Quote:

Quote:

Is it necessary to use the e-core coil? If so, where can it be found? I know nothing about this type of coil.

X2

Ok, ill explain it best I can... you don't HAVE to use the e-core, but you can make the most of the HEI by using it.

Your typical canister coil falls into two catagories. 1) .5 ohms primary resistance 2) 1 - 1.5 ohms primary resistance. Most performance aftermarket coils and early chysler coils are .5 ohm coils. The late model chrysler coils are in the 1.5 catagory. The ballast resistor turns the .5 ohms of resistance into 1.5 ohms resistance. The reason: at .5 ohms the canistor coil will overheat and cook itself to death.

The e-core coil: resistance is .5 ohms BUT due to its design, will not cook itself allowing it to operate with less resistance, and therefore with more powerful spark.

A canistor coil CAN be used with the HEI. If it is a coil used with the chrysler ECU or a .5 ohm aftermarket coil, you MUST retain the ballast resistor. If it is a late model coil, as used in chrylser "lean burn" systems, you don't need the ballast, cuz the coil is already 1.5 ohms. However doing it this limits the potential of the HEI upgrade. Using the e-core will use the full potential of the HEI module. The e-core desgn is used on chevys and fords. The e-core I will be after is on 1996-2000 chevy trucks and suvs, and possibly many others. Reason: uses a sealed connector, and has three wires: coil + coil - and tach. I will post a pic of some e-core coils here momentarily