If you decide to go with a stroker in the future (which would completely blow your 1000 dollar budget) stay far away from the eagle cast crankshaft. It is a bit of a fragile piece. Scat makes a very affordable 4340 I beam rod with capscrews and it's a full floating setup. Eagle has an I beam rod, the SIR that is cheaper yet, but not as strong as the Scat. I'd recommend the new aftermarket rod selection rather than rebuilding stock rods as this will make rod lengths much more consistent, which, if you are shooting for a good quench setup, will make it much easier. It's somewhat difficult to rebuild stock rods and make them all the same length without converting them to full floating rods, and by the time you do that, you could have had new rods.
I'm a little concerned about your smog requirements. I've never had to build a performance smog motor and I am unsure how difficult it would be to stay under the CO requirements. What is your octane available at the pump, and what measurement is used to get that number? I know it's different from country to country and some 98 octane may be the same as our 91 or less