Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lining up the marks should be ok.

This is the most ignorant statement I think I've ever witnessed on this board.

Think the 440 that I "lined up the marks" on with the MP .528 mechanical and Cloyes true roller that was retarded 8* would've run right?!

Look folks, it's an easy procedure and it's not for getting that last tenth or 2 out of the motor. It's to assure that the parts were stamped/ground/assembled correctly. Spent the effort and the 15 minutes to do it right! For the money you spend on the rest of the motor isn't it worth it to make sure you don't make it into garbage on startup?!

Silly rabbit, first of all HE isnt running a high lift mechanical camshaft. We put together street engines all the time without degreeing in the camshaft. Before U jump out and put your foot in your mouth, you need to compare apples to apples. No doubt there are advantages in some HP applications where degreeing in your camshaft is advantageous. I didnt say there was never ever a need to degree in a camshaft. But nearly stock engines get put together everyday all across the country that dont get have degreed in camshafts. Come on now, it wasnt the most ignorant posting you have ever ever seen in Moparts. Your a little full of yourself arent ya. Yea yea, go ahead my friend and degree in your camshaft and jump from 16.50s to 12s. Thats your problem. doh!!

I disagree. I bought a new sealed in the factory box Mopar purple 440 6 pack restoration camshaft. My engine builder checks EVERY single part new or used. Well it`s a good thing he measured it before he installed it. It turned out the person who boxed up this cam had put a 590 solid lifter cam in this box. Right box, right part number WRONG cam! Hmmm, a solid lifter cam with hydraulic lifters. I`ve always degreed every single cam I ever installed no matter if it was a stock sized cam or a performance cam. I can just imagine what would have happened when first firing this engine if my engine builder just installed this cam and never checked it and then just lined up the dots on the timing gears....KABOOM! So, it`s not a point of being full of yourself, it`s the difference between a shade tree mechanic and a professional mechanic and for the 15 minutes it takes to degree a camshaft you`d be crazy not to do it. Listen to the guys on here. Buy yourself an advance timing light, a vacuum guage, and a compression tester. Then if need be, get a fuel pressure guage. If you can`t afford to buy these tools I`m sure someone at the track or one of your other friends would be more than willing to help you. You`ll never fix your car by just throwing more money at it. Something is definately out of whack with your car. Diagnose it, adjust it, then enjoy the heck out of it once you`ve solved your problem.