BRYX512, so if i can't (or won't) run an alternator, and have a 110 reserve bluetop, I would like to come up with a plan that can get me through later rounds, which are back to back.
To give you an idea of the draw on the battery for a run, I use an MSD digital seven, CCI command center, and run the mezier water pump only, no fan needed. I have a belt type fuel pump. The injection system takes a lot of cranking to get it going, and I start the motor about five times at about five seconds cranking each time. So the draw on the battery would be per round-
Water pump..... 5 min...7 amps
Ignition....... 5 min...2.5 amps avg
Starter..five starts at 5 sec each at 150 amps
Command center. 5 min .5 amps
(I will look up the draw for the pump, ign and command center and edit)
So my question is, to keep the battery at 12.75 volts or higher through out the run, what percentage of charge will it take and what is the best way to keep it there. Max draw during the run is 15 amps.
This is what I am thinking;
First off, I assume I should purchase the right charger to top off the battery before starting for the day, which will give me extra reserve. Then early rounds, where I have more time, use the good charger. Later rounds at a certain charge loss and beyond, use the bigger charger on start to give me enough reserve to get by?
Can I use my other charger on high during warm up to keep the battery charge high? Warm up takes about five to seven minutes with alky.
A battery does not charge in a linear manor, correct? Meaning, it restores less and less of the reserve as it approaches full charge? That is what I see with the gauge, at least.

Last edited by gregsdart; 10/03/10 10:02 AM.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky