor that would make his car faster. I would also assume that another equally sharp cam guy could then figure out a dual pattern cam that would once again improve the performance.

On a related front, I've been doing some dyno testing on my 514 motor with split pattern cams and split rocker arm ratios. So the cam has different intake and exhaust lobes, and the rocker arms are 1.85 on the intake and 1.70 on the exhaust. I might drop the exhaust all the way down to 1.55 next time I run some tests. So there are a couple of more variable to be tossed into the punch bowl.

I'll go back to what I said earlier in this thread: I believe the subject is too complicated for anyone to fully understand. You can make plenty of power with either type of cam. If you have the money and time for testing then you can start to optimize around your specific combination. You can continue to optimize until you run out of money.

Last edited by AndyF; 12/18/10 04:57 PM.