It would be nice to approach this question with an open mind. I know this is Moparts and the general feel of the site has evolved in a different direction but where better to try to revive the old atmosphere...lol

Here's my opinon...I think as with most of engine theory, one has to look at how far one is willing to go. If the one perfect lobe relationship is indeed individualistic to every engine and use, then we could use a pyramid analogy with the perfect relationship and max power is the top or point, poor relationship and lost power is the base, and we're looking to find the relationship that best fits our engine, that's affordable, and that's as close to the point as possible. In terms of techonolgy, a builder can use the port, the valve job, the manifolding, and the cam to optimize the airflow into and out of any engine. There is no perfect relationship unless you are talking identical builds, otherwise the variables add up and "your results may vary". FAST guys have to overcome a bunch of things and do some strange things to run well. I wouldnt call them, or the perfectly scienced out race engine good examples of what to do. Andy's the closest because he's testing his stuff, in a running environment, one part, one change at a time. Like Jim says, modern cam lobe designs are even making what we use to compare lobes confusing with assymetrical lobes and duration measurements that don't specify if there's more on the opening ramp or closing ramp...lol. Over all, I think in terms of exh flow out, you dont need as much lift or duration if the support parts all work well for your intended rpm range. The further you get from that point, the more generalities are assumed and generally, most engines of any sort benefit from more exh duration and lift because the rest of the parts create issues impeding exh efficiency and flow.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.