Quote:

I think a lot of people have issues with carburetors because ... they buy a new one and take it from the box and bolt it on and then get angry when it doesn't work perfectly.

Fully. Just because you dropped $400 on a new carb, does't mean you can plop it on your engine and expect it to be 100% perfect for your application. Was talking to one self-proclaimed gear-head who was complaining about the poor performance of his holley 750 vac carb. The thought never even occured to him to buy a jet kit! Nevermind messing with accelerator pump shots, pump cams, secondary springs, etc.

You want to know why the efi stuff I spent so much money on has sat on the shelf for the past 3 years instead of on my 440? I spent some time tuning the choke and primaries on my thermoquad and got it to the point where any time I drove the car(spring-fall) I could get in the car, give it 3 pumps, hit the key, let it warm for 30 seconds, kick it down and go. The motivation to change to the efi stuff I had is just not there.

Another issue I see is what type of carb to run for what you want out of it. You want driveability, mileage and performance? Then I think you should be looking at spreadbore carbs with a well tuned choke instead of the square bore holleys with the milled choke horn. Really depends on the application IMO.

But you are right, a carb will never adapt and react like an EFI system. That and a port efi never has the wet flow issues which should make start-up smoother.