“Facts” that I have found about the True Spirits are scarce and often contradictory even when coming from the same source. Here is what I have found out and a few suppositions (that make sense to me anyway). I want to preface this with I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THESE TRUCKS. The following is just what I have read and surmised.

Chrysler historical has no records on the True Spirits. The archives were apparently in the process of moving during the period the trucks were built so apparently things like build sheets or IBM cards were even saved. As a trim package there is nothing specific in the VIN to identify a real TS.

The first batch of True Spirits were released by Chrysler along with the first batch of Warlocks to test market reaction to a factory custom truck. One source I have says “approximately 200” and another says “less than 200” True Spirits were built in 76.

I have read the Warlocks and True Spirits were sent to LA “and” San Francisco but another book seems to indicate only Warlocks went to LA and the initial True Spirits went to SF. All were supposed to be 100 series Shortbed Stepsides and the True Spirits were available in 2WD only.

I “believe” all the original Warlocks and True Spirits test vehicles were factory done. When the Warlock was chosen for nation wide release the True Spirit was relegated to a dealer installed California only package thru 1979 (based on a picture of what was supposed to be a 79 truck I saw in the internet. They (the original True Spirits) were supposed to be limited to a few select colors like the Warlocks. However as a dealer option the stripes could conceivably be applied to any color truck. I have see pictures of both long and short bed sweptline True Spirits and short bed Utiline in both 2 and 4WD.

To me it appears the True Spirits were intended as kind of a striped down (cheaper) version of the Warlock. The ones I have seen have painted instead of chrome steps, the pin striping lacks the added flourishes found on the Warlocks, they don’t appear to have come with side racks, and the dashes and inside of the doors do not appear to have been pin striped. I have heard other owners mention the lack of factory options (like AC, Tuff Wheel or bucket seats) on their truck, and the only options on mine were the 440, PS and PBs, not even a radio) From what I’ve read the most common engine for the original True Spirits were the slant 6 and 318. In the 76 Model year it appears that the tailgates had Dodge instead on True Spirit decals on them like 76 Warlocks.

I suspect the True Spirit package (after the WARLOCK was selected for nation wide production) was probably used by a few dealers to help “fancy up” dealer inventory of plain solid color trucks.

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears) under construction