As the “original” Warlocks and True Spirits were factory produced to test market reaction and I think it would have been pretty much the factory that determined what options were put on the original trucks……..I’m guessing kind of a mixed bag of things to see what the public reacted favorably to.

After June 11 1976 when the Warlock became part of the Adult Toy Series the trucks probably took different paths.

The trucks would have been ordered as Warlocks and that package would have been in specific Warlock colors or a “999” special order paint. The Warlock package cost an additional $1,135 in 1976 and would have included specific items standard to the package that besides the stripes would include the chrome steps, chrome bumpers,Tuff Wheel, Spoke Wheels, side boards, and bucket seats. The person ordering the truck could have additionally added other options such as engine size, 4wd, AC, PS, upgraded stereo etc…..and probably even have requested deletion of certain Warlock specific items i.e. standard steering wheel instead of Tuff Wheel, stock steel wheels (especially if he were planning on adding aftermarket wheels), bench seat etc and been given credit for the downgrades. The Truck would have been delivered to the dealer as ordered.

In the case of the True Spirits being a dealer installed option means just that. The customer (or dealer) would have ordered the truck in any color with as many or as few options as they liked. There would have been a part number available for the stripe kit that would be ordered separately and installed in house at the dealer (or farmed out) after they took delivery of the truck. This would likely have only shown up on the dealer invoice that the customer received and be the only documentation that it was in fact a True Spirit.

That being said at this point I would consider almost any True Spirit that looks to have its 30 year old paint and stripes intact as legitimate. The reasons being;

it is currently a little know package,

no one is currently and as far as I know ever did reproduce the stripe kits for them,

as such a little known package that would be very hard to verify without original paperwork the demand does not exist for it as is the case with the LRT and Warlocks. Without the demand the money is just not there at this time to clone one for profit as it would be to cone LRE or Warlock.

Last edited by Mike P; 07/23/08 07:49 AM.

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears)