First of all I wish this cat all the very best. He is doing something that he obviously had thought about for a long time. Could he have made a better choice in picking a car that was not a "HEMI" born car, sure he could have. The thing is it is a "HEMI" car, it's not a lightweight factory drag car so yes it would have full undercoating as well. But I can certainly relate to what he is doing. I had a very good customer come to me back in 2000 and said that he just purchased a '66 HEMI Coronet 2dr. sedan and he wants to turn it into a drag racer, an old school nostalgia super stocker. Did I mention this car, which was a column shift automatic "HEMI" car, only had 33 miles on it? Yes "33" miles. Remember the customer is always right. Originally this car was campaigned by Super Stock racer Tom Cructhfield. I know that this guy did really well in a '65 HEMI Coronet the year before and this '66 Dodge ran is A/S. Trust me I wrestled with the idea of taking what could be a cool unusual Hemi 2dr. sedan car and doing what this customer wanted to do. I mean this guy was hot to trot and wanted the entire back end all trimmed out for 14-32 slicks and everything that is just wrong for one of these cars. I guess when you have money to burn maybe certain things just don't matter unlike someone that has to earn his dough to fund his cars, let alone cut up a legit HEMI born car these days. Finally I got through to him after months of discussion on why we shouldn't destroy a factory built HEMI Dodge. So we compromised. I took that "33" mile Dodge and I did exactly what the customer wanted. Believe me once you make the first cut it does get easier. Since the car was very solid with the exception of the front floor pan was completely rotted out because it was a rubber floor mat car, it made my job easier. From there I tied the frame, installed a chromemoly 12 point roll cage as the car was designed to run around the 9.50 mark. I did a very tasteful mini tub job and I left all of the original "HEMI specific torque boxes and tie plates in. This way people would not mistake this for anything other than a factory hemi car. Open the trunk and yes it still looks rather stock. We set the car up to run on the 10.5" tire and a ladder bar suspension with Koni double adjustable shocks. The manner in which the car was done didn't really take anything away from it since I made it to be reversed some day if some body decided to. The rest is just sheetmetal and the car was going to need that anyway so we ended up with a bad azzed nostalgia Super Stock car that looks like it is 1966 all over again. It still is a "HEMI and yes it went 9.21 @ 132 on it's maiden voyage with Ray Barton supplying the 900 horses! Hopefully the gentleman with the '67 car has as much fun as we have. Live them to the fullest guys! JC.

6247366-Image(1).jpg (165 downloads)