I have some history with this car. I use to work for Beatty and Woods when I was in high school. One of my jobs was to wash and wax the race car.
When it had to be taken off the trailer and pushed into the shop I got steer the car. Also, when we went to Cayuga or St. Thomas I got to be towed around in the pits and into the staging lanes. It was quite a thrill especialy when you are a teenager.
I remember helping Curley, who was the man responsible for building the engines and maintaining the car. I do not remember Curleys last name. He was kind of a crotchety guy but for some reason he took a liking to me.
They said that the car used to be the Motown Missle,but at the time I did not know if this true or if they were just jerking my chain.
Whatever it was at the time it did not matter because the only thing I knew was that it was a way cool car.
Now that I have seen the old pictures from Cayuga I realize the this car was indeed the Motown Missile.
I did have to laugh when I saw the picture of the car on the trailer.
I was told to move the parts truck and ran into the left front fender on the trailer.I can see the tweak in the fender. I could have been at the track that very day.
I ran into Chuck Beatty a few years ago and one of the first questions I asked him was "where is my 'cuda" He shook his head and said "sorry kid we sold it quite a while back" Kid....still cracks me up.
Anyways He also told me that Mike Woods passed away.He was a great guy.
It is great that the car has been saved. I do feel a connection to this car.
If you are curious,yes I still race. I guess this car had a big impact on me.
Can't wait till it gets done...Thanks for the memories