Quote:

Hello Bryx512,

So what I am hearing is that the spiral plates on the Optima batteries are very thin and heat quickly when charging creating the off gassing of the acid mixture. That is why it is proper to charge at low amperages. Preventing the boil-off process. What I do not understand is how sound waves charge a battery? I think you mean that monitoring a battery using sound waves is the correct way and not actually sound waves charging the battery?

Damon

Hello,
First, let me say that I have and have used many different types of batteries and currently I have 7 Optima's (Red and Yellow top) all older than 6 years and still going strong!

All batteries are made with one or two purposes in mind. Hence the options offered to us.
I think you have two questions so I will take them in order...If I miss your meaning please let me know.
1) Are the spiral plates in an Optima thin to a fault?
No, not really, Optima's are built to be one of the most rugged batteries on the market. They are built to handle a lot of vibration. Since lead is one of the major components (and is getting more expensive by the day), weight is a factor. The thickness of the continuous lead is slightly thinner but packed tightly enough to not break apart. The heating issue is mainly due to the reduction of fluid. There is no free flowing water and acid. It is absorbed by the fiber mat that sandwiches the lead.
2) Sound waves charging a battery?
Yes, you can charge a battery with sound waves. Simply put,to charge a battery you need to move as many free electrons from the lead atoms on the positive plates and put them on the negative plates. You do this by either pushing or pulling those electrons. Maybe think of the sound waves like it turns a battery into a microwave. It excites the atoms and the pressure those waves make move them in a direction. The charger also uses those waves to determine charge acceptance and the "health" of the battery. I hope that made any sense.

Fred, I know what you mean! This post proves I rarely sleep myself!