Quote:

What made you decide to build it this way?

Pistons were in the block when I got it. The pistons were pert near new. I have no idea how long ago it was rebuilt but I've owned the block for over a decade before I tore into it. It looked like it had been run low on oil. We polished the crank, new bearings, new rings, pin fit the rods, and resized the big end and put it back together. I helped in the machine shop quite a bit to keep my bill down. I'm a student (though a rather old one). The goal was to keep the price as low as possible while also purchasing any long term parts that could be reused many times (i.e. rocker assembly, heads).

The next question is "why a 440 then?" or something along those lines. That is what was in the truck when I got it and was one of the reasons I got the truck. I got it about 3 years ago so my wife and I could work on our house without having to rent a truck or pay for delivery. I could have gotten something more reasonable but that wouldn't be any fun. When the crank broke in the truck in September I decided it was best to use the block I had in storage and save the one from the truck for later (still not quite sure what went wrong, I was following a Honda minivan on a ramp onto the interstate so you know I wasn't reaming the pi$$ out of it).

I use the truck frequently as a daily driver; use it to haul lumber, yard supplies, and occasionally new appliances; never use it on the strip; and some times use it to turn rice into rice crispies.

I also have a dog and cat.

Answering these kinds of questions really doesn't solve the issue or even help anyone really learn much. It is what it is man. But some people just gotta know I guess.