max-lug pump gear the hard way
here is my story. When I got the max lug gears for the pump, they have no instructions and I installed the gear with the beveled and angled pump tangs towards the converter. This installation was wrong, and because of the bevel/angled tangs, the converter will sit further back, that is why I thought the converter was installed all the way.
Anyhow, I got a new pump from Cope which comes with the max lug gears. Installed it and fought with trying to get the converter installed for several hours. I pulled the pump several times checking that the converter fit the input and stator splines, then the threads in the case started to pull, so I heli-coiled the holes for the pump housing. I finally pulled the max lug gear out of the pump and closely inspected it, and it has a really sharp machined lip on the inner front of the gear, that the converter must have been hitting. I took my dremel with a small grinding stone and put a slight chamfer around the machined lip, so the converter would not carch the sharp edge. Put the pump back together and the converter finally dropped fully into place
Anyhow, I hope to get the trans back into the car today, but need my sleep now..