I know adhesive is not the proper way to fix the stripped rocker shaft bolt. But what do I have to loose!

I have at least 4 good unused threads at the bottom of the hole. I am going to clean the hole very well with brake cleaner, allowing sufficient dry time, and then I am going to fill the bottom of the hole with JB Weld. I will strip the black anodizing off the stud’s threads and thread it all the way to the bottom into wet adhesive. I anticipate gluing the bottom one inch of the stud in. With the good threads I have I shouldn’t have to count on the adhesive for too much holding strength since all I really need is to keep from pulling out the remaining threads.

Has anyone ever tried something like this? If you have, what adhesive did you use? I see three main choices. First is JB Weld. Another possibility is Permatex’s Stripped Thread Repair Kit. The only other one I could find was Loctite’s Form-A-Thread. I am leaning toward the JB Weld since it is good to 600* and the others are only good to 300*. Besides that I have no experience with the other products but I have used JB Weld.

Does anyone else have an opinion on adhesives? Has anyone tried any of the products I mentioned above? Is there another product I haven’t considered?

NOTE: Edelbrock now ships their BB Mopar heads with studs included for the four oiling holes. They didn’t used to do this. In fact this appears to be so new that they don’t have the stud part numbers set up for ordering in their systems yet. For reference the Edelbrock part numbers for the stud, nut and washer are 36-6091, 36-6092 and 36-6093.

Last edited by ChrisDavis; 04/22/10 08:27 PM.