...until now. We went to a local dyno today. To get some reference one of the Europes quickest pro stockers having run low 6.7's on European tacks made 1290 hp there. I'm not going to refer any maximum numbers or so because they are kind of useless here since it mademore than we can use and the things re pretty relative anyway.

Our car weighs a bit under 3600 lbs and it has run a best of 7.89/174 mph on DOT tires. It has never really been tuned either chassis or engine wise, and I think it worked pretty good. Now that we put it to the dyno we first got the EFI tuned so that it runs almost like a stock 440 at idle, no fumes and good throttle response. That alone would have been worth the visit.

I took the engine apart during the winter, but theshort block was put together with the same regular moly rings and same bearings etc. Only change was the well served cam to a new slightly different grind and Harlan Sharp rocker arms replacing the well served Ersons. The engine is a 478 RB wedge with a 8.6:1 cr, twin garrets with A/A intercooler, Autronic SM 4 ECU, Weldon fuel pump and regulator etc. etc. The ignition is MSD 7 AL2 and the coil a MSD blaster 2. This is our first turbo build up, and we have run it for three years now, maybe some 50 "passanger" runs, really just driving it without any "program" to try to tune it.

Now today at the dyno we got to fix the cold operation, and now the car starts and runs great without sooting the plugs. It was VERY VERY rich at part throttle, and propably the savings in gas consumption alone will pay for the dyno. We got what we wanted, and proved the things we already knew. The vital theory numbers were very good, but the engine peaked out way lower than we had thought. It really didn't loose much power even above that even though the boost came down and the exhaust pressure came closer and even crossed the boost.

We have wound the engine up to 7500 at the track, the stall with 2/3 SAE 80 trans fluid is about 6200 at full boost and we have shifted at 7100. Well, the engine made peak power at 6100! In the first run the tune up was like it was in the record run and it made 996 hp at 4000 and 1260 hp at 5500. When we had made the adjustments it made 1100 hp at 4000 and 1513 hp at 5500! And that was with 8psi less boost than in the beginning. Should be in time to get some more brewages until the shop closes!

The greates thing in my opinion is that the engine didn't need anything mechanically during the about 10 dyno pulls during the three hours in the dyno.

Plynouth VIP '67 TT IC EFI